Audi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the RNS-E unit in my car and it worked fine. So I put everything back together and tried to start the car, only to find that the electronic immobilizer has prevented me from starting the car. It is a B6 S4. I had to have it towed to the dealership.

My question is; is there something I did wrong to cause this to happen? I am going to install one in my girlfriends B7 A4 and don't want the same thing to happen.

TIA!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
No, this is definitely not normal and you are the first one who reports issues with the immobilizer after installing the RNS-E.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you turn on the ignition with the cluster unplugged then it will cause your immobilizer to foul up. If you did this, then your problem is explained. I always remove the keys from the ignition completely when I have the cluster out to prevent me or someone else from accidently turning the ignition on. It is easy to do by mistake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks NSX JR. That is exactly what I did. I will be sure to keep the keys far away from the ignition next time.

·
Registered
235 Posts
AtotheS,
What year is your car? I know with my 2000 A6, I drove it around without the cluster in for a few hours while I was trying to get some right parts from the audi dealerships.
Maybe my car isn't new enough to have this feature though :(
I did get a check engine light though which the dealership just said it was something to do with my ECM. They reset it and it never came back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
darn! Was hoping I had that cool sounding feature! I went to the audi dealership, but they didn't have any 05's used :( Aparently in Milwaukee area, no one gets rid of their newer Audis. Silly people!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2004 S4...

Update: They are having to replace the entire Speedo! I would highly recommend keeping the keys away from the ignition when playing with the instrument cluster!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Can I ask why you went into the cluster? don't the B6 models have all the can wires going into the back of the radio?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
TDiAvant said:
Can I ask why you went into the cluster?
Many people fit the GPS antenna behind the cluster.

I don't see that it's necessary - I get 5-7 satellites with my GPS antenna on the under surface of the dash above the glovebox ... and there's no risk of messing up the immobiliser settings!!!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can actually put the gps antenna behind the cluster without unplugging it. Just pull the cluster out a bit and rotate it off to the side. This gives plenty of room to stash the GPS antenna back there then refit the cluster without unplugging it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like NSX said, it is not necessary to remove the cluster wiring, but I did to give myself a bit more room to get behind there.

·
Registered
819 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Many people fit the GPS antenna behind the cluster.

I don't see that it's necessary - I get 5-7 satellites with my GPS antenna on the under surface of the dash above the glovebox ... and there's no risk of messing up the immobiliser settings!!!
I also fit the GPS antenna behind the glovebox, makes the installation safer and easier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts