Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my the correct model sirius tuner installed in my B7 A4 on my RNS-E US unit. I read in another post that in order to activate the receiver I must switch the can-bus connection from the right position to the left position (located on the passenger side door). As soon as I did that I began to hear the Sirius preview channel 184. I then had Sirius beam down the activation four times and it still isnt working.

I can listen to the preview channel, but the display first says "initializing" and then after 10 minutes it gives the message like "your car is equipped with sat radio...contact audi to get it installed".

In the other posting it explained that I needed to change some codes with VAG.I took it to my tech at audi and he said that they couldnt hook it up to the VAG because it was giving him errors. He couldnt troubleshoot becuse he said the Dietz 1417 or 1280 adapters were interupting the can bus. He tried turning the video in motion off and still problems. Does that sound right or is he just lying to me? What should I do ( I think I should reconnect the can bus connection like it was originally and have him try it again)?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I can listen to the preview channel, but the display first says "initializing" and then after 10 minutes it gives the message like "your car is equipped with sat radio...contact audi to get it installed".
This usually points to a first generation SAT receiver. But since you have a B7 and said you have the correct receiver I suppose you checked that it is a "D" unit.

To exclude the Dietz from the equation I would remove it from the CAN bus and check if your setup works that way. The Dietz is filtering stuff off the CAN which could be one reason for trouble. And although people reported success with even CAT5 network cable, the CAN wires should be twisted in a certain way to avoid interferences.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
schindy said:
I got my the correct model sirius tuner installed in my B7 A4 on my RNS-E US unit. I read in another post that in order to activate the receiver I must switch the can-bus connection from the right position to the left position (located on the passenger side door). As soon as I did that I began to hear the Sirius preview channel 184. I then had Sirius beam down the activation four times and it still isnt working.

In the other posting it explained that I needed to change some codes with VAG.I took it to my tech at audi and he said that they couldnt hook it up to the VAG because it was giving him errors. He couldnt troubleshoot becuse he said the Dietz 1417 or 1280 adapters were interupting the can bus. He tried turning the video in motion off and still problems. Does that sound right or is he just lying to me? What should I do ( I think I should reconnect the can bus connection like it was originally and have him try it again)?

Thanks
My XM tuner was behaving in a similar fashion... it was dead. I had to replace it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just went over to audi today and they are saying they cant fix anything because of the dietz pieces i have in my car (1280 and 1417) Even when I have the video in motion switced off, they are saying it is giving them errors in the can bus. I originally brought it in because the seat heaters werent working anf they said the can bus malfunction from the dietz adapters can cause them to not work. That sounds like BS to me.

So basically audi cant use the VAG to activate my sirius tuner or fix my seat heaters because the dietz pieces are installed. What should I do?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
schindy said:
What should I do?
Remove the Dietz adapters from the CAN-BUS. This is the only way to start over and confirm that there are no other issues. Once confirmed you can reconnect the Dietz adapters and see what happens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This usually points to a first generation SAT receiver. But since you have a B7 and said you have the correct receiver I suppose you checked that it is a "D" unit.
I just took the unit out of the back and the model number says:

8E0 035 593 H01

Here is a picture:

http://server1.pictiger.com/img/21524/other/sirius-model-number.php

When I ordered the part from Audi, he asked me the year and model and if the car had tire pressure monitoring and I said no. Is it supposed to say D and not H?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yah if you look at the picture the H01 is spaced pretty far from the other numbers.

check out the pic

please help

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That's the old receiver. You dealer started right when asking for the TPMS but he forgot to ask if you have the RNS-E. If either of both are installed you have to use the 2nd generation receiver, part number 8E0 035 593 D. I would return it to your dealer mentioning Technical Bulletin 91-05-01 which clearly states which receiver to order if the RNS-E is installed.

http://b6s4.com/tsb/audi.tb.91-05-01.pdf

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
schindy said:
I just went over to audi today and they are saying they cant fix anything because of the dietz pieces i have in my car (1280 and 1417) Even when I have the video in motion switced off, they are saying it is giving them errors in the can bus. I originally brought it in because the seat heaters werent working anf they said the can bus malfunction from the dietz adapters can cause them to not work. That sounds like BS to me.

So basically audi cant use the VAG to activate my sirius tuner or fix my seat heaters because the dietz pieces are installed. What should I do?
It is possible since your seat heaters are part of the climate control unit... and that unit is on the convenience CANbus. Since your B7 uses the CAN for diagnostics as well, your Dietz may be interfering with the diagnostics as a whole from it's node on the infotainment CANbus network.

I doubt this is the case... but unplug them then take your car back up to the dealership to have everything fixed... and get the correct sirius tuner version "D".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt this is the case... but unplug them then take your car back up to the dealership to have everything fixed...
When I asked the "master tech" at the audi dealership, he said if I were to disconnect the Dietz 1417 and 1280 that my CAN BUS would still be corrupted and he would have to then go back into the car and "restore" (for lack of a better word) the CAN BUS to its original state. I said that didnt seem right because the adapter was on a switch and just ran between the CAN signal. Nevertheless, he insisted that it had been "hacked" and it might take him a day of work to "restore". Once I take out the adapters, wont the speed sense interupt stop corrupting the CAN BUS and everything will return to normal?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Audi is very picky about the CAN-bus and anything connected to it. The official word is that a pair of CAN wires has to be repaired in a very specific way. And that's what the technicians learn when they get trained.

I know that many people have modified the CAN in their cars, and have no problem after doing so. The infotainment CAN is the slowest of the three CAN busses (100kbit). The engine CAN runs at 1Mbit and is much more sensible to interferences.

That being said, the dealer's VAG/VAS talks to the RNS-E over the k-wire and not over the CAN bus. And your SAT receiver doesn't work because it's the wrong part number and not because your CAN is broken. I'm sure that once you removed the Dietz and got the right receiver, everything wil be fine.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
schindy said:
I doubt this is the case... but unplug them then take your car back up to the dealership to have everything fixed...
When I asked the "master tech" at the audi dealership, he said if I were to disconnect the Dietz 1417 and 1280 that my CAN BUS would still be corrupted and he would have to then go back into the car and "restore" (for lack of a better word) the CAN BUS to its original state. I said that didnt seem right because the adapter was on a switch and just ran between the CAN signal. Nevertheless, he insisted that it had been "hacked" and it might take him a day of work to "restore". Once I take out the adapters, wont the speed sense interupt stop corrupting the CAN BUS and everything will return to normal?
I'm not a CAN expert... but that sounds like baloney to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That being said, the dealer's VAG/VAS talks to the RNS-E over the k-wire and not over the CAN bus. And your SAT receiver doesn't work because it's the wrong part number and not because your CAN is broken. I'm sure that once you removed the Dietz and got the right receiver, everything wil be fine.
So does that mean there will be no way for me to add the Dietz adapter without corrupting the CAN BUS ?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
So does that mean there will be no way for me to add the Dietz adapter without corrupting the CAN BUS ?
I haven't said that. But it's much easier to troubleshoot an issue with fewer components. Once your SAT receiver is working and your tech can connect his VAS you can start over and connect the Dietz. Several other are using the Dietz with no or only few issues.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
schindy said:
I personally don't think your CAN is corrupt. If it is, this will be the first I've heard of this happening from a Dietz device.

1- Your SAT receiver doesn't work because it is the wrong part... not because your CAN is corrupt.

2- Your heated seats are on the comfort CAN... so in order for your Dietz boxes to have corrupted that, it would have had to foul everything up through your CAN gateway... which I also doubt. I'd suspect some other problem with your seat heaters that your dealer doesn't want to diagnose so they are using the corrupt CAN as an excuse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nsx jr, i think your right.

now my problem is that I dont have the box to return the sat tuner in. I have the receipt and its been less than 30 days, but they are telling me I still need the box. This is after I explained that there was a technical bulletin posted that explained the parts guy screwed up. Its just one problem after another...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even after I get the correct model number sirius tuner, will I have to go back and switch the can bus connection on the passenger side door and also have audi program with the VAG?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
schindy said:
Even after I get the correct model number sirius tuner, will I have to go back and switch the can bus connection on the passenger side door and also have audi program with the VAG?
No, it seems that your CAN connection near the passenger side door has already been engaged when you installed your first Sirius tuner. The tuner should not require any type of programming because it has no connection with the diagnostic system. You should be able to simply swap out your new tuner for the old one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts