Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone-

1. I recently got a 2004 A4 Quattro Cab 3.0 w/Symphony II, Bose, and XM

2. I purchased a RNS-E Euro, "K", 2006 with latest firmware and converted to work in US (shipped with 2007 Map disk).

3. I had the local Audi dealer install the system today and everything works fine- navigation, SD, AM, FM radio, multifunctional steering wheel commands everything as it should, but the XM is interesting:

4. When I select "Radio" band and push until XM is highlighted, for a brief instant, the XM list appears then disappears and I get "Initializing" message on the NAV display.

5. I get XM channel LaughAttack as the only XM channel

6. Simultaneously, I get "Initial. SDARS- No SDARS" in the display behind the wheel, and "This vehicle is equipped for a simplified installation of satellite radio - using your existing radio. To order satellite radio service, please contact your Audi dealer"

But I have no tunability of the other XM stations.

The car/radio system is receiving XM, I am an XM subscriber, and I am getting one XM channel- LaughAttack (I suppose it could be stuck on worse...)

Help?!

P.S.: The unit can be turned on, with or without the key in any position, and there is the sound of a fan on all the time. Is this normal?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
AudiA4B6US is correct.
Tuner is not compatible with RNS-E.

Check if your tuner's part number is ending with E or D. Those are for XM and Sirius and both are RNS-E ready.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Thank you for your help. Your confirmation(s) led to my decision of swapping the XM with a Sirius module instead (Audi no longer supports XM anyway)...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealership Involvement

kak39 said:
I'm wondering how mucht he dealership charged for the install? did they route to sharkfin?
No sharkfin- I have a 2004 quattro cabriolet- any/all antennas are mounted within the trunk lid.

The total cost for the install and recoding was about $160. Money well spent to ensure my warranty (both original which runs out next year, and the certified used portions) stay intact. They cut me a decent deal on the new Sirius module as well.

Bottom Line: Don't fear the dealers- when the [email protected]!T hits the fan (and it will), making friends will come in handy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts