Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if VAG-COM is neccessary after the RNS-E install. And if it is, what is the purpose? Can I do it myself without the dealer knowing??

Thanx Guys

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
You need VAG-COM for several things:

1) to change the coding of your instruments so the navigation instructions appear on the DIS. Also, on some models, to code the CAN gateway.

2) to check, and correct, the coding of the RNS-E so it is correct for YOUR car.

3) to clear the fault codes that are bound to appear on the RNS-E while you are installing it - usually things like bad antenna connection (because you haven't connected it yet!), intermittent communication (because you plugged it in and out a few times), etc.

Sometimes you can get away without needing a VAG-COM, but not usually.

A correctly setup VAG-COM leaves no trace for the dealer to be able to see what you've been doing!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Got to get mine coded at some point since my install. However, on the A3 8P, DIS automatically accepts the RNS-E nav instructions - it's just the CAN stuff I've got to get done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

Just thinking out aloud whilst viewing this thread, do the CAN wires have anything (no mater how remote) to do with the TV video input signal. I know the CAN wires tell the unit there's a TV option there...

I'm just trying to exhust all possible answers to my own on going problem.

Thanks. Chris

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The CAN wires to provide data communication between the headunit and the TV tuner, but it does not actually have anything to do with the audio or video signals.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Cassidy30 said:
I'm just trying to exhaust all possible answers to my own on going problem.
Tell us some more about your ongoing problem and we might be able to help...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks PetrolDave,

I've suddenly lossed (after a flat battery which i've just recalled) my video input into the RNS-E from a Dietz. All functions of the RNS-E are fine, just lost the picture whilst in TV mode. (I get a black screen with a thin line at the bottom).

Thanks must go to Lee whos has suggested testing the RGB output, but i've no lead to test it. In fact, i've just come back from my Car Audio Installer who too hasn't been able to test it!!!

Sorry for hijacking someone else's thread...

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.