Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I woke up and decided to take my A6 to the local dealer to reset the new Kufatech mp3 CD-changer :idea: that was showing the same problem as reported by craig.

Of course the Audi techdude recognized the problem as theft protection and told me he would have to contact Audi in germany via VAS and request a new code, 45 minutes at most. :p

Ten minutes later the dude comes back and informs me, very politely, that the CD-changer is reported as stolen :x and no recoding is possible.

I just dropped an email to Kufatech, by I do not feel I will be hearing from them unless I get on the phone.

So, at this point, I spent 409€ for a changer I can't use, plus 50€ for Audi to tell me.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The component does not neccessarily have to be stolen to go into component protection, it could have been removed from a broken scrapped car. For example, if I take the CD changer out of my A8 and install it into an A6, it will go into protection mode and vice versa.

I have had to fix about 4 parts so far that have done this. Usually ebay breaker parts bought to do upgrades.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig, I understand very well that swapping parts will lead to theft protection kicking in even if the parts are not stolen, that's why I went to Audi so that they could fix it.

But Audi here tells me the part is stolen and cannot be reset.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well I would certainly take that up with Kufatec.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, Kufatec just replied that I should contact a more professional audi dealer for removing
the component protection.....any comment?

I have the feeling the problem is in the level of service Audi provides in Holland since I do not really believe Kufatec would send around stolen stuff.....I will go to another dealer tomorrow morning and see if they are more professional...

:roll:

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
sbaffi said:
Well, Kufatec just replied that I should contact a more professional audi dealer for removing
the component protection.....any comment?
Do they mean "more professional" i.e. knows more about what "component protection" means, or "less professional" i.e. will reset component protection on a stolen unit?

If it was an eBay seller I would suspect the latter, but since it's a reputable company like Kufatec it's probably the former - so their advice to try another dealer (one who knows what they are doing!) seems valid.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have a VAS 5051B printout from the dealer stating (in Dutch of course) that the part cannot be "freed"

Not sure how much this piece of paper means in terms of both investigation by the Audi tech who "took care" of me today or about the real status of the component :?:

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Just took mine into the dealers, 30 seconds later all done and working great.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Craig, do you know if Kufatec sell parts which have not had there "component protection" cleared (So they will just work in another car)

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
It's a bit hit and miss, I've had a few recently. Never with a phone kit though, only CD changers, 2 now.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Incredible but Real :shock: :shock: :shock:
So if I buy an used (very used)MP3 CD changer with a discount of 80 Euro less than a new one that I can buy from My Audi Dealer I will have also the problem of anti teft protection?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last update....visited another Audi dealer for the second opinion. :roll:

Explained the problem to both workshop manager and tech and they where very cooperative.

Indeed the system refuses to unlock the damn changer, they where kind enough to let me in the workshop and witness their efforts for about an hour before giving up. :cry:

I asked about the original mp3 changer now available (ends as 110A), here in Holland it's about 630€.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
sbaffi said:
Indeed the system refuses to unlock the damn changer, they where kind enough to let me in the workshop and witness their efforts for about an hour before giving up. :cry:
Sounds like you need to contact Kufatec as soon as possible, and explain to them that AUdi say the CD changer is stolen and ask Kufatec what they intend to do about getting a "legal" replacement to you.

Sending copies of the logs from the dealers VAS would be a good idea.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dave yes I will call them Tuesday afternoon if I get no reply for the email I sent today.

Unfortunately Kufatech require the customer to contact them before reurning an item, otherwhise I would have already packed the damn changer with a copy of the VAS page.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
sbaffi said:
Dave yes I will call them Tuesday afternoon if I get no reply for the email I sent today.

Unfortunately Kufatech require the customer to contact them before reurning an item, otherwhise I would have already packed the damn changer with a copy of the VAS page.
Sorry for you Stefano :( :( I've never liked Kufatec but honestly I really don't think they sell stolen parts. I think your Changer will be certainly swapped with a new one without protection problems

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Germany is basically closed between now and Tuesday. On the Easter weekend incl. next Monday nobody works over there.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Germany is basically closed between now and Tuesday. On the Easter weekend incl. next Monday nobody works over there.
Same in the UK.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seve, I know it's really annoying....400ˆ is not crumbs, still it's hard to get a service worth your money. :?

By the way, whoever want to buy the mp3 changer from Kufatec be aware that VAG access is needed if the
original changer is kept (2nd mediaplayer needs to be enabled), and they do not tell you in the web description.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last update....just after Easter Kufatech contacted me (they speak English so no problem) and agreed to exchange the CD changer.

I faxed them the VAS 5051b printout from the dealership and Kufatec explained me that in order to unlock the protection mode VAS 5052 is
required.

Of course I went back to Audi, found the workshop manager and he told me that the VAS5052 connection is available only Monday-Friday, and that 2 techs in his outfit only would be able to handle it :? So tomorrow morning at 07:30 they will be waiting for me and the CD to try again...

No comment :x

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.