Audi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I've lost my dash display ... When I initially installed the RNS-E in my B6 (2006 DVD), the cluster display worked immediately so I'm wondering if this is a known issue with upgrading to the more recent DVD ??

TIA !

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
AFAIK this problem hasn't been mentioned by anyone else before you.

Check the RNS-E and instruments for fault codes, and that the value in channel 62 of the instruments is still correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I did have a code that I cleared but it's still not working. The trip computer button cyles the display 1 > 2> off (as if I no longer have the RNS-E and am back to the OEM 6 in dash unit). I haven't checked channel 62 as my obdtool cable (with registered software) won't allow me to do this. :(

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
check for people with VAG in your area:

http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl

once you access it with VAG ..check instrument cluster coding.
I would suggest to use lower values (skip 16 coding)
so for NAV and radio you should get 5 not 21

also check if your firmware didn't change your NAV coding.
Sometimes it happens, especially if you have converted EU version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its alive !! :? After driving around for 2 days (and really missing the cluster readout) it magically re-appeared ! :D

Thanks for the input anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Avantquattro said:
Its alive !! :? After driving around for 2 days (and really missing the cluster readout) it magically re-appeared ! :D

Thanks for the input anyway.
That's another known feature! Sometimes the instruments, even when correctly programmed, just "take time" to start showing the navigation instructions :?:

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is a good example of how Audi do some things... The RNS-E use the DIS with two CAN commands, 6C0 and 6C1, and that commands must be sended sequentially, this is not real, but a clear example (R=RNS-E, C=Cluster):

R-6C0 1 A0 C=OK
R-6C0 1 A1 C=OK
R-6C0 1 A2 C=OK
R-6C0 1 A4 C=FAIL!!

In this example the command "6C0 1 x3" has been loosed (bad communication, software bug, or any other cause). After this, the RNS-E ignores the cluster (and cluster ignores RNS-E), so you loose your DIS messages.

If you reboot the navi, the counter will initialize, and start again with this:

R-6C0 1 A0 C=FAIL!!

This is because the cluster is still waiting a 6C0 1 A3... So you have two choices to fix this:

1) Reboot the cluster and the RNS-E at same time (battery off)
2) Wait until you have luck and the RNS-E starts a good CAN sequence with the right number (this may happen in one hour or one month).

Note that this does not happen with the two top rows, because that lines only uses 261&263 CAN commands, without counter, so always works.

Nice, isn't it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice ? .... NOT !

Interesting how my issues only started with the 2007 DVD ... It seems that the clsuter display disappears from time to time and I have to go through the sequence of starting the car, opening my door then turning the navi off then back on to make it come back ! The good news is that if I've programmed in a destination then the display doesn't disappear while driving (if just in compass mode this has happened).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts