Audi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a front camera to my Q7.
I used a parking sensor holder from the 2010 model that fits into front radiator grille, part.no 4L0 919 257 D T94.

The camera is a front facing 0.1 lux Sony single CCD mini camera which i bought for 99 Euro at a local security shop. Its powered at 12volts and has a composite video output.

The camera is water proof, fits perfectly in the sensor mounting and i secured it with silicon based glue which also seals it against water and moisture. So far i washed the car 10 times and i had to drive 100 km in heavy rain. The camera is water proof.

The video feed goes to the Hybrid Tv Tuner on Aux Input 1 in order to be displayed on the MMI screen.

My plan now is to fit a small single channel DVR which i found on ebay for 49 USD, capable to record a single channel at 30 fps on an 8GB SDCard with date and time stamp.

The DVR is powered at 12 volts and can be programmed to record at motion detection.

This way i will be able to record all my trips and have a video proof if i choose to contest a traffic ticket. To be fully satisfied i plan to find a way to read the car's speed and stamp it on the video.

Here are some pictures of the install:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice and neat, just as we'd expect from you. Another thing to put on my 'things to do to the Q7' list.

Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have done a similar mod on a few friends cars with a mini DVR. The only thing i would recommend is you use a very good quality (industrial grade) SD card, as you will be over writing many times, and ive found that Camera SD cards are very poor at this.

Just out of interest what Mini DVR have you used?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found one on ebay, item no: 370452115015. Did not purchased it yet.
Not sure about the quality, and i am still looking for other options.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I left them where they were. when i did my facelift i kept the original front bumper, where the sensors are fitted in the bumper directly. Only in the 2010 model bumper the inner left and right sensors are fitted inside the front radiator grille.

Here is a picture of my Q7 before installing the camera. The parking sensors are in the red circles:

And here is a picture of the 2010 standard bumper with the parking sensors in red circles:

I used just the parking sensor mounting to fit the camera.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Neo - do you have the part numbers for retrofitting the front APS? I already have the rear, I just want to add the frunt.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which part numbers you need?
you know you have to swap the controller also with the 8 channel version.

I can put together the list for you, just tell me if you have the S-Line exterior package.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i connected the camera on the tv tuner aux input, i have tv tuner factory fitted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have installed a front camera to my Q7.
I used a parking sensor holder from the 2010 model that fits into front radiator grille, part.no 4L0 919 257 D T94.

The camera is a front facing 0.1 lux Sony single CCD mini camera which i bought for 99 Euro at a local security shop. Its powered at 12volts and has a composite video output.

The camera is water proof, fits perfectly in the sensor mounting and i secured it with silicon based glue which also seals it against water and moisture. So far i washed the car 10 times and i had to drive 100 km in heavy rain. The camera is water proof.

The video feed goes to the Hybrid Tv Tuner on Aux Input 1 in order to be displayed on the MMI screen.

My plan now is to fit a small single channel DVR which i found on ebay for 49 USD, capable to record a single channel at 30 fps on an 8GB SDCard with date and time stamp.

The DVR is powered at 12 volts and can be programmed to record at motion detection.

This way i will be able to record all my trips and have a video proof if i choose to contest a traffic ticket. To be fully satisfied i plan to find a way to read the car's speed and stamp it on the video.

Here are some pictures of the install:

Sorry I cannot see the pictures? I buy 4L0 919 257 D T94 but it is not the good size for my Q7 2008 Sline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts