Audi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an EU RNS-E in an '02 A4 (B6) in the US.. i have updated the SW to 0100.. my GPS antenna is picking up 4-8 satellites.. my position is correct (ie. coordinates)

i have modified the US DVD.. the map loads with no issue.. i can enter destination, zoom in, see points of interest and all that stuff..

the unit turns on and off with the key and the illumination works -- so it seems as though the CAN-BUS is working..

but when i drive down the road the map doesnt move or rotate, the little triangle (my car) does not move or rotate..

under "routing criteria" i found "dynamic nav" was turned off -- not really sure what this is, but i tried to turn it on, it appears to change, but when i go back in to the menu it is always off..
[siteimg:85f235dff5]113[/siteimg:85f235dff5]

the speed and position on this screen changes as i drive.. but the almanacs are still "0".. i had the unit on for a few hrs..
[siteimg:85f235dff5]112[/siteimg:85f235dff5]

i thought it was odd that the pulses, speed, relative bearing always read "0"s as i drove?!?!... but again everything else from the CAN seems to be working, so the speed should be too..
[siteimg:85f235dff5]45[/siteimg:85f235dff5]

i was not able to change anything on this page..
[siteimg:85f235dff5]46[/siteimg:85f235dff5]
my impalse/rotation was 45 and my cal counter was 0??..

i also was not able to connect with my VAG-COM, my cable supports dual K-lines.. but it is fairly old, i will check with ross-tech on monday.. though a friend of mine has an A4 and he did not do any recoding and his works fine..

any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. if you need any other screen shots or info from engineering mode etc just let me know..

thanks..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Assuming you got a "C" unit which was used (SW 0060), it could be setup for the A6 which has a separate speed signal. I haven't read that it is actually possible to code a RNS-E to use either speed over CAN of separately but who knows. I think you will to check the coding and see if it's right.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is a "C" and when i got it the SW was 0060..

i will look why i cannot connect with VAG-COM and see what it tells me..

i also found "set position and orientation".. i did that, but it didnt seem to help..

i was driving around a bit yesterday with the map on and it seemed to update my position every once in a while??..

is there any special requirements for the GPS antenna??.. the one i have has the right connect and looks like any other one i've seen..

lastly, are there just "CAN-H" and "CAN-L" --- i borrowed an incomplete adapter from a friend until my new adapter arrives.. the power and front speakers are all there, but the other connectors are not, i had to connect "CAN-H" and "CAN-L"separately..

thanks alot..

·
Registered
46 Posts
How did you get into those screens - what menu item did you choose - or is it a "hidden" item which requires a special key combination.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did you look at Justins install? your install is going to be exactly like his. Sounds to me like your unit is not getting the speed signal, and you may have to supply it like justin did. As for the Vag-com, you need the updated cable, so you can use an upgraded version of the software to be able to code the RNS-E.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Re: map does not move along with me (follow me) when i drive

fritzner said:
under "routing criteria" i found "dynamic nav" was turned off -- not really sure what this is, but i tried to turn it on, it appears to change, but when i go back in to the menu it is always off..
"Dynamic Nav" set to on means "use TMC data to reroute avoiding congestion", so without TMC in the US it will always be off.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my guess was that 'dynamic nav' had to do with traffic info.. thanks for confirming..

i have the latest VAG-COM SW, but will get a new interface right away..

i wonder if it was an A6 unit and someone put an A4 faceplate on it??... oddly "8E0 035" and "C" part of the part number on the top cover of the unit was torn off "192" was still there.. then "8E0 035" and "C" were written back on.. the rest of the label is in good shape..

can i verify the actual part number once i get VAG-COM working??.. or is there a way to verify it with the serial number listed in engineering mode??..

thanks for your help..

