Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably not going to be a situation many posters/readers know enough about, but a large number of the audio CDs I have uploaded onto my '14 A5's MMI Jukebox register as "Unknown CD". It's a pain to remember which CD is which. (Notice, the car isn't even smart enough on its own to put the unknown CDs in numerical order.) I own a laptop and VCDS software to run on it, and it seems theoretically possible that I might be able to use VCDS to edit the Jukebox list of titles. Does anyone know how to do that? About all I know how to do with VCDS is reset the maintenance
Car Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Motor vehicle
inspection interval timer.

· Administrator
386 Posts
Files in the jukebox are copied from an SD card to the hard drive. If the tracks are called track1, track2 then that’s what you will see on the MMI. You can rename the tracks and/or make sure they have ID3 tags and copy them back onto the Jukebox.

As you have a 2014 why not enable Bluetooth and stream from your phone to the MMI. You will get the track names without messing around with SD cards etc

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Files in the jukebox are copied from an SD card to the hard drive. If the tracks are called track1, track2 then that’s what you will see on the MMI. You can rename the tracks and/or make sure they have ID3 tags and copy them back onto the Jukebox.

As you have a 2014 why not enable Bluetooth and stream from your phone to the MMI. You will get the track names without messing around with SD cards etc
??? all of my Jukebox contents are from uploading audio CDs (collected since 1980s) - and still to today I have no music on my phone.

· Administrator
386 Posts
So I checked the MMI manual. You can’t copy direct from an original CD to the jukebox as that poses copyright issues. There is no export functionality for the same reason. In your case no ID tags or track names will ever show on the MMI as there were not present on the CD they were copied from. VCDS has no access to the hard drive. I think your option here is to create an sd card containing your music on a pc and ensure the tracks have names and/or tags, then replace the contents of the jukebox.
Hope this helps.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@JohnS3 I expect you and your car are located in the UK, where different laws apply, than to me in the USA? I most certainly have copied audio CDs from the car's CD drive, directly to the MMI Jukebox - two hundred of them, or so. In my own mind, this is exactly equivalent legally to what I would do in the 1980s-90s copying CDs I owned onto cassettes, to be able to play them in my earlier cars which had cassette decks but not CD players. About 2/3rds of my uploaded CDs in my A5 did come across with all the album and track title info - see added pictures here. My question is about the 1/3rd of them that have ended up labeled "unknown". All of the ~200 CDs play back perfectly well, including the 50-something "unknown" ones; I just want to get them labeled. One interesting other circumstantial clue - my car, while a standard US model, was ordered by us for EU delivery in Ingolstadt in 2014. We drove it for 2 weeks up into Denmark Norway and Sweden before delivering it to Audi's car-handling firm in Berlin to be sent to the US. I only got around to thinking about CD uploading during the winter of 2014-2015 here at home, and I found "greyed out" choices in the MMI menu as your image mentions. It took a service visit to a dealer before my MMI uploading capability was initiated. Possibly US-model Audis to be delivered normally straight to customers in the US, have their MMIs configured differently from the way mine had to be, legally, for EU delivery? Just a guess, but it would explain why my US dealer wasn't up to speed at first about the Jukebox; I had to ask later. Your citing of the owner's manual of course is excellent, and it's been a long time since I tried reading the MMI section. Perhaps I'll catch US-specific info I missed seeing before.
Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle Auto part Mid-size car

Automotive design Personal luxury car Gas Vehicle Auto part

Personal luxury car Display device Auto part Multimedia Luxury vehicle

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which reminds me, our experience with our "free trial" of Sirius XM satellite radio was a complete fiasco back in 2014. Our purchasing dealer in the US activated everything at the point we paid for the car - Spring 2014, months before we first saw the car in Ingolstadt. Sirius XM does not have coverage in Europe, so our first opportunity to use the free trial in the US, was Sept 2014, a point at which the 90 days of free Sirius XM had already expired. I felt like Sirius XM ought to be able to fix that, but all that ever happened was that their South Asian call center repeated five or six of the same-scripted barely-English sales telephone calls trying to get me to pay to continue Sirius XM. My insistence to "give me my free trial first please" was met with zero comprehension.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts