Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at whether a later model (B7 or C6) 3 or 4-spoke MFSW can be fitted as a MFSW on a B5 or C5 car?

I'm looking at replacing the 3-spoke sports wheel in my RS6 with a MFSW, but the only apparent option (the old 4-spoke MFSW) is an option I don't like (I have it in my allroad). However I think the B7/C6 model's 3 & 4-spoke MFSW's are "the business", combining the best of the Sports wheel with the convenience of MF. The C6 wheels will fit the D3 & the Q7 (same part number), so there is some chance they would retro-fit to my C5...

Anyone looked at this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
The big issue, that hasn't been "properly" solved, is that newer wheels (at least B7 ones) have a two stage airbag but older cars only have a single stage airbag controller.

There's been several long, and often emotive, discussions on this topic which a search on MFSW and/or airbag will show you.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I was looking into this recently and from what I understood, pre 2005 A3 8P had the new style MFSW but a single stage airbag. Similar to the early A8 D3 which had a single stage airbag and a new style MFSW with a round airbaig. In theory those should fit the B6 and C5 but may need some some other parts to be plug and play. Now, we don't have the 2004 A4 8P in the US but there should be plenty in Europe/Germany. Maybe someone who works for an Audi dealer can get first hand information to confirm this.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually the dual stage airbag is not the problem at all. Just connect both stages so that the airbag will fully deploy upon command from your single stage airbag controller.

However, the new scroll wheel style MFSW will NOT work in a C5 or B5. Trust me, I spent months on this project in my own C5 and got everything connected (including the airbag) successfully. However, the commands from the new MFSW are not understood by our older MFSW control units and therefore the buttons and rollers just don't work.

These new steering wheels are made to work with an SCSM equipped car... and the B5 and C5 have a MFSW control unit, not an SCSM.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
Actually the dual stage airbag is not the problem at all. Just connect both stages so that the airbag will fully deploy upon command from your single stage airbag controller.
Read the many posts from todd1010, and others, and you'll see that when the temperature drops that doesn't work - the airbag light comes on and the resistance of the ignitor is reported as too low. The resistance of the two ignitors in parallel is OK when it's warm, but as soon as winter comes along the resistance is too low.

So there's two problems .... ignitor resistance when cold AND new style scroll wheel vs old style button wheel.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Agreed but Todd and most others are doing this in a B6. It worked perfectly fine in all temperatures above freezing in my C5. But it is really a moot point here because there's no reason to even do this if the MFSW portion does not work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Lee, I assume that the SCSM controller is not a simple retrofit in place of the MFSW controller...

In summary, to put a MFSW wheel on a C5, I have to use the [single] MFSW 4-spoke wheel available?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
skiwi said:
Thanks Lee, I assume that the SCSM controller is not a simple retrofit in place of the MFSW controller...

In summary, to put a MFSW wheel on a C5, I have to use the [single] MFSW 4-spoke wheel available?
True, the SCSM is a completely different animal...different shape, different install location, different purpose. The MFSW control module in our cars just translates information between the car and the internal steering wheel control unit. The SCSM in newer cars controls all of the steering column electrical bits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if there is a better 4-spoke B5 MFSW available for the C5, or is the B5/B6 the same model as the C5 uses? The part numbers (8E0 419 091 BK) are different, but they look the same...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
skiwi said:
Does anyone know if there is a better 4-spoke B5 MFSW available for the C5, or is the B5/B6 the same model as the C5 uses? The part numbers (8E0 419 091 BK) are different, but they look the same...

Thanks
They are all pretty much the same. You can use any 4-spoke type MFSW but the wiring will be eaiser if you stick to B5/C5 for B5/C5 or B6 for B6.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yup....I was bummed that I couldn't make a 3 spoke paddle MF wheel with the scroll buttons work in my C5. So I ended up sourcing a B6 (thanks Nico from Italy) MFSW in wood/leather and swapped out the inner control unit and wiring to work with a C5/B5 SC ring.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/32631/greetings_from_germany.jpg

I love the thick wood in this wheel. It's as thick (if not thicker) than the 3-spoke sport wheels.

-Ted

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree. Losing the paddle tip function from the Sport wheel is probably of greater importance to me than gaining the MF functionality. I don't believe the MFSW comes with the paddles...

I might look at adding a phone button. Trouble is I already have the "blind" button working my garage door and V1 mute though a relay, and the other 2 in-dash slots are used (ESP & Park). I could move the Park to the console, as it is in the allroad, and use the spare dash slot for phone...

btw, your jpg doesn't display...

·
Registered
65 Posts
presumably the SCSM from a b7 would talk to a b7 wheel if the appropriate connections are made through the cancelling ring even if you have to modify the wiring, and i presume that the scsm sends the right signals on the canbus to the rns-e cos they all undersand the same stuff on the canbus.

as the b5/c5 doesnt need any of the other fancy functions of the scsm module at all, then a retrofitted b7 wheel with scsm wired to the canbus should be able to control the rns-e??

and of course the airbag problem is easy to solve

unless the scsm includes functions such as airbag controller that would interfere with existing modules in a b5 or c5?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has there been any progress on this topic...can we get the scrolling/SCSM working on the C5....I'm about the change my steering wheel for a tip enabled one....but saw NSXJR's A6 with a new A8 steering wheel quite a while ago on this forum (could someone give me a link to that thread..been searching a while now :( )..I would much rather have that...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts