Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 A4 Premium Plus with 79.000 mile on it. The other day my key fob stopped operating the door locks and trunk release. It does start he car. The first thing I thought of was changing the battery in the fob. I have owned it since 2013 and it has never been changed. I replaced the battery plus the battery in the spare fob but nothing has changed. Neither will operate anything but will start the car. Any idea of what the problem may be here?

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
52 Posts
there are several details you should add to your description - by "operating the locks.." do you mean by pushing the fob buttons? or the hand-proximity method? or both?? -- by "does start the car" do you mean by the engine on/off pushbutton? or by insertion into the dashboard slot? or both?? -- does the tiny red light on the fob blink when you push buttons?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2011 Audi A4 Premium Plus didn't have push button start and the key fob is called the advanced key which didn't offer the hand proximity feature. None of the buttons on the fob work anything. In order to lock or unlock the car you have to remove the physical key located in the fob and do it that way. In order to open the trunk you have to use the trunk release button on the inside of the door. You can push the buttons on the fob to your hearts content but they won't do anything. If I use the buttons in the car to do any of the operations they all work so it's not the fault of the electrical systems that operate those. This happened with both key fobs I have. I am bringing it to the dealer on Wednesday. I talked to the service department on the phone and they think somehow the fobs lost their connection with the car. They said they should be able to reprogram them again.

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
52 Posts
@tae111 I was going on the fact that in 2014 on a Premium Plus the fancy key was optional - my car has it. I bet it was also optional in 2011, but I certainly agree, your car may not have it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so I'm embarrassed to admit this but when I replaced the batteries I put them in upside down and I did it with both key fobs. I brought it to the dealer this morning and 5 minutes later they brought it back around. I said fixed already? The service manager, who I have known for years, laughed and said don't feel too bad it happens quite a lot. Anyway problem solved and no charge from the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing made me feel good though. When you bring a car in they walk around and take pictures from every angle. He said wow you would never know this car is 11 years old. It looks brand new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts