Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
the brightness of my RNS-E screen is really disturbing me at night.

I turned down the brightness from Setup>Display, but it is still too bright.

I checked the same on an 07 S4 and it looks like that's as dim as it gets.

I wondered if anyone else had this issue and maybe found a screen protector film, which would make the display darker.

I also checked with VAG and tried to change the brightness %, but it is stuck at 20%.

Thanks,
Lauri

·
Registered
479 Posts
When I turn my lights on the display dims and changes to a dark background instead of the bright light background.

I'm just wondering if the reason you think it is too bright is because it is possibly not switching into night mode ???

Just a thought.

Dave.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it turns into night mode but it is still too bright.
The brightness setting in Setup does not change the illuminance much also.

How much does the screen itself dim?

I think I saw a light sensor behind the LCD module.
It is probably connected to an ADC or a comparator.
I will see if I can adjust it somehow.

Thanks though,
Lauri

·
Registered
479 Posts
Mine dims my about 15-20% difficult to say exactly as it also changes colour at the same time.

I seem to remember seeing a code in VAG-COM regarding RNS-E brightness, I will take another look through the bits I downloaded as see if I can find it.

Yes you are probably right re the photocell, I know my Concert dimmed down noticably when I put my hand over the front display.

Dave.

:!: :!: :!: Added - 28th Mar 07 :!: :!: :!:

VAG-COM #56 Adaption 10

-> Channel 070 (Display Brightness)
0 - off
1 - 20%
2 - 40%
3 - 60%
4 - 80%
5 - 100%

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The light sensor is in the instrument cluster, next to the 0 km/h or 0 mph mark. The RNS-E itself has no light sensor, it only uses the data it gets over CAN.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The VAG-COM adaptation settings are just a replication of the brightness you can set in the menu system.

Also, this brightness of displays throughout the car are controlled not only by the ambient light sensor but also by the dimmer roller near your light switch. If it is too bright, then try dimming your interior lights and you will see your screen dim as well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
NSX JR said:
this brightness of displays throughout the car are controlled not only by the ambient light sensor but also by the dimmer roller near your light switch. If it is too bright, then try dimming your interior lights and you will see your screen dim as well.
:?: Dimmer Roller.... What Dimmer Roller ???

Anyone got a picture, I don't remember seeing a dimmer roller on my A4 Cab B6 ???

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The B6 has the + and - buttons on the left side of the instrument cluster to dimm the interior lights.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ah ha !

You must mean the one's I used to set the clock, I've not tried them on their own before.....

That's what I like about this forum, I always learn something new when I'm here ! :D

Dave.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,
thanks for the replies.

I have tried everything suggested here. I can see the sensor next to the 0mph and I've tried the +/-. All of them have no significant effect on the display.

All of them do dim the red ambient lights on the buttons, dials etc.

For comparison the display is bright enough at night to light up my and the passenger's face.

There is a light sensor on the display as well. It is located on the back of the PCB. I believe it is connected to the IR3Y26AI processor.

I tried to find the datasheet for it yesterday without any luck.

Thanks,
Lauri

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did a bit more research on it.

The display itself has an input pin 26 called DIM, I think it is connected to a DAC, which is controlled by the brightness setting in setup.

I'll try to see maybe I can lower the voltage on it by adding a resistive divider to it.

Thanks,
Lauri

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good lord, this is WAY above my head! When you figure this out, please put the process together and post it in it's own thread. It would be a great addition to this forum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
I was correct. The DIM input pin is connected to a resistive divider, which goes to the gate of a transistor, which adjusts the brightness.

DIM is controlled by a DAC in RNS-E and is 0-5V range.

Now the only thing left to do is to change the ratio.

The resistors are 0402 size (40 mils by 20 mils), so I might have to do it at work.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,
Lauri

·
Registered
7 Posts
lauriv said:
Hi,
I was correct. The DIM input pin is connected to a resistive divider, which goes to the gate of a transistor, which adjusts the brightness.

DIM is controlled by a DAC in RNS-E and is 0-5V range.

Now the only thing left to do is to change the ratio.

The resistors are 0402 size (40 mils by 20 mils), so I might have to do it at work.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,
Lauri
The static-cling LCD Protection/Anti-Glare films may not be enough but http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/33899-window-film-roll.html/]Window Tint should be capable of producing a dimming ratio that gets dark enough with any passenger ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts