Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have done some research on this topic and cannot seem to find an acceptable answer.

As we all know, the frequently touched matte leather in our cars (steering wheel and shifter) start to collect oil and other filth over the years at some point, begin to look shiny. I have spent countless hours researching this and read that cleaning them with a leather cleaner and reconditioning them would help (some even said that it would renew) but I am having no luck. I can once again see the texture of the leather (looked like smooth plastic before) but it still looks terrible. I bought it as a CPO with 33k miles on it and I am pretty sure the lady that had it before me didn't care about it too much; the leather was already very shiny. I have used Lexol leather cleaner with a horse hair brush and Autoglym Leather Conditioning Cream to no avail.

Is there any way to make my steering wheel look new again without an overhaul? The color is still fantastic and there are no worn out areas.

On the upside, the leather on all of the seats still looks brand new; not even a single crack on the the sides of the driver's seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually used nail polish remover with some success. Don't rub too hard with it because it is somewhat abrasive and will peel some of the paint. It is intended for just sort of an application, though. Also, make sure that you are in a well ventilated area because that stuff is pretty volatile and the fumes are not fun. I got all the shiny spots out though and the rag wasn't any darker than it was with the Lexol (indicating that I didn't remove any of the paint). Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts