Audi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have read all the old posts, and was going to post my questions in one of the existing threads, but they dont seem to fit in any..

i have been testing with an old (tiny) 64MB SD card and it is working for the most part, but i have a few issues i cant figure out..

-1- 1GB cards::
with decent success with the 64MD card, i tried my 1GB card but ran into some issues.. i've read it takes awhile to read the 1GB and 2GB SD cards; roughly how long??.. i put in the 1GB card and let it sit for 5-10mins, when i came back it was still reading.. i sat and watched it for a while and it looked like it rebooted.. i started to get impatient and start messing around with the unit while it was trying to read the 1GB card.. it rebooted a few more times until i got a black screen with some Japanese writing and "CHECK CD" (in english).. i tried to open the screen - NOPE, i tried to turn it off - NOPE; so i had to unplug it.. fortunately when i plugged it back in i was able to open the screen and take out the card.. the unit works fine, but i havent tried the 1GB card again yet.. FYI: the 1GB card is a "high speed" card, maybe that is the problem??..

-2- MIX::
i select MIX on the MP3 control screen, but the songs seem to continue to play in order??.. another weird thing i noticed with MIX is if a song comes on you dont like and you hit the "NEXT" button, "MIX" is turned off?!?!

-3- playlists::
i have tried creating *.m3u playlists by putting the songs i want on the SD card; using Windows Media Player to create a playlist from the songs on the SD card; then i save the playlist as a *.m3u file on the SD card; but the playlist does not show up.. the MP3s and Folders work fine, but *.m3us dont??.. what am i doing wrong??

-4- FILE NAME vs SONG TITLE::
i switched to SONG TITLE so the extension is not displayed, but it doesnt seem to work for the majority of my MP3s??..
i have an iPod and used iTunes to rip my CDs.. i ripped them to MP3s and they play fine on the RNS-E, but i cant get rid of the extension??.. seems like iTunes does things a bit differently.. instead of ARTIST - SONG TITLE.mp3, it uses folders ARTIST/ALBUM/TRACK # SONG TITLE.mp3.. the folders work fine and the song plays, but it displays "TRACK # SONG TITLE.mp3".. does iTunes not follow ID3 tag standards??.. is there anything i can do??..

still trying to decide whether it is better to use the SD cards or to integrate my iPod??..

thanks..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
My 2GB SanDisk Ultra II takes about 10s to load. I have a couple of MP3s which do not seem to have the correct or a damaged ID tag, for those songs it keeps displaying the file name instead of the song title. I have also seen that the file name should be Artist-Song.mp3, otherwise it keeps displaying the file name. Although this may also be limited to MP3s with corrupted or missing ID tags. Didn't try playlists yet and just used Windows Media Player 10 to rip my CDs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Loading time

Does it take 10sec to load each time you go into MP3 mode? Like if you were switching around from FM to MP3 does it take 10 sec each time you switch to it or only when you load the SD card for the first time?

Where is a good place to get the faster SD cards?
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I haven't seen any delay with my 512MB SD card, just with the 2GB, and only after inserting the card the first time. I haven't seen this delay until the 2GB got removed and reinsterted.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will try out my 1GB again..

any thoughts on "MIX", "PLAYLISTS", or "SONG NAME"

thanks..

·
Registered
996 Posts
just get a phatbox. They are cheap these days....can be had for $200...and you get 20GB.

To be honest, it's nice to have the names of the song on the head unit (file name only), but I've come to appreciate using the voiceprompts with the phatbox. Very easy to navigate....very safe. You can't go wrong.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/496005.phtml

Just my .02.
-ted

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the mini review, i will definitely look into the Phatbox.. but it is kinda tough with the iPod and the SD slots just sitting there..

i heard rumors that Audi will be releasing an iPod integration kit in a few months..

for now i will probably experiment with the SD cards..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i figured a few more things out with "MIX"..

it seems as though if you select "MIX" on the control screen shuffle does infact work..
(the screen that looks similar to this)
[siteimg:26a5bbd117]21[/siteimg:26a5bbd117]

but if you switch back to the screen that lists the mp3s the songs are played sequentially, even though the title still says "MP3 Card 1 MIX"
[siteimg:26a5bbd117]18[/siteimg:26a5bbd117]

strange, but better that nothing..

though it really sucks that "MIX" is turn off if you simply restart a song or skip one..

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
fritzner said:
though it really sucks that "MIX" is turn off if you simply restart a song or skip one..
Is that still true if you use the |< and >| buttons on the top right of the front panel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts