Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after being told by everyone that i couldnt fit a b7 3 spoke mfsw to my 2001 b5 a4, i decided to make my very own.

i made the following steps:

1) bought a 4 spoke b5 wheel/airbag from ebay for £30

2) retrofitted new b5 mfsw SC ring and the mfsw controller

3) fit old 4 spoke wheel/airbag and program the controller/radio/bt module and get everything working ok

4) dismantle the 4 spoke wheel and remove the buttons and wheel internal controller- the buttons are too big to fit to a b5 3 spoke wheel

5) measure what the buttons do - 4 wires from the buttons to the internal controller - they use a ground and light power common to each button bank and signal wire for each side - the buttons switch different resistors between the signal wire and the ground.

6) make 2 x small pcb with small switches including internal led illumination and the same resistors as the originals - connect these to wheel internal controller minus its metal box which i mounted inside the 3 spoke wheel under the horn connector ring - the inside of the wheel is rubber so it was easy to cut away for a snug fit.

7) cut away some of the rubber on the 2 spokes under the alcantara using a dremel and knife to mount my 2 x pcb onto the spokes with the buttons sticking through the altantara - a fully working 3 spoke mfsw for the b5.

8) you can re-arrange your buttons any way you want now - i swapped the up/down and vol to opposite sides cos im left handed

9) to do - create some labels or paint the button caps for back illuminated effect similar to oem

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sounds very nice. Any pitcures to show of the steps/progress?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts