Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Australia,

I've been following these forum discussions for some time (great info - keep up the good work y'all).

Anyhow, I'm about to do an RNS-E and Bluetooth retro-fit to my 2006 Audi A3 8P Sportsback.

Now, the RNS-E that I'm getting from Europe is a -H (HW:72) model with SDS (Voice Control). I would like to integrate this function, but I'm aware that the wiring will be different to a standard RNS-E and BT install.

In the standard BT cabling kit (say, from Kufatec) the microphone is wired directly to the BT module. With SDS, however, I believe the microphone needs to be wired to a mic input on the RNS-E and then a mic output is wired to the BT module.

I have heard of a couple of people doing this, so I was wondering if anyone can share cabling detail or -even better- if anyone knows is it possible to get a BT wiring loom that supports this configuration.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give!

All the best,

- Wrench, Sydney, Australia

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I can make you one. See the bluetooth kits in my webstore. After you order, just email me to remind me you want the SDS microphone wiring special for your harness.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Can't help you with the SDS question but are you sure that you get an 8P0 RNS-E with index H? The RNS-E with index H are usually 8E0 RNS-E that won't fit in the A3 8P.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NSX .. Thanks for that; I've left you a PM.

AudiA4, urk - hopefully it is right & it's all above-board from the eBay seller in Germany I bought it from (he's got 100% on 373 transactions, but you never know of course!)

Anyhow, the description of the item - item number 150064934708 - specified that it was model '8P0 035 192 H' [which is the RNS-E for the A3] and the photo shows rounded edges on the unit.

Well, fingers crossed; I should find out in a few days if it gets to Ireland and then after Xmas for it to hit Australia.

;)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
wrench said:
Anyhow, the description of the item - item number 150064934708 - specified that it was model '8P0 035 192 H' [which is the RNS-E for the A3] and the photo shows rounded edges on the unit.
If it IS an 8P0 035 192 H that will be a new part number to add to our list...

The description and details look genuine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PetrolDave said:
wrench said:

Well, fingers crossed that it wasn't a scam.. I'm in Australia (but from Ireland), so am shipping it to the family in Dublin. If a package arrives, I'll get them to take photos & I'll post them here..

Wish me luck :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PetrolDave said:
wrench said:

Hey,

I *FINALLY* got the RNS-E from Europe, and it's sitting in front of me. I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know if:

a) It works
b) It has SDS

But, I can confirm that it is a part number for you to add to the list. The Audi white label on the top of the unit says:

8PO 035 192H (followed by H72 0500)

Date code says: 0190/12/09/2006

The guy didn't ship a GPS Antenna, and I'm a bit suss about his RNS-E adapter - so I may go and source one (can anyone comment on whether Kufatec still take an age to ship such things?)

BTW, when I do get it installed, how do I get into Engineering mode & what steps do I need to go through to find whether it has SDS?

Finally PetrolDave - I know you have SDS working; any chance you could give me some tips to pass on to my installer (who's familiar with the standard RNS-E & BT install) about:

1) Differences in wiring the mic [does the RNS-E 'Kufatec' adapter need to be modified at all]?
2) What will need to be done differently for coding?

BTW, my car is an Audi A3 2.0T Quattro Sportsback MY2005 (8PA) and it does have the Multi-Function Steering Wheel [MFSW].. At present all it does is control the Symphony II - fingers crossed for RNS-E, BT (and maybe SDS!) lovelynedd. Mucho fingers crossed, in fact, that the RNS-E works at all [eBay nerves].

Thanks guys!

- Damien -

·
Registered
106 Posts
How can you tell if your rns-e supports sds? I dont think mine had any letters after the serial number in the top of the unit.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
check in the volume settings, if it says speech dialogue volume, then it has it.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
wrench said:
Finally PetrolDave - I know you have SDS working; any chance you could give me some tips to pass on to my installer (who's familiar with the standard RNS-E & BT install) about:

1) Differences in wiring the mic [does the RNS-E 'Kufatec' adapter need to be modified at all]?
2) What will need to be done differently for coding?
1) Connect the BT microphone to the Mic In pins on the RNS-E and connect the Mic Out pins on the RNS-E to the Mic In pins on the Bluetooth module. The Kufatec adapter most likely won't do this.

2) Where the normal coding for the Bluetooth would be something like 10722, make it 10702 - so the SDS RNS-E handles the speech recognition instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, dumb question time. If you have SDS this is a good thing, yes? If so why??

If so is it worth wiring up for when you get Bluetooth fitted?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: Looking for retro-fit wiring for RNS-E Voice Control - A

David128 said:
So, dumb question time. If you have SDS this is a good thing, yes? If so why??
If you also have an MFSW then yes, because by pressing the PTT button on the MFSW you can control many functions of your RNS-E with speech commands.

David128 said:
If so is it worth wiring up for when you get Bluetooth fitted?
IMHO, yes. I deliberately got an H version RNS-E and a modified RNS-E/Bluetooth adapter.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Dave

I've got an 8P0 035 192 H unit here with SDS.

Craig

PetrolDave said:
wrench said:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
craigyb said:
The parts number list needs updating then!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
craigyb said:
Dave

Craig
Craig/Dave & other experts..

I'm definitely a little confused now as to whether my RNS-E (8PO 035 192 H) supports SDS. Thanks to the kind help of another Forum member here in Sydney, Australia we installed the RNS-E I source from Germany into my car (finally!) I have no GPS antenna (the guy short-shipped), but I have a puzzle about whether it supports SDS - I've checked the forums and it seems maybe others have seen something similar?

The basic facts are:

1) 'H' revision of RNS-E for A3 (VAG-COM lists it as 'High' function)
2) Hardware is H72, Software 550
3) Engineering Mode shows SDS in flash (DE_DE)
4) The Volume setup does not show an option for SDS

So, I'm wondering if there's any hope of getting SDS (i.e. could it be a coding issue, or the fact that I do not have the Bluetooth Kit and Microphone installed yet - I'm about to source them [so, only RNS-E installed]) ?

Additionally, if I get a Bluetooth Kit and cabling for SDS, is there any down-side if the unit doesn't (or won't!) support SDS - i.e. if I code the BT to use the Mic directly, will it be okay?

I've attached screenshots below:

Many thanks for any info. you guys can share!

All the best,

Damien (Wrench)
Sydney, Australia

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
wrench said:
I'm definitely a little confused now as to whether my RNS-E (8PO 035 192 H) supports SDS. Thanks to the kind help of another Forum member here in Sydney, Australia we installed the RNS-E I source from Germany into my car (finally!) I have no GPS antenna (the guy short-shipped), but I have a puzzle about whether it supports SDS - I've checked the forums and it seems maybe others have seen something similar?

The basic facts are:

1) 'H' revision of RNS-E for A3 (VAG-COM lists it as 'High' function)
2) Hardware is H72, Software 550
3) Engineering Mode shows SDS in flash (DE_DE)
4) The Volume setup does not show an option for SDS

So, I'm wondering if there's any hope of getting SDS (i.e. could it be a coding issue, or the fact that I do not have the Bluetooth Kit and Microphone installed yet - I'm about to source them [so, only RNS-E installed]) ?

Additionally, if I get a Bluetooth Kit and cabling for SDS, is there any down-side if the unit doesn't (or won't!) support SDS - i.e. if I code the BT to use the Mic directly, will it be okay?
You have up-to-date SW but don't have the 2 SDS menus - so you DON'T have an SDS capable RNS-E.

Period.

There's no amount of coding or changing adaptation channels that will change that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.