Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to install a bluetooth kit along with the RNS-E, and of course everyone here seems to be installing the Audi kit, which offers the best integration.

However, the Audi kit seems like it costs over $750 all in, while the Parrot CK3000Evo for example can be had for under $200. The Parrot offers voice control (e.g. answer a call by saying "phone") and voice dialing but no caller ID or visual indicators.

I understand that if I had the MFSW the Audi kit would offer voice dialing and contact control directly from the wheel, but I have the 3 spoke sport wheel with Tip buttons, and I don't see myself replacing it.

So without the MFSW, I imagine I would control the BT kit entirely using the rotary knob on the RNS-E?

I guess my main question is: am I missing something about the Audi BT kit? I know some people here have had both the older Parrot as well as the Audi kit, is it really 4 times better?

Sorry for the rambling post, but the more I think about it, it seems like without the MFSW the Audi BT kit does not offer enough advantages to justify the big price difference.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I had the same question and I do not plan to get the 4 spoke B6 or 3 spoke B7 MFSW for my USP. One option which I will explore eventually is to use the OnStar buttons and rewire them to work as MFSW buttons. Haven't really looked into details but all you need is one button to start voice control. Nothing beats the price argument though but most who have done it wanted the OEM solution anyway.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you do the wiring yourself, you can easily get the cost down below $600. However, this is still a huge price difference and I understand your concerns about the functionality without the MFSW. It seems you have your facts right, so from here it is a decision only you can make for your own car.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Another thought? - could the BNS buttons be retro-fitted into the centre console and, with some special wiring, made to behave as the MFSW buttons needed for voice control?

That would be a way of getting an OE look without the expense of changing the steering wheel and airbag.

Any ideas on how feasible it might be? If nobody "shoots down" the idea I'll start investigating it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I had Parrot and I have OEM tel now. This is like night and day.
First and most important OEM is stealth, no extra buttons, wires, microphones and displays.

Second, I just love full functionality and controll from the NAV display, RECEIVED / DIALED calls, caller ID, PHONEBOOK.

Sure Parrot have some of those functions but they require external display which you can't even compare to RNS-E display (CONTRAST/ COLORS / FONT SIZE).

There is also DIS call info (not that important).

All of this is just without MFSW, but if you add one it's even better.
IMHO it is worth it every penny even that it is not cheap (BMW and BENZ systems are more expensive and they are not even that good)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
PROXUS said:
All of this is just without MFSW, but if you add one it's even better.
IMHO it is worth it every penny even that it is not cheap
100% agree with every word!

·
Registered
117 Posts
PROXUS said:
I had Parrot and I have OEM tel now. This is like night and day.
First and most important OEM is stealth, no extra buttons, wires, microphones and displays.
Hmm,

No wires? You mean no visible wires, is that right?

Is the microphone also hidden in the roof where the light is or is it visible?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PROXUS said:
I just love full functionality and controll from the NAV display, RECEIVED / DIALED calls, caller ID, PHONEBOOK.
THat's another concern I have: I have a Palm Treo 700w, which is a CDMA phone, thus no SIM card. I've heard that the Palm-OS based Treos have limited Bluetooth capabilities, and I wonder if the same issue might afflict the 700w. If so, that would mean all those call logs and phonebook might not be available to me...

PROXUS, you have an iMATE phone right? Is that WM5 and Bluetooth 1.2 like the Treo? Do you get full integration functionality with that phone?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
FWIW I have the CDMA RAZR (verizon) and it pairs up 100%. THe one and only thing it does not do is display the network name at the top of the screen like some other networks... which is fine with me. They've already got their name on too much stuff as it is.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
ktkemp said:
PROXUS said:
I just love full functionality and controll from the NAV display, RECEIVED / DIALED calls, caller ID, PHONEBOOK.
THat's another concern I have: I have a Palm Treo 700w, which is a CDMA phone, thus no SIM card. I've heard that the Palm-OS based Treos have limited Bluetooth capabilities, and I wonder if the same issue might afflict the 700w. If so, that would mean all those call logs and phonebook might not be available to me...

PROXUS, you have an iMATE phone right? Is that WM5 and Bluetooth 1.2 like the Treo? Do you get full integration functionality with that phone?

Thanks
Yes, I have MDA Vario from Deutche Telecom (T-Mobile) but I have firmware loaded from K-Mate. I have full functionality except one icon (signal strenght - I can live with that). It is WM5 phone and operates based on Microsoft Bluetooth protocols (I believe it is BT v.2.0)

From what I undertsand Treo700w is a WM5 powered phone so you should be fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
PROXUS said:
ktkemp said:
PROXUS said:

Thanks
Yes, I have MDA Vario from Deutche Telecom (T-Mobile) but I have firmware loaded from K-Mate. I have full functionality except one icon (signal strenght - I can live with that). It is WM5 phone and operates based on Microsoft Bluetooth protocols (I believe it is BT v.2.0)

From what I undertsand Treo700w is a WM5 powered phone so you should be fine.
Well I want to say thanks for using our OS :).. hope you like it. I have the new HTC smartphone (Cingular 2125) with WM5.0... so i am hoping for good results when i get BT up and running. -Greg (from Redmond)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts