Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a RNS-E (EU) Unit for my '00 A6 this week. All I have right now is the RNS-E unit, code card, GPS Antenna, Removal pins. Not exactly enough to get it up & running, but I got a low price on it so I knew I'd have to buy more. I have the cables on their way from EuroParts and they should be here tomarrow. I should be able to handle the install as the instructions look clear and easy to understand. But what I dont understand is the whole DVD Map Disk thing. Ok, lemme put it out there. The previous owner of the unit says it was pulled out of a 2004 A6. On the Audi website that sells the disks, they are selling several disks to get the entire US!! (For the 2004 A6). Everyones threads I have read sounds like their only using one disk. I travel alot from SE US to NE US, do i have to buy alot of disks to make the trip or what? I also dont understand the SW conversion stuff to morph it into a US version, but im banking that'll make more sense once I get the unit up and running. So whats up with the disks? Also will it work w/o the VAG setup cause my cluster is on its way out and I dont really wanna buy another one until next year. Any help on this is apprieciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you bought an RNS-E it is a DVD based unit and there is one disk for North America. You should check out Lee Hicks website (www.nsxjr.com) for PDF install manuals. Properly coding your unit will ensure that it navigates correctly and that it powers on and off with the car and the buttons light when the cars headlights are on. Your unit also needs to be coded properly for a C5 A6 to get the speed signal correctly - it's important for navigating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SMF. So I guess I have to get someone to use the VAG thing on it to get it working right. I was hoping that was just something for extremists. I read nsxjrs pdf. I ordered from the plug and play wire from ( https://www.euro-parts.us/product.php?productid=16183&cat=0&page=1&featured ) and they sent me the wrong stuff. Or at least not the stuff they showed in his pics on the pdf. I ordered the anniversary package and followed the directions to write bose or non bose in the customer comment section. I even listed the part numbers of the ones suggested by nsxjr.com's pdf. I left my phone # for them to contact me if I could not get these items with that package. I should've heeded nsxjrs warning about wrong items in package deals. I would NOT recommend ordering from EURO-Parts (or at least not online) because I do not believe they even read my customer comments. I will be in contact with them to see how well their customer service is. Anyways, about the single Navi DVD is it this one ( http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/IN...=pH0KCggQBSUAAAEGEV.kI5NM&ShowAllProducts=YES ) and will it be pop in and play or will I have to do a whole bunch of stuff to get it to work in my euro unit?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I went to the euro-parts site and the antenna listed on NSXJRs site is listed as an antenna for the RNS-D. Im lost. So I do not know whos right and the wiring harness says its the one for w/bose, w/ changer & w/phone but it only has 3 plugs coming from the piece. The one on NSXJRs pdf has four plugs. Can someone shine a light on this? My comment on Euro-Parts is revoked for the time being, please disregard.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you have a 2000 A6 then you have an A6 C5 with RNS-E and not MMI, so the DVD you picked is wrong. You should always look under A3/A4 if you look for DVDs.

If you have Bose you have all speakers powered by the Bose amp and therefore don't need the connector for the front speakers. Therefore an adapter with three plugs (power, cdc/line out and phone) would be the correct one.

If you had a Symphony I head unit (the one without the internal CD changer) then you need the same antenna adapter as the one for the RNS-D. If you got an adapter with two cables you should have the correct one. If you got an adapter with only one cable and an emtpy socket you would need to insert the existing fakra diversity plug but that one only exists in cars with a Concert II or Symphpny II head unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks AudiA4B6US for the info. I have the bose symphony I (single CD player), so I will need the other antenna adapter. Its messed up they sent me that one, I specifically asked for the one w/ 2 cables in the customer notes. I hope they will switch it for me. Found the right DVD also, with your help. Does anyone sell used ones? Will it work even though I have a EU unit? If not what will I have to do?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am contemplating installing the RNS-E unit tomarrow. Without the antenna until I get it, dont really listen to the radio anyway. I dont really understand the CanBus thing and I need a VAGCOM, but I plan on following nsxjrs instructions just to get the unit installed. I'll ask my mechanic to VAG it, pretty sure he has one. If any of this raises a red flag please put me on to why because im getting impatient with my unit just chillin on the table. Still dont know if it works. Bought it off an Ebay vendor. Had it for about a week now. Want to enjoy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts