Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done more research on the head unit As I understand it - one can take an early version of the RNS-E head unit and upgrade the software. This seems very common and fairly easy. Considering the price of the Q and R versions of the RNS-E is quite high - why would you just not buy an early RNS-E like a C or D (much cheaper) and then just upgrade the software in the usual way. I guess the question is, are there any benefits from a hardware perspective (e.g exclusive functionality, better screen quality, different buttons/dials etc) of having the latest version? Would you recommend saving some $ and buying an early model because there are no real benefits in getting the latest model?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
300 Posts
From my perspective the best reason to buy the newer units is not becuase they are so much better, but becuase they are so much newer. In theory ewer ought to equal longer life.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

rs4-sson said:
Done more research on the head unit As I understand it - one can take an early version of the RNS-E head unit and upgrade the software. This seems very common and fairly easy. Considering the price of the Q and R versions of the RNS-E is quite high - why would you just not buy an early RNS-E like a C or D (much cheaper) and then just upgrade the software in the usual way. I guess the question is, are there any benefits from a hardware perspective (e.g exclusive functionality, better screen quality, different buttons/dials etc) of having the latest version? Would you recommend saving some $ and buying an early model because there are no real benefits in getting the latest model?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The H version I have now appears to respond quicker than the C version I used to have. Maybe there have been some memory or processor speed upgrades in newer HW versions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool. Thanks for that. I have PM'ed Craigyb who may be able to help with sourcing the components.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.