Audi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Useless because it doesn't show the menus... it's just a regular video output... only for slideshows and videos.
(you can do that with a regular ipod dock from an apple store, it has an s-video out)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reply from company

Here is an email I got from these guys regarding adapting this to cars.

Alex,

expect to see a solution from us this summer.

If you want to get notified when a solution or other products become
available, simply subscribe our newsletter by sending any email to
[email protected]. You can unsubscribe at any time and there is
no need to worry: we do hate spam too.

We have many exciting things to come!

Best regards,
Sean Preyer

----------------------------------------------------------
SendStation Systems
Berger Str. 102
60316 Frankfurt/Main email [email protected]
[Germany] Web www.sendstation.com
----------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> The pocketdock AV seems like a killer idea - can I make a comment
> that there are some car systems that do not have IPOD
> syncronization capabilities (like the audi nav plus (rns-e to us US
> people)
>
> And that this would be ideal for that purpose EXCEPT we would need
> a 12V power supply instead of USB AND a way to hook a remote
> control into it.......
>
> Any thoughts on hard this might be?????

·
Registered
89 Posts
RE:

Well crap, I really had my hopes for a fully compatible unit with the RNS-E. Guess I will have to just follow the norm and switch from my FM transmitter to a Dension or Audi OEM adapter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dude, there's no way that thing has the capability to translate the menus of the ipod into a video signal. I don't see it mentioned anywhere.
It's *useless* unless you specifically want to view slideshows or watch movies.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DLO does have a product with onscreen nav

http://www.dlo.com/Products/homedoc_dx_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11739737789099977

they even have a video

Problem with that is the form factor (made to be a stand not a car solution) and that it has a wireless remote (dont know if that can be converted to work with the RNS-e or can bus -

for those that are adventurous -there are online instructions on how to make an ipod extender cable

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/18/how-to-design-your-own-ipod-super-dock-part-1/

I wonder if this is what proxus was looking for - someone to make this cable as I have not found anyone that makes it......

Wasnt there a can bus emulator out there that might act as a remote gateway?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
From watching the video here's what I think is happening ... they realised that you cannot get the iPod menus to display on the video output, so they have created their own GUI which talks to the iPod. When the iPod outputs video (i.e. you play a video file) that appears on their video outputs, but the rest of the time you see their GUI and NOT the iPod GUI.

My guess would be that replacing their remote with the RNS-E controls will require a box that sits on the CAN bus and converts messages from the RNS-E into IR data to control this device. Which is way more than a simple CAN emulator can do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: DLO does have a product with onscreen nav

agoltz said:
http://www.dlo.com/Products/homedoc_dx_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=11739737789099977

they even have a video
different product, and yes they clearly have created their own GUI.
I suggested that someone put an XBox 360 in their car because you can plug an iPod into that and it'll control it from the controller

1 - 11 of 11 Posts