Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I did not see a new member section but my wife and I are new to Audi. And this is my first post. Last fall we bought a Q5 Sportback and love it!

We took delivery 9/30/21 and were only provided one key fob. The salesman blamed the chip shortage which I understand BUT it's almost been FIVE months!

So, my question is ..... have folks taking delivery over the last few months received 1 or 2 key fobs?

Thanks and look forward to learning from the forum!

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
18 Posts
I have no direct answer to your question to us, but my guess is that there is a 99% chance the real problem is, your car originally had its 2 keys but 1 got lost. I can't imagine Audi would deliberately take on the hassle of delivering big numbers of cars short of keys. The equivalent did happen to me when I bought a Mazda in 2010, exactly to my spec. My own dealer didn't have the right car, it came from another regional dealer and when it arrived at my dealer, there was only 1 key. At that time, there were no supply chain issues, but their first attempt at a recovery 2nd key was mistakenly a key for a 4 dr sedan rather than my 5 door, I wasn't supposed to have a trunk release button, and that key wouldn't program to my car at all. So we had to wait another week or so for a second second key to arrive. That finally fixed things.

·
Registered
2014 A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet Quattro 2.0T
18 Posts
you'll want to make sure, in the end, that only the 2 keys you actually have, are programmed to your car, and not the fugitive key. I'm only up to speed on my 2014 car, but there is also a 3rd plastic emergency key (not a remote). At least in my car, I can see the keys the car is programmed for on my dashboard screen. I hesitate to tell you to delete one listed key now, because I don't know if you can tell from the car's point of view which key is the missing one. I'm not very familiar with newer Audis, but I know their dashboard computer interfaces are quite different. But they must be at least as complex as mine if not more so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2022 q5 came with just one fob but an additional metal insert that usually fits into the fob. Dealer claimed the chip shortage is to blame. Don't know if another complete fob will ever come but at least we can open the car door if the fob is lost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2022 q5 came with just one fob but an additional metal insert that usually fits into the fob. Dealer claimed the chip shortage is to blame. Don't know if another complete fob will ever come but at least we can open the car door if the fob is lost.
Thanks, and yep, that's what we got and it's great we can open the door. But is there any way to start the car with the metal key? If we lose or damage the single fob we got were stuck! As least as far as I know, new to Audi's and couldn't find anything in the manual on how to do it! Supposedly the iPhone app will remote start but our dealer couldn't figure out how to set it up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, and yep, that's what we got and it's great we can open the door. But is there any way to start the car with the metal key? If we lose or damage the single fob we got were stuck! As least as far as I know, new to Audi's and couldn't find anything in the manual on how to do it! Supposedly the iPhone app will remote start but our dealer couldn't figure out how to set it up!
Update on the Audi "one keyfob" issue. My salesman tells me that Audi recently sent out an email notifying dealers that the missing fob will start being delivered in March Since upwards of 40,000 fobs need to be sent, it may take several months to deliver. Check with your salesperson and also check your window sticker and make sure $ were not already deducted from the sales price due to unavailability of the additional fob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the update. My window sticker does not show any kind of credit; however it does list "Audi Advanced Key" in the singular. No mention of two keys! If they try to charge me for the second key when it comes in they have seen no fury like the Hell I will unleash!

I'm already on thin ice with my dealer over this so if they try to pull something I'll dump the Q5 in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have no direct answer to your question to us, but my guess is that there is a 99% chance the real problem is, your car originally had its 2 keys but 1 got lost. I can't imagine Audi would deliberately take on the hassle of delivering big numbers of cars short of keys. The equivalent did happen to me when I bought a Mazda in 2010, exactly to my spec. My own dealer didn't have the right car, it came from another regional dealer and when it arrived at my dealer, there was only 1 key. At that time, there were no supply chain issues, but their first attempt at a recovery 2nd key was mistakenly a key for a 4 dr sedan rather than my 5 door, I wasn't supposed to have a trunk release button, and that key wouldn't program to my car at all. So we had to wait another week or so for a second second key to arrive. That finally fixed things.
There's a 100% chance you are wrong. The Audi key has chips in it to operate the functions. Save the Mazda story time too. No one cares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the update. My window sticker does not show any kind of credit; however it does list "Audi Advanced Key" in the singular. No mention of two keys! If they try to charge me for the second key when it comes in they have seen no fury like the Hell I will unleash!

I'm already on thin ice with my dealer over this so if they try to pull something I'll dump the Q5 in a heartbeat!
Latest on missing key fob. Just received mail from Audi with news my second key fob will be available at my dealer. Mail dated April 2022 and bought the Q5 in October. So they are working on the replacements.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Latest on missing key fob. Just received mail from Audi with news my second key fob will be available at my dealer. Mail dated April 2022 and bought the Q5 in October. So they are working on the replacements.
I got the same letter March 2022. Contacted dealer and "oh well they just jumped the gun on sending the letters"!

As of last Friday 4/29 they still didn't have the fob! I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scheduled to receive my 2nd key fob next week at Ft Myers Audi. Evidently they need to send away for it. And, it can be done at any Audi dealership not just where you purchased the vehicle.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Yes its true for owners of new Audi's, we have spoken to a lot of customers in the USA who this has happened to. Our remote start systems allow you to drive your Audi (so long as it has a push to start button) with just your phone or the optional long range remote which has been a temporary solution for owners worrying about losing a key. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Thanks, Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts