Audi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi experts, can anyone tell me if it is possible to install a RNS-E unit in a car without canbus/k-lines and so..

i was thinking of installing and RNS-E in my girlfreind Chevrolet Aveo.

my thought was:

just recode the navi with vagcom in an Audi. take it out and build in the chevy.

connect:

- 12V and ground
- connect speakers
- connect Fakra arial (for radio and GPS)
- connect .........

is it so simple as that??

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
charly_holland said:
hi experts, can anyone tell me if it is possible to install a RNS-E unit in a car without canbus/k-lines and so..

i was thinking of installing and RNS-E in my girlfreind Chevrolet Aveo.

my thought was:

just recode the navi with vagcom in an Audi. take it out and build in the chevy.

connect:

- 12V and ground
- connect speakers
- connect Fakra arial (for radio and GPS)
- connect .........

is it so simple as that??
You will have to code it for an A6 then connect a speed signal wire and let it calibrate itself for the first few miles. You will also have to connect a CANbus emulator so that it will power up/down with the ignition and the buttons will illuminate.

Wouldn't it just be easier to install an aftermarket nav system like a pioneer??

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Or get an Audi? :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
Or get an Audi? :lol:
:wink: Mine is in a Toyota. That said, an aftermarket unit would be easier for you to install and integrate to the car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is

hi i have a A4 but this navo i want to install in my gilrfriends car.
so the gala wore is an issue or?

the guy from the toyota did you build this navi in a toyota? what problems did you have or was is as easy as it looks.

just put in the right code wehn installed in an audi and then take it out and put it in the chevrolet(aveo).

the ignition is just like in a car radio.. switch 12V wire or am i wrong?

i am curious...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Re: it is

charly_holland said:
the ignition is just like in a car radio.. switch 12V wire or am i wrong?
Wrong. The RNS-E does NOT have an ignition (switched 12V) feed, only a permanent one.

So how does it turn on/off with the ignition? By decoding a message on the CAN bus. So at the very least you need to install a CAN bus emulator - to generate the ignition and illumination (there is no "lights on" signal either) CAN bus signals that every RNS-E needs.

If you code the RNS-E for an A6 then it will accept the speed signal over a separate wire, coded for an other Audi it needs the speed signal over the CAN bus too.

And of course you won't get the navigation directions on the DIS ...

Can't help thinking an aftermarket sat nav would be a better/easier choice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
emulator

ok, and what does a CAN bus emulator cost where can i buy it ?? is it easy to install?

and the speed wire where do i connect that wire to normally in a A6 ?

so i understand it is an adventure.. but i headr a guy builded it into his VW GOLF so it should be possible not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts