Audi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, I'm new to this forum (any forum actually) so I'm not sure I'm in the right place or participating correctly. So, take that into account if you decide to respond. Thanks.

By the way, I have owned 3 Audi A6s, but looking at this forum, I feel like a real novice. I don't know the other codes designations for my A6s and I don't even know what the Nav system for my car is called (RNS-D, RNS-E, Nav+, etc. ???). So feel free to educate me if you have the time. Thanks again.

OK, here's the problem: I purchased a 2006 Audi A6 Avant (wagon) from a used car dealer in Colorado. It was advertised as having a navigation system installed. When it was delivered to me in Virginia, I found that it did not have the navigation unit installed.

I asked the local Audi dealer if it could be "easily" installed since there was already a shark fin antenna on the roof and a head unit/console with a display screen, and console buttons for navigation. The parts department told me that it could be done easily and that was all that was needed. (This later turned out to be bogus advice, since I also needed a installation kit and the DVD from NavTeq.)

I called the used car dealer who offered to refund my money or pay for the navigation drive. I offered to pay for the installation, which I thought would only be about $200 or so.

After telling the used car dealer that I would keep the car and have the local Audi dealer install the drive, the local Audi dealer told me that I needed to also have an installation kit (about $230) and that I needed to order the NavTeq DVD ($199 plus shipping), which I did.

After the local Audi dealer received all the parts I was told that, while it was fairly easy to install the drive in the 2006 sedan (it is apparently pre-wired) it is much more difficult to install the drive in the wagon. The local Audi dealer estimated $1700 since they would need to run wires from the front to the back and that the headliner would have to be removed. I told them I wouldn't have that done. So I picked up the DVD drive, which had be paid for by the used car dealer.

As a result, I now own a new Harmon-Becker DVD drive for Audi and the NavTeq DVD version 5, and I'm not sure whether I should pursue trying to have them installed in my car or sell them on eBay.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks for your response.

Jack

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Welcome and a happy new year. You seem to have the current generation A6 which is also called C6 or 4F. Those cars, as well as the A8 and Q7, have the real MMI system in various configurations. In order to install the DVD nav you have to have the color screen which is part of MMI High (MMI Basic and MMI Basic Plus come with the red screen and can only be compined with a CD navigation unit).

I know that Kufatec in Germany sells retrofit kits for the MMI DVD Nav. You may want to contact Euro-parts.us since they sells Kufatec stuff in the US. Together you may be able to determine how much effort it is to retrofit the DVD nav in your car.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nav unit

I have one of the DVD nav units and installation kits you need in stock. I have more kits on the way. I will be happy to sell with instructions, but it is better to have professionally installed. It only takes 1 or 2 hours to install, including all the coding and adaptations. Contact at [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify, I already own the DVD drive. It was purhased for me by the dealer who sold me the car. Now I need to find out if it can be installed on a 2006 A6 Wagon. I also have the high MMI with the multi-colored screen if that helps.

I was told that the headliner had to be removed, but I don't know if that's correct. If so, I assume that that would significantly increase the installation cost. There is a shark fin antenna on the roof, but I don't know if the GPS antenna cable is pre-installed on the Avant wagon. I'm thinking of purchasing the DVD shop manual to see if that shows what cabling is present.

jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts