Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RNS-E with DVD player and TV installed. Also the Dietz multimedia and video in motion adapter.

Sometimes when I'm driving, for a few seconds the message (in red) appears 'TV not installed'. I can't tell there's a sudden frequence or pattern in the appereance, but I wonder what it is. After the message the video is going on normally, only the message appears. Can it be the Dietz 'standing still'-simulation of the'video in motion adapter? I talked to another guy on the forum by e-mail and he has exactly the same issue.

Like to hear!

Albert

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If there is a lot CAN traffic it may happen that the "enable TV" message gets delayed and without that message the RNS-E will simply blank the screen and show "TV not installed". I have seen that the RNS-E will be fine with the "enable TV" message sent every 1000ms (normal interval is 100ms) but if a lot happens, there might be more than 1s delay between the mesages. Another reason might be a lot "noise" not he CAN wires if they are not properly twisted and terminated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree that it may be a problem with your can wiring itself. Audi is very specific with the details for the CAN wiring in the car, and the Dietz 1417 certainly does not follow suit. I can tell you that I have the OEM TV tuner installed (along with bluetooth, sat radio, MFSW, and ADR V1 interface on CAN) and I have never seen this problem.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I have seen it once with a Dietz 1280/1417 combination. I installed this setup into an A3 and later the owner said this was happening frequently.

Never had a chance for the owner to return and investigate the problem yet.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i had this problem for a little while, but it is ok now..

- my ME3/1417/1280 were working flawlessly for ~2 months..
- i swapped Nav units and for some reason and when i put it back together i got "TV no installed" message quite a bit..
- i tore it back apart and double check everything, but did find anything wrong.. i put it back together and still had the issue..
- i tore it apart again and still no success..
- i tore it apart a 3rd time, triple checked everything (found nothing wrong), put it back together and VOILA it worked..
- it has been working flawlessly for over a year now, but i have to admit i am affraid to tear it apart..
- i never found a specific or noticeable problem, but i assume there was some small intermittant contact somewhere in the mess of wires behind my dash..

i wish i have more to say, but at least you are not alone..

good luck..

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's happening on my set up too...

It's happening on my set up too... I've got the D1417 and D1380 (video splitter), ME3, Phatbox, Amplified TV antenna, shark fin upgrade. I'm wondering if it could be the switch under the dash that enables video in motion.

Michael
'02 6SP M

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's an update on my unit in the Allroad...

I no longer have the message appearing when using the DVD. Now the message only appears when using the TV. Ben thought it was the K line. Wierd! I'll have Ben take a look at it when the new DVT ME3 comes out. I'm not sure when that will be though. Right now life is good, weather is cold and heated steering wheels are welcome.

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts