Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used the search function and I just cant quite figure this out.

I have a rns-e retro fit i bought from proxus. I also have the multimedia kit from him as well.

3 questions

1) Can I hook my ipod through the multimedia kit so I can control it from the rns-e, or does something exsist that allows this to happen?
2) Can my navigation disc be in the glove compartment instead of the dash since it plays dvd's. I want to be able to easily remove the dash dvd for changing purposes.
3) Can I burn mp3's on a dvd and play it in the dash rns-e dvd drive?

Thanks in advance for my utter stupidity.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
1) No
2) No
3) No

·
Registered
27 Posts
1) No, you can't control an iPod thru the RSN-e [yet] with the Proxus unit. However, you can play your iPod thru the unit with a simple cable--RCA to Mini, and control songs from the iPod. Just change the input source on the mulltimedia unit.

2) Nope. Definately can't do that.

3) Yes. You can burn MP3s to a DVD and play them in the RSN-e DVD drive. The functionality is listed in your owners manual...however, this completely disables your NAV unit until the Nav DVD is re-inserted.

4) You can, however, purchase a small laptop drive that is powered by USB and put all your songs on that.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The RNS-E does not play MP3 from DVD, just from CD-ROM. Or did I miss something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I truly appreciate the response. So it sounds like the thing to do is hook up a Hard drive through the multimedia kit and leave the nav disc in the dash at all times.

When Im said and done,bluetooth and all, Im going to have 3,000 in this set-up. I guess its cheaper than the dealer.

So I can put mp3's on a dvd disc and play in the glove compartment dvd player as well. It will show the files on the screen? I am getting this installed tomm. I will post the functionality.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't tested a DVD with MP3s on the Multimedia Unit, but my guess is that it will definately work.

If you ripped your music using iTunes, you might need to download a program called 'The Godfather' to help with mass renaming of your MP3s, if they don't display properly.

http://www.download.com/The-GodFather/3000-2141_4-10544451.html?tag=lst-0-1

Also, thumb drives will work, but they get pricey.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I first got the car, I was able to get MP3s to play from the DVD player in the RSN-e. I gave up once I realized that the NAV unit becomes disabled at that point. It was a matter of getting the file structure right...and that, I believe, was outlined in the manual.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
lilmonkeyA3 said:
When I first got the car, I was able to get MP3s to play from the DVD player in the RSN-e. I gave up once I realized that the NAV unit becomes disabled at that point. It was a matter of getting the file structure right...and that, I believe, was outlined in the manual.
You can certainly play MP3 in the internal DVD drive but only from a CD, not from a DVD.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
lilmonkeyA3 said:
I haven't tested a DVD with MP3s on the Multimedia Unit, but my guess is that it will definately work.
It has been posted on here several times that an MP3 DVD definitely will NOT work in the internal drive, it's MP3 CD's ONLY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.