Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129006

Can any RNS-e guru's tell me if this cable can do the following ...

1. integrate with iPod ? (I am assuming that I will need an Icelink or something as well ?)
2. run video from the ipod on the RNS-e screen ? (what formats and will this work in motion?)
3. display the song info much like the SD cards do when using iPod ?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

·
Registered
258 Posts
this will enable you to integrate with the ipod in an ANALOG function. if you want to be in digital, you will need the icelink, however, to see video, you will still need this connector as the icelink is for audio only. also, you will NOT see song info on the rns. you can have up to 6 playlists on the ipod and using CD1, CD2.... CD6, you will choose the playlists, but not see song information other than TRACK1, TRACK2.... on the rns using the icelink, HOWEVER, using the icelink will enable you to keep the steering wheel controls to switch songs whereas the multimedia adapter will need you to change songs on the ipod. for the mutimedia adaptor, you will also need this to connect to the ipod:

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You have the following options to connect an iPod to the RNS-E:

As device emulating a CD changer
Pros: Can control iPod from RNS-E or steering wheel, good (analogue) audio quality using line out on the iPod
Cons: No song/artist/playlist info on the RNS-E, limited to 5+1 or 6 playlists (depends on interface and firmware), no video at all

As AV source:
Pros: Display video from iPod using AV adapter
Cons: Using headphone audio out may have impact on sound quality, video only, black screen when playing audio, no iPod remote control

Alternatives:
Audi Music Interface: Does not exist for the RNS-E but would be perfect because it would allow full control of the iPod
3rd party AV iPod dock with IR remote and AV interface, may not be made for 12V enviroment and doesn't allow control from the RNS-E or steering wheel

·
Registered
167 Posts
Better option is to plug a Mac Mini into the RNS-E, plug the iPod into the mac mini if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.