Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finished today the retrofit of the original Kessy (Keyless-Go) system in my Q7.
I can tell you that by far is the most complicated retrofit i have done. Requires many components, a lot of manufactured harness and taking almost the whole car apart to fit everything not to mention the painting of the new door handles.

I am happy that i found 90% of the parts on ebay.de at very good prices and all together i paid around 400 euros for all parts required. My work is priceless :D.

If anyone is interested i can post some detailed information of the parts required and the steps to install it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Controller 05-Access/Start Authorisation add 4 to whatever coding you have there.

The coding of controller 05 is as follows:

129 = Start value, to be coded by default
+ 2 = Automatic gearbox fitted
+ 4 = Keyless entry, advanced key fitted
+ 8 = Country variant USA
+ 16 = Right-hand drive
+ 32 = No transmission to remote control key for operation in Japan/South Korea

Then to each door controller (42,52,62,72) you have to ad 16384 to whatever coding you have there.

The coding of door controllers is as follows:

+1 = Fuel Tank Lid Unlock Button
+2 = Interior Door Handle Illumination
+4 = Insulated Glass installed (PR-4KR/4KV)
+8 = Door Warning Lights installed
+16 = Right Hand Steering (PR-L0R)
+64 = Lighting Package (Exterior Lighting - PR-QQ1)
+128 = Outside Mirror Adjustment (Memory - PR-6XF/6XL)
+256 = Mirror Heating NOT installed
+512 = Interior Lock Switch installed
+2048 = Electrical Child Safety Lock (PR-4H5)
+4096 = Opening Assistance
+8192 = Closing Assistance (PR-GZ2)
+16384 = Keyless-Entry installed (PR-4F2/4K5/4K7)
+32768 = Safe Function disabled (PR-A8U)
+65536 = Window Regulator Comfort Function disabled
+524288 = Pinch Protection disabled

This is what you can do with the VAG-COM.
In addition you have to get a different key and code it to the IMMO and 46-Convenience Controller.

The expensive part of this retrofit is that you have to buy a new key, or a new set of keys. The old keys you can still use but will not work with Kessy, it will work only with the key in the ignition.

The new keys have to be programmed and for this you need an Audi Service.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, i have now, i added the keyless-go system to the car using original parts. There is no difference now compared to the factory fitted system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Neo

I am planning to do kessy retrofit for my 2007 A6. I have all the needed parts now. My question to you is about programming the kessy kind of keys. Did you order the kessy keys from your audi dealer ? As far as I know to "pair" the new keys to the car is an process which requires online connection to audi database (the needed code is not given to the customer,nor the dealer by audi). Could they manage to order the keys and perform the programming without any problem (considering kessy was not factory fitted) ?

Thx

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
indeed this is the delicate part of the process. The Audi Dealer will order the keys only according to the VIN of your car, therefor without kessy. you will have to identify the required key part number, order it based on the part number and not on the car's VIN and then go to the dealer for pairing. You will have to find an open minded dealer as they are reluctant to order parts that are not VIN specific as they are affraid you will refuse to pay for it if it will not pair successfully. When i ordered my keys i paid for them in advance just to give the peace of mind to the dealer that i will take them no matter what.

Give me the part number of your current key and the frequency it operates, and i can give you the part number for the kessy version.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ok, then audi online system won't "refuse" to pair a kessy key to a "non kessy VIN"

My current key's part no. is :
4F0837220R - PR-5D7 + 4K2 (868 Mhz), 4F7

According to my ETKA the kessy version of it is :
4F0837220AD - PR-5D7 + 4F2 (868 Mhz), 4K7

Can you confirm it please ?

Thx

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The correct part number for your key, kessy version is 4F0 837 220 AK, i think your ETKA is not up to date, the AD was dropped on 1.09.2008 and replaced with AK which is the current version.

The online connection is not refusing anything, the online connection is required by VAS system just to get the access code of the IMMO. Then the VAS asks for the key to be inserted in ignition to read the chip and then the codes are stored locally in the car's IMMO. Nothing is sent back to Audi except the log that a new key was stored in the IMMO's memory.

Be aware that the learning procedure is erasing all the previous stored keys, so to have all the keys (including the non kessy ones) stored you will have to bring them to the dealer and store all of them again in one step together with the new kessy one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you for checking. Two more questions :)

1. I heard from someone if a key already was paired to car, and it is deleted from the immo (during another learning process), that key becomes useless (you can throw it away), it is not possible to pair it again. According to you this information is not true, I can "re-pair" my old non kessy keys again ? If that is true I will only buy one kessy key

2. What about component protection ? I have heard that the "aerial reader unit for keyless entry system J723" has CP mode. Is it true ? How can it be ? It is not connected to the CAN bus. It is only connected to the entry and start auth. control unit J518

I think these stuff are the same in the Q7 .

thx

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Indeed the kessy system in A6 and Q7 are quite similar.
To answer your question, the keys can be re-paired as many times as you want, the problem is if you go to pair the new key, and you leave your spare key at home, the dealer will pair only the available keys and the ones that you left home will not be paired anymore. But even that ones can be re-paired at a later time. You have to remember to provide to the dealer ALL the keys you want to program, as the procedure is like this:

1. erase all keys from immo.
2. read key 1
3. read key 2
4. read key n (n<=5)
5. save all keys in immo memory

The key reading is done by inserting it in ignition, if the key has the keyless chip will store the data on that chip also for keyless operation.

There is no CP for antenna reader, this is a subsystem of the Access/Start Authorization System and the communication is performed over LIN bus on single wire.

There is a bit of truth in the info you have. If a key is paired to a car it is very difficult (for dealers impossible) to be paired with a DIFFERENT car at a later time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Indeed the kessy system in A6 and Q7 are quite similar.
There is a bit of truth in the info you have. If a key is paired to a car it is very difficult (for dealers impossible) to be paired with a DIFFERENT car at a later time.
I'm not letting that comment go Neo :) What do you mean "difficult" - dealers are impossible - I get that - but you said "difficult" but not impossible - how would we re-use a key for our car from another?:cool:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealers have the VAS diagnose system which is the only one approved by VAG Group. With VAS it is impossible to re-use a key in a different vehicle if the key was previously paired with another car. There are other systems on the market, like kLine VAG which are force programming the key into IMMO's memory. The same tool is used by thieves to force program a key in order to steal your car. With this kind of tools you can re-use a key, but a dealer will never do this using loosing his certifications. I have such a tool which i use to correct the odometer values when i swap instrument clusters, this is another thing a dealer can not do, if you will swap an used instrument cluster. i was able to re-use keys with this tool.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Neo

One last question about the kessy key. Is it possible to program a kessy key to the immo before the kessy system actually fitted ? I am wondering if is it possible to have a programmed kessy key as the first step of this retrofit and after I can play around to install the system into the car, and check if it is installed correctly before putting back all the trims and building together the car again :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, the kessy key gets the 2nd transponder programmed only if the kessy is up and running. I tried this once in an A8 without success.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Too bad. This makes it a bit more difficult. Have to do a perfect job for the first time, if I don't want to take the car apart (and visit the dealer) more than once.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can check youR worK with vcds, all kessy parameters can be measured using vcds, it is important to do the coding right and then any errors related to the kessy will be visibile. After you finish the installation you can say it is working if:
1. You can stop the car using the "Stop Engine" button
2. When you try to start the car you will get "no key identified" message on the FIS.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can check youR worK with vcds, all kessy parameters can be measured using vcds, it is important to do the coding right and then any errors related to the kessy will be visibile. After you finish the installation you can say it is working if:
2. When you try to start the car you will get "no key identified" message on the FIS.
Thx, very useful again!

Can you please check my questions in C6 platform ACC thread ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Neo

Can I ask you about manufacturing wires ? I have all the contact housings for the kessy wires. My problem is those tiny metal pieces which are connected to the wires and plugged into the contact housing (maybe they call them terminals, I am not sure about the english name of it).

Previously I purchased those things at my local Audi dealer, but they charge a lot of money, which was not a problem until now (I didn't need so much of them for my previous retrofits). But for the kessy wires I need a lot of them (total cost from the dealer is several hundred euros).

Do you know a cheap source of those things, where I can order those things by the part no. of their corresponding contact housing ?

Thx

1 - 20 of 59 Posts