Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the right place to post this, but I am stuck trying to upgrade my RNS-E to SW 150, so I figured I'd post it here.

My problem is that I cannot get a reliable connection via VAG-COM to the RNS-E. Connecting via either channel 37 or 56 yields the same thing: The connection will succeed for about 1 second, then disconnect. This repeats a few times until VAG-COM reports "too many errors" and gives up. I'm using a HEX-CAN USB with 607.3 SW. I can connect to other modules without any trouble.

I pulled my RNS-E from the dash and removed the PnP harness. I verified that the pins are in the correct locations and that I can get a steady continuity tone from my multimeter across the pins of the PnP adapter. I have to assume that my connections on either end of the harness were OK when the RNS-E was installed, since it functioned flawlessly. I checked the pins on the RNS-E and the car harness, and they look OK (not bent or anything).

So I guess my question is basically what do I try next? Is there any way to test the K-line connection to the car's radio harness? Is there a way to perhaps bypass the car's connection and somehow connect the VAG-COM directly to the RNS-E?

I've had this 2007 disc sitting here for over a month and it's driving me crazy that I can't get this upgrade done.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
996 Posts
very odd. Did you have these issues when you vag-d your RNSE for the first time? Has anything changed in your car?

If your RNSE is a true US 0110 and not the "X", then you should be able to insert the 2007 map disk and it will do the 0150 update on it's own. Where did you get your RNSE? Was it an ebay unit? I've seen some running with "X"...which seems to mean that you are running in a "mixed" EU/US mode.

Lastly, you can certainly bypass the k-line in the rnse harness and see if that helps. See lee's pdf in www.nsxjr.com. He points out the specific k-line wire at the VAG-com interface in your drivers' side lower dash panel. It think it's a green/blue wire....if memory serves.

Good luck!! Not fun messing around outside in 10 degree weather.

-Ted

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ted,

I got my RNS-E from one of the sellers here over a year ago, so back then the mixed mode was all we knew about, so mine is indeed a mixed unit showing SW X--.

I never had to VAG-COM my RNS-E when I installed it as the seller had done all the configuration ahead of time. I just plugged it in and it worked.

The weather is definitely not making this fun, the wires are very stiff from the cold, but my wife and son are out of town, so it's a golden opportunity to do this sort of thing. I'm planning on installing the ADR V1 interface while I'm at it. (at least in theory, it's snowing here now).

It's good to know I can bypass the car's harness and just pull the K-line straight from the VAG connector if I have to. I'll probably wait to do that until I have some of those 2 piece wire taps, so I can remove and replace the tap if a I need to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am all out of ideas, and luck it seems.

I tapped the K-line at the VAG port and ran a wire to a tap I put in the K-line in the PnP adapter, and still no joy; I'm getting the exact same errors.

I guess I could try cutting the K line, so that the only connection would be via my hotwire to avoid any conflicting data, but I have little confidence that would work...

Oh well, back to the drawing board...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.