Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is summary of all my previous posts and tests of this setup.
Main reason why I even started this project was lack of volume button on my steering wheel for my RNS-E Navigation. Noe that my previous setup included regular steering wheel without any extra functionality.

Full working functionality after install in B6:
:arrow: Volume
:arrow: Radio station selection
:arrow: MP3 player track selection
:arrow: Navigation: guide voice volume
:arrow: Navigation: repeat info about next turn

Final view of B7 wheel installed in my B6

...but lets start from the beginning ;)

Tools and parts you will need for this installation:
:arrow: Torx T8 screwdriver - long
:arrow: Torx T27 screwdriver
:arrow: Torx socket T55
:arrow: B7 Multifunction Steering Wheel
:arrow: B7 airbag
:arrow: Control module - P/N 8E0 953 549 R
:arrow: S/C Ring * - P/N 4E0 953 541 B
:arrow: Airbag Wiring Harness * (4F0 971 589 A)

* If you are goinfg to install B7 S/C ring you don't need to cutomize your airbag harness. If you'll work with B6 S/C ring, your harness need to be modified.

Usually airbag is coming with airbag harness.
This is picture of B7 airbah with harness:

Airbag harness modification
[table color=black:819c8db32d][mrow:819c8db32d]WARNING: Whatever you do with your airbags, proceed at your own risk.[/table:819c8db32d]

As you know all new Audis included B7 use Dual stage airbags. Unfortunately B6 has only one-stage airbag so I modified 1 stage harness to allow sending signal to 2 stage airbag. Usually B7 Audi will activate 1 airbag compartment for minor accident or full airbag for stronger hit. With modified harness only full deply could be allowed because there is no control for dual stage in B6 car. Of course I didn't attempt driving into brick wall to test it but ECU is fine with that connection and doesn't show any errors so I will assume that it is working :D

This is PIN layout for B6 airbag harness connector

This is PIN layout for B7 airbag harness connector

Whole trick is to connect wire 1 from GREEN conector with wire 1 from ORANGE and wire 2 from GREEN with wire 2 from ORANGE. Thi sway once signal is sent to airbag it will hit 2 connectors in the same time.

Replacing S/C ring and/or control module

Before you start disassembling your steering wheel column, connect VAG tool and read your ABS module codes (03-ABS Brakes). Once new module will be in you will need to recode new module with your car values.

Below is the picture of S/C ring and Steering control module in the back

[/img]

Of course first you will need to remove your steering wheel:

(by foofighter from AZ)

First step is to park the car w/ the horizontal "bar" of the steering wheel pointing at 1 and 7 o'clock. Turn off engine and lock the steering wheel in place.

[table color=black:819c8db32d][mrow:819c8db32d]Now go to the battery and disconnect the negative terminal, this is very important as you don't want this airbag going off on you.[/table:819c8db32d]

Next locate the two holes on the back side of the steering wheel…there is where the torx screw is located. Undo the screw from the steering wheel and this will release the airbag module from the steering wheel.

You'll see that the airbag module is connected by a purple and yellow colored connector. The Yellow plastic piece is the locking mechanism that's keeping the connector in place. Pull the yellow locking cap out and that should free up the connector for removal. Remove airbag module and place in a static free area.

Now the fun part…removal of the steering wheel. Purchase a Torx socket T55 and place it in the center of the steering wheel. This will take some muscles as it's thread locked in place. Don't use too long of a socket wrench as this could hit your windshield. Unscrew the screw cap and remove.

Make your best guess as to where the Top Dead Center of the steering wheel spline is as you'll need to know this to install your new steering wheel on without it being crooked.

Installation is reverse, reconnect the harness to the back of the airbag module. Align the module w/ the two holes from the backside and reattach torx screw

Connect the negative battery terminal and start up the car…
You'll also notice that your EPC light will be on, that is normal as you drive around it'll turn itself off.

Before you try to take out S/C ring be sure that all locking tabs and screws are taken out. It is plastic so it is easy to brake if you push hard.

Once S/C ring is out you need to inspect your control module (looks like printer cartridge :D) and locate all screws and locking tabs. It is not easy to take it out because you need to move all those plastic covers aside.

Once newmodule is plugged in you can start to assemble whole steering wheel column.

My ABS and ESP light are on - What happened? :shock:

Don't worry, every time control module is disconnected, soft coding is set back to 00000. Thi sis causing error display. Once codes are corrected your errors will be gone.

This is short guide by Dunk and Lee about coding your ABS module.
To be honest, when I was at the dealer for some parts, I asked them to program thi smodule for me and they did it free of charge. So if you will have any problems, don't have VAG tool around or you just simply lazy..... this could be good option ;)

if you replace the steering slip ring, which also contains the steering angle sensor for esp, then you will need to recalibrate/zero the new slip ring as well as recode the abs module. same thing happens if you power up the ignition with the existing slip ring disconnected.

this also loses the soft coding of the abs controller as well which in turn disables both the abs and the esp.....which is where i found myself.

you cant recalibrate the slipring unless you recode the abs controller first with the ignition still on, and both the abs coding and slip ring calibration can only be done if you use specific login codes (different for each operation) with vagcom

the abs coding depends on the engine, gearbox and brake calipers and the vagcom login code depends on the soft coding of the abs module...

ESP, Electronic-Stability-Program Bosch 5.3
Encoding control unit
After installation of a new control unit -J104 or a new steering angle sensor -G85 the ESP system must be encoded again. After encoding the steering angle sensor compensation must be performed.
Encoding of ESP control unit is designed to adapt the control unit to the vehicle.
Zero position compensation must then be performed for steering angle sender -G85.
Coding is only possible after the workshop code (WSC) has been entered into V.A.G 1551.
Note:
If control unit has been encoded with code 00000 or with a code not appropriate to the vehicle the ABS warning lamp (K47) and the TCS/ESP warning lamp (K86) will light up continuously and the fault 01044-Control unit incorrectly codedwill be stored in the fault memory of the control unit.
The brake caliper type must be determined in order to perform the login procedure and the encoding (see illustrations below).

Type of engine Gearbox version Brake caliper type (front) Login code
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 09675
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09575
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 09677
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09577
6 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09595
6 cylinder turbo engine Manual gearbox FN 2/ HP2 double piston brake caliper 09495
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09597
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox HP2 double piston brake caliper 09497
4-cylinder diesel engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 09655
4/6 cyl diesel engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09555
4-cylinder diesel engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 09677
4/6 cyl diesel engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 09557

ESP coding table
Type of engine Gearbox version Brake caliper type (front) Coding
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 04175
4 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04275
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 04177
4 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04277
6 cyl. petrol engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04295
6 cylinder turbo engine Manual gearbox FN 2/ HP2 double piston brake caliper 04395
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04297
6 cyl. petrol engine Automatic gearbox HP2 double piston brake caliper 04397
4-cylinder diesel engine Manual gearbox C54 Lucas 04155
4/6 cyl diesel engine Manual gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04255
4-cylinder diesel engine Automatic gearbox C54 Lucas 04177
4/6 cyl diesel engine Automatic gearbox FN3 Teves/ATE 04257

ESP, Electronic-Stability-Program Bosch 5.3
Steering angle sender -G85 zero position compensation
• ‒ Zero position compensation with the steering angle sender G-85 must now be performed.
• ‒ To initialise steering angle sender, turn steering wheel at least 10 degrees in any direction
• ‒ Move steering to zero position. Maximum tolerance ± 5 degrees
Note:
The diagnosis must not be terminated nor the ignition switched off between the procedures "Encoding control unit" and "Steering angle sensor compensation". Otherwise the entire process would have to be repeated.

still in abs module after doing the above,
login with code number 40168
04 basic settings
001 go (this may have automatically gone in if you pressed the up arrow key by the channel selector)
so the message should say Steer. angle sender compens. OK

in summary, after doing the module soft coding with the correct login, you make the appropriate steering wheel movements as above then you relogin using the number 40168 and trigger the steering zero calibration
through basic settings channel 1
Now you are pretty much done so it is time to explain your...
B7 steering wheel functionality

[table:819c8db32d]
[mrow color=#063E7C:819c8db32d]Key / Roller[mcol:819c8db32d]Action[mcol:819c8db32d]Function
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]1[col:819c8db32d]Press[col:819c8db32d]Switch between standard view and telephone
[mrow color=#D9DCEC:819c8db32d]3/7[col:819c8db32d]Press / Roll upward[col:819c8db32d]Previous station / title
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]3[col:819c8db32d]Press & Hold[col:819c8db32d]Previous track (CD & MP3) / Back (Phonebook)
[mrow color=#D9DCEC:819c8db32d]7[col:819c8db32d]Left menu roller - press once/twice [col:819c8db32d]Start / Stop radio tuning
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]7[col:819c8db32d]Left menu roller - select & press[col:819c8db32d]Accept / Ignore TEL conection
[mrow color=#D9DCEC:819c8db32d]7[col:819c8db32d]Left menu roller - press & hold[col:819c8db32d]Fast Forward (CD and MP3)
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]2/7[col:819c8db32d]Press / Roll downward[col:819c8db32d]Next station / title
[mrow color=#D9DCEC:819c8db32d]2[col:819c8db32d]Press & Hold[col:819c8db32d]Next track (CD & MP3) / Next (Phonebook)
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]4/9[col:819c8db32d]Press / Roll upward[col:819c8db32d]Raise volume
[mrow color=#D9DCEC:819c8db32d]5/9[col:819c8db32d]Press / Roll downward[col:819c8db32d]Decrease volume
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]9[col:819c8db32d]Right menu roller - press[col:819c8db32d]Announcement of the current drive navigation recommendation
[mrow color=#D9DCEC:819c8db32d]6[col:819c8db32d]Press (wheel A)[col:819c8db32d]Voive comand activate / deactivate ; accept / ignore TEL connection
[mrow color=#BAC1DA:819c8db32d]8[col:819c8db32d]Press (wheel B)[col:819c8db32d]Voive comand activate / deactivate
[/table:819c8db32d]

There is more optional things you can do with your B7 steering wheel like:

:arrow: Retrofitting padle shifters
:arrow: Multimedia control module for Bluetooth Parrot CK EVOLUTION
:arrow: Enabling SDS functionality for TEL system
:arrow: Enabling SDS functionality for Navigation (still in testing stage)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Great job! I plan on switching my 6 button MFSW for the same one you have but I want/need it to say "S4" at the bottom of the wheel. If you have any connections for the wheel I want let me know.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Proxus, I have a 2005 B6 S4 that already has the 6 button MFSW.

What all will I need to get this installed in my car? From my understanding your B6 did not come with a MFSW and thats why you had to go through more steps, correct?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In this case you will need to get proper airbag harness and S/C ring (if you don't want to modify your harness). The rest of you will be plug and play because if you don't disconnect your control module and S/C ring there will be no coding necessary.

My setup was the worst case scenario going from non multifunction 1 stage to multifunction dual-stage

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
todd1010 said:
Great job! I plan on switching my 6 button MFSW for the same one you have but I want/need it to say "S4" at the bottom of the wheel. If you have any connections for the wheel I want let me know.
You should be able to find it. I will ask my supplier about S4 version.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That's the exact wheel I want!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, Yeah!!! Can't wait. I've been looking for quite a while. I can't believe I don't have one yet. Everyone I get in contact with checks on it but I never hear back from them.

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The MFSW is great for it's functionality but I really don't like how Audi decreased the aggressivness of the design.

Compared to my '02, they made the wheel overall skinnier and the grips at 10 and 2 are virtually non-existant...kind of dissapointing.

Now the RS4 wheel is a whole other story... :D

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, this wheel is nice but $$$$$ I was also confused about multifunction functionality because RS4 has special performance related commands enabled by this MFSW.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i think there's quite a few of us waiting for that MKII TT MFSW to be listed in the part catalogue... :wink:

·
Registered
737 Posts
PROXUS said:
todd1010 said:
You should be able to find it. I will ask my supplier about S4 version.

Hey Proxus, does $680 for the steering wheel and about the $680 for the airbag sound about what these wheels and airbag go for? I had someone email me that said they could get what I needed and that was their price. It sounds a bit high to me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Those are decent prices if the parts are new... the wheel will be about $780 and the airbag will be about $850-$900 from the dealer.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes but be aware that none of those buttons is working with radio or NAV

The "S" button is for an exhaust flapper that allows a little less backpressure and makes the exhaust throatier.

The set button allows seat memory for multiple drivers, the up and down allow you to toggle through basic functions.

It is not designed for multimedia.

·
Registered
249 Posts
hey Alex can you put the pics back up? they also seem to have disappeared...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.