Audi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed from using both that the EU software actually says the city or road names much more often. In fact, the US version hardly ever does.

For example, with the EU software, the RNS-E would say this during route guidance: "Turn right at the next freeway enterance onto I-78 W towards Harrisburg and the Penna Turnpike"

Now, with the US software, it says: "Turn right at the next freeway enterance onto I-78 West"

Also, another example (this time when on the highway and about to exit):

EU Software: "Prepare to turn right at the Hamilton Boulevard exit"
US Software: "Prepare to turn right at Exit 51"

Any ideas on why this would be? I know there was a post awhile ago on how to customize or change the voice prompts. Do you think it would be possible to turn the city and road names on in the US software?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Exit numbers are still pretty new in Europe (about 10 years in Germany IIRC) and you are much better of knowing where the exit is going than what number it is. Also, that whole east/west/north/south thing is not really working either, with streets going anywhere but straight into one direction. So when driving in Europe you usually drive on Interstate X coming from Y torwards Z and you have to get off at 123 Street which happens to be Exit abc or whatever. Maybe that's the reason why the Euro software is the way it is...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AudiA4B6US said:
Exit numbers are still pretty new in Europe (about 10 years in Germany IIRC) and you are much better of knowing where the exit is going than what number it is. Also, that whole east/west/north/south thing is not really working either, with streets going anywhere but straight into one direction. So when driving in Europe you usually drive on Interstate X coming from Y torwards Z and you have to get off at 123 Street which happens to be Exit abc or whatever. Maybe that's the reason why the Euro software is the way it is...
Makes sense. However, unfortunately, many of the exit numbers here in the US seem to be wrong or out-of-date on the disc (good ol' Navtec), not to mention its just damn cool having your Nav system say the name of the road or town listed on the exit sign.

Now, the system must use a text-to-speech engine since it can't possibly be programmed with WAV files for every town or road listed on a freeway sign, and the data must all be on the map disc since I haven't switched disc versions between the EU and US software. So, since there is already knowledge on altering the voice guidance ques, what do you think the possibility of adding this feature to a US system would be?

·
Registered
24 Posts
talking computer

Personally I'd preffer if "Nadia" would tell me more than "Exit blah blah ahead turn right". I can think of more than one way to make that alot more interesting... :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts