Audi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pulled this from the Lambo-power forum. There is a UK owner there with an '06 Gallardo who buggered up his RNS-E. He originally had a 2005 Lamborghini map DVD. He then borrowed a 2006 DVD from a new RS4 to update his software. When he did this...

Unfortunately, I tried this this morning and, after the unit tried to reboot twice, a message appeared on the screen saying "Insert software CD". ?.

Bugger!. So I press the eject and insert the original Lambo DVD. Screen motors up, message is still "Insert software CD". So I remove and re-insert Lambo DVD a couple of times. Screen motors up, message still the same.

So I switch the system on and off a couple of times, message stays the same. I leave it switched off for 20 minutes and now it won't even switch back on. Screen won't motor down, nothing! Needless to say during the whole episode nothing else on the unit would function either. Aaargh!!
Then, later...

It was an Audi one, out of an RS4, so 2006 DVD. Original Lambo DVD was '05.
When it was first put in, the screen showed a load-up bar and the message "updating satnav information" or something similar.

So obviously, I thought everything was fine. Only when the "insert software CD" massage appearred did I realise that, in fact, all was not fine. Actually, where ever 'fine' was, my SatNAv was clearly at a point furthest away from it! (not lost my sense of humour, then!
Finally...

To give you an update. If the fuse for the SatNav is pulled and re-inserted, the next time the ignition is switched on it is possible to power up the SatNav, though everything is still dead (radio, mp3, TV, you name it).
The screen just displays the "insert software disc" that I mentioned earlier and when you switch the ignition off and on again the system doesn't power up again until the fuse is pulled and re-inserted.
The novelty of being the first Gallardo owner in the world to apparently invect his SatNAv with a virus is wearing off, fast!
I take the screen message as a good sign ,as this suggests that the system, though badly confused, has got down to a level that is recoverable (?) from. i.e. it's probably behaving the way they do immediately after manufacture but prior to install.
We shall see. Waiting for a phone call from "my guys".
Keeping in mind these are all Euro DVDs, does anyone have any ideas here, even if just a little hint, that may help this guy out?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I would first try to check how dead the system is. If you connect via VAG-COM you should be able to conenct to the RNS-E and check the coding/adaptation. Under Advanced you can check the software version currently loaded and do some basic diagnostics.

If he had a real 2005 DVD to start with (not 2005_1 or 2005_2) the navver should start with V220. Beginning with 2005_1 the navver starts with V221 but requries the corresponding audio software that is stored in the MOT file. With VAG-COM you may be able to locate a version mismatch.

The other question is how many times the RNS-E initially rebooted. 2 reboots are required to complete the software update, after the second reboot the RNS-E should power off. If it didn't do the second reboot it may have not loaded the audio software correctly which would explain why neither radio nor MP3 are working right now.

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dirk. Do you have any ideas on how this might be corrected? If the audio update did not complete correctly, why would it continue to refuse to recognize the DVD as the update later? It seems to be looking for an update disc but won't load the update even with the disc in the drive.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
NSX JR said:
Thanks Dirk. Do you have any ideas on how this might be corrected? If the audio update did not complete correctly, why would it continue to refuse to recognize the DVD as the update later? It seems to be looking for an update disc but won't load the update even with the disc in the drive.
I have never seen this message before, hard to say what's causing it with out getting more details. Did you capture the details from the Lambo DVD when you where down in LA? What was the content of INDEX.TXT? We could compare this to the current values in the broken unit and to what's on the Audi 2006 DVD that came with the RS4.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is that the Lambo DVD I saw was the US version 2006, so it likely has nothing in common with the Euro 2005 version :cry:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
NSX JR said:
Problem is that the Lambo DVD I saw was the US version 2006, so it likely has nothing in common with the Euro 2005 version :cry:
Right, I forgot about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I went through exactly the same issue ... after inserting the 2006 DVD I got a message on screen asking for the system disk ( what system disk ??? I don't have any !!) ... after that radio/mp3/cds were not working anymore ....
I dropped the car at an AUDI garage and they fixed everything ...

the only problem is that 2006 DVD was not mine but my friend's ... and no I caan no longer use the 2005 DVD ...

Anyone has an idea how to copy a 2006 DVD ???

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
rebeucopppp said:
Hi,

I went through exactly the same issue ... after inserting the 2006 DVD I got a message on screen asking for the system disk ( what system disk ??? I don't have any !!) ... after that radio/mp3/cds were not working anymore ....
I dropped the car at an AUDI garage and they fixed everything ...

the only problem is that 2006 DVD was not mine but my friend's ... and no I caan no longer use the 2005 DVD ...

Anyone has an idea how to copy a 2006 DVD ???

Thanks

Bob
You did this in an Audi, did you? ebay Germany list usually plenty of 2005_1 to 2006_1 DVD. If you don't need the updated map just get a 2005_1.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I have updated many RNS-E units to 2006, some of the units do say "Insert Software CD" for a few minutes, I leave them alone and they carry on with the installation.

I would re insert the 2006 disk and let it finish the second part of the installation.

Just a thought.

I can supply a 2006 or 2006_1 disk

Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Craig,

the 2006 DVD you can supply is an original, right ?
Or just a copy ? anyway I am interested in a working DVD ...
Thanks for your proposal !
What do I have to do to get one 2006 DVD ?

Bob

you can write me at [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.