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
fritzner said:
can i verify the actual part number once i get VAG-COM working??
When you select the controller with VAG-COM (either radio or navigation will select the RNS-E) it will show you the part number (and lots of other info) in the fields at the top of the screen on your PC.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
fritzner said:
my guess was that 'dynamic nav' had to do with traffic info.. thanks for confirming..

i have the latest VAG-COM SW, but will get a new interface right away..

i wonder if it was an A6 unit and someone put an A4 faceplate on it??... oddly "8E0 035" and "C" part of the part number on the top cover of the unit was torn off "192" was still there.. then "8E0 035" and "C" were written back on.. the rest of the label is in good shape..

can i verify the actual part number once i get VAG-COM working??.. or is there a way to verify it with the serial number listed in engineering mode??..

thanks for your help..
if you go into Engineering Mode (http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71) you can see the real part number and the serial number.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did see the serial number in engineering mode, i will look for the part number.. thanks for the tip..

i just got off the phone with ross-tech.com and they said i have the correct interface and the latest VAG-COM software.. he suggested checking the continuity of the K-Line to make sure it is connected correctly thru the adapter harness..

does anyone know if the RNS-E can actually be recoded to look for speed from the GALA instead of the CAN on the 8E0 (A4) model??..

another thing i mentioned, but maybe someone could confirm.. in engineering mode my gyro voltage fluctuated ~1.5V, but my relative bearing was always "0".. i would think this should change even if there isnt any speed data??..

i just hope something isnt coded or wired correctly and the unit actually is not defective??

thanks for everyone help..

[siteimg:d5c9ebd1b8]45[/siteimg:d5c9ebd1b8]

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You might be correct and the actual model is not shown, just the erial number.

Anyhow, this is the coding which should allow you to change it from an A6 to an A4 unit:

STG 56 (Navigation System) -> Coding -> Function 07

0?xxxxx: Model
1 - Audi A2
2 - Audi A3 (8P)
3 - Audi A4 (> 2004)
4 - Audi A4 Cabriolet (> 2004)
5 - Audi A6 (< 2004)
6 - Audi TT (> 2004)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks like my 1st priority is to figure out why my VAG-COM wont connect to my RNS-E.. i have verified i have the correct software and interface.. i am hoping my K-line is not hooked up.. i am temporarily using a partial adapter for testing.. the K-line might be one of the wires that is missing.. ross-tech suggested trying to connect to my OEM radio..

after closer inspection i see that it says "A4 (> 2004)".. mine is an '02.. it is still a B6, i wonder why they specify 2004??..

STG 56 (Navigation System) -> Coding -> Function 07
0?xxxxx: Model
3 - Audi A4 (> 2004)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The RNS-E was first available in the A4 early 2004 (in Germany), that's why it says 2004 and newer. But it should work in any B6...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ITS WORKING!!!!.. thanks for your support..

i am now able to connect to my RNS-E with my VAG-COM.. i orginially thought my old interface was not compatible.. the awesome guys at ross-tech.com confirmed it was the correct one for my A4 and suggested to make sure the K-line was connected to the RNS-E correctly..

i found the K-Line was not in the present the adapter.. (i am borrowing an old incomplete adapter from a friend until my kafutec one arrives)..

i added the wire for the K-line and was able to connect to the RNS-E with the VAG-COM..

the VAG-COM confirmed the unit is an EU A4 (8E0 035 192 C).. it also revealed that it was coded for an A6 05xxxxx (requiring speed via the V-Signal instead of CAN)..

i recoded it for an A4 with my specific vehicle options 03xxxxx and it works perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!

well other than the missing tiny streets, but that is another topic..

thanks again..

·
Registered
18 Posts
about the K-line..

Where did you find the K-line cable and where did you connect it on your RNS-E?

Im having trouble connecting to my RNS-E.

Also can someone confirm that I can pick up the Can signals from the blue connector 19 & 20...

mike in Sweden

--------
Audi A4 2003 2,4 no Bose

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The k-line on the RNS-E is in connector B pin 5. Your Symphony or Concert radio should also have a diagram on the top cover which shows which pin is k. Since you have a 2003 A4, the old radio connectors should have CAN H and CAN L in the middle section of the 20pin plug. No need to get to the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, unfortunatly my car hasn't

either CAN or K-line cables to the stereo....

I think it was delivered with very little extras.

I have found the CAN cables from the cluster and got the RNS to talk with the Cluster ( it shows radio stations).

Now I think I only need the K-line cable from the kluster...will search for it....

/mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts