Audi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I'm in a call or someone phones me, all it says is "PHONE", in the DIS. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it puts the caller's ID in there (as it shows on the main RNS-E screen). Does this mean I've screwed it up? What worries me about the wiring changes I had to make to put the BT CANH&L into an existing harness is that although I checked out and belled out the wires a dozen times, the conclusion was always that I had to connect an existing yellow wire to a white, and a white to a yellow.. I'm *really* confident that this was right and that one of the harnesses must have been wired the other way around, but then the "PHONE", thing makes me less sure.. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Andy

Have you actually read the instructions supplied. It mentions coding your cluster to make names and numbers appear in the DIS

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, my apologies, I must have missed the cluster when doing the coding. It works now, thanks.

I hadn't been using your document as my primary source of information, since the physical fitting instructions didn't bear out with my car, I perhaps mistrusted the rest of it. FWIW I've got the unit in place somewhere just above the area where the left foot rest is, there seemed to be a decent gap there. I still say there's no way it'll go behind the glove box. You might argue that it'll go somewhere that you have to get to by taking the glovebox out, but not behind it per se. I didn't use those wire tapping clips you supplied, although they looked really smart. I was just worried they'd bulk up the harness just a little too much, and as you know, it's tight back there!

Thanks for your help, again!

·
Registered
479 Posts
If all else fails read the Instructions !

Read Twice Fit Once :D :D :D

Read Once Fit Twice :( :( :(

There is loads of room behind and above the Glove Box, I have not only fiited my Bluetooth Unit there, but also my Ham Radio control unit and all the associated wiring and there is still room to spare.

But there is no way you can fit anything there without removing first the Glove Box, I can't imagine how you might expect to do it any other way :?: :?: :?:

Glad to see it's all working OK now

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: If all else fails read the Instructions !

Dave.G6HNI said:
There is loads of room behind and above the Glove Box, I have not only fiited my Bluetooth Unit there, but also my Ham Radio control unit and all the associated wiring and there is still room to spare.
Not on this RS6, really. I should perhaps take a photo. I've seen photos of other installations in other cars and yeah, there's loads more room there, but in mine there's a few large 'things' which are positioned such that when pushing the glovebox back, it fits snugly up against them.

Dave.G6HNI said:
But there is no way you can fit anything there without removing first the Glove Box, I can't imagine how you might expect to do it any other way :?: :?: :?:
Well I've managed to find room on the other side, the drivers side footwell. That trim also comes away quite easily. It was useful to remove the glovebox anyway, because it gives the *tiniest* glimpse of the rear of the RNS-E as it's being pushed back into place, which helps me arrange the harness so as it'll push all the way back.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Andy

Having done about 10 or more RS6's, I can say that only once have I not been able to fit it behind the glovebox because tracker was installed there.

But I'm glad you've got the "preparation" sorted

Craig

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was able to use the space behind the glovebox, but I had to modify the steering tilt/telescope memorey module to invert it into the bracket. I then had room for the BT module.

Here is the Steering module that is in the way:

And the bracket into which the module was placed facing in:

These angled edges of the tabs had to be cut off (with a Dremel) leaving the flat tabs:

And then I could install the BT module:

Fits like a "glove"!!! What else is behind there in the RS6??? Just curious...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually, the bluetooth module fits very tightly behind the steering column control module on that bracket. Remove the control module, insert the BT module all the way back in the bracket, then re-install the steering column module in its original place. No velcro is necessary because the BT module is held tightly. No trimming of tabs either.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hey, that is great! I did not try that test fit...I had the tabs cut down already and the module inverted because I was exploring the possibility of putting the DVD player in the glovebox, but decided that I did not want to cut up the glovebox.. I guess I am moving things around again...thanks Lee for the tip! :)))

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Just one other thing to mention, if your phone module can wires were not correctly wired to the cluster, then the phone module would not work, it requires the signals from the cluster to startup.

andyt99 said:
Whenever I'm in a call or someone phones me, all it says is "PHONE", in the DIS. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it puts the caller's ID in there (as it shows on the main RNS-E screen). Does this mean I've screwed it up? What worries me about the wiring changes I had to make to put the BT CANH&L into an existing harness is that although I checked out and belled out the wires a dozen times, the conclusion was always that I had to connect an existing yellow wire to a white, and a white to a yellow.. I'm *really* confident that this was right and that one of the harnesses must have been wired the other way around, but then the "PHONE", thing makes me less sure.. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boston Driver said:
I was able to use the space behind the glovebox, but I had to modify the steering tilt/telescope memorey module to invert it into the bracket. I then had room for the BT module. Here is the Steering module that is in the way:
That looks pretty similar to what I had, but I've put mine back together now, so I can't directly compare. Fair enough if you got it to fit by moving the parts already there and dremelling bits off, but that's different to there being loads of room and it just fitting! Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I fitted an S6 with BT yesterday and used the same bracket, no problems whatsoever, just pop the module into the bracket and secured with a small metal bar and one nut. I still maintain there is tons of room behind the A6/S6/Rs6 glovebox.

·
Registered
172 Posts
craigyb said:
I fitted an S6 with BT yesterday and used the same bracket, no problems whatsoever, just pop the module into the bracket and secured with a small metal bar and one nut. I still maintain there is tons of room behind the A6/S6/Rs6 glovebox.
Looks like I'm moving my module...thanks for the additional info! Much easier than what I originally did, and a LOT easier than removing seats, lower A-pillar trim, etc. to get under the carpet. I am assuming that the S6 did not have the OnStar, or even if it did, you did not want to place it under the carpet in the factory OnStar module location?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i can confirm lee's advice. this is the way i fitted the bt module in my rs6. also confirm that there is plenty of room behind the glovebox but:

1) this car is rhd, and
2) the fitting behind the memory controller looks like it was meant to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.