Audi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I attempted to install my RNSe unit in my B5 S4 yesterday....I got one of Ted's harnesses and got everything installed but was left w/ a few problems. Some of which I found others had and solved, other problems I did not see solutions to...here are my problems/issues:

1) I had wires in pin 5 and pin 6 already behind my cluster. I ran the CAN-H and CAN-L wires from the harness up and as instructed from 'mjtaylor's B5 S4 install instructions I tried to put those wires into empty pin slots. I then inserted the CAN-H and CAN-L wires into pins 5 & 6. (yes, checked H was in the correct slot...5 I think) I then hooked everything up and no CAN signal (no button lights, unit does not turn off when car is off, unit turns itself off after 30 min, etc.)

So I tried switching the CAN-H and CAN-L wires just in case I had them in backwards...same problem.

So then I tried taking the wires that were previuosly in pin 5 and pin 6 and instead of putting them in empty slots I just left them out all together. Same problem.

At this point I realized I had another problem....the Fuel Level guage (and miles till empty display) did not work....

This is my first question - Where do the wires that were in pin 5 and pin 6 need to go? And what is causing my fuel level guage not to work? When I hook the VAG up to it gave me this code:

Fuel level sensor -G open/short circut to B+

I was at my buddy's shop doing the install and he was helpping me out, but had never installed one of these units.. He tried to put the wires that were originally in pin 5 back into pin 5 ALONG WITH the CAN wire from the RNSE. This made the Fuel Level Sensor code go away on the VAG and the fuel guage "seemed" to work.

The guage is not reading properly and sometimes when I start the car it does not recognize right way...then all of a sudden it works...or it seems to...not convinced its accurate.

So.....what do I do to fix this?!

2) Second problem is that the FM radio can't pick up any signals....so I searched and want to confirm that my assumption is correct and I have the wrong antenna? Is that the only thing that could be? or could it be something else?

3) Finally...and possibly related to above problems....when I followed the VAG set up instructions from 'mjtaylor's write up and set the Instrument (17) Adaption (10) in Channel 62 to "5"....it continues to give me the following codes:

Control modlue for nav. W/ cd)-J401 no communication

also one about No Radio (sorry did not write that one down...but it was short and basically said no radio communication)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping all of these problems are related and it will be an easy fix, or possibly just a VAG programming fix!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If channel 62 in #17 was set to 0, CAN would not be active and the symptons on the RNS-E would be similar to what you saw. You need to code a value of 5 in #17 channel 62 first to make the cluster send the proper CAN messages. I don't have the wirking plan for a B5 but I think the fuel gauge issue is unrelated, at least if you used pin 5/6 in the grey connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, when I was doing the install my code was set to 0 so I changed it to 5...these problems exist after doing that.

BUT....in your comment you said it should be pin 5 and pin 6 in the Grey connector. This might be my problem... When I was doing my install I was using 2 sets of instructions, 'mjtaylor's and the long pdf version on 'nsxjr's site ( http://www.nsxjr.com/ted/TED_RNS_E.pdf ).

For some reason when I started connecting the CAN-H & L wires to the guage cluster connectors I used the pdf write up (not 'mjtaylor's) and it says that for the Symphony II units use the Blue connector. Needless to say, I think thats my problem! I hooked my CAN-H & L into the BLUE connector instead of the Grey....wow, I feel stupid now...

This means that I most likely disconnected the fuel guage from pin 5 & 6 in the Blue connectors!

I also tapped pin 3 in the Blue connector for the GALA...but am I correct to assume that was not right either and I shoudl move that wire tap to pin 3 of the Grey connector?

The odd thing is that the wire in Pin 3 of the Blue connector was white/blue as described in the write up....

What kind of problems or errors should I have if the GALA is not connected correctly? B/c i thought the nav display was working properly..

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The GALA wire does get tapped into the blue connector, but you don't even need to do that because you have a GALA wire available behind your headunit in a B5 S4 at Connector III, pin 1. I would think Ted already wired your harness to take advantage of this GALA connection.

The CAN wires do connect to the grey connector. Perhaps you should have downloaded my install guide also from my website .. "Symphony I to RNS-E install guide". It clearly describes the grey connector. Ted's guide is very good, but it describes starting from both sym1 and sym2 and can be confusing due to the dual purpose text.

Any guide that describes installing from a symphony II environment won't apply to your B5 since you had the symphony I radio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NSXJR - you are absolutly correct...I should have followed the direction for the symphony I, not II....BIG mistake on my part...was rushing a bit and then overlooked that part when I was trouble shooting....

I will be re-routing the CAN-H & L wires to the Grey connector tonight or tomorrow and hopefully I'll be all set.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate the fact you check this forum on a regular basis.

·
Registered
996 Posts
yup...you put the pins in the wrong location behind the cluster and the gala doesn't need to be tapped behind the cluster. I'm glad you found the route cause of all of these problems. I also checked the spreadsheet that I sent you and there is a section in the bottom "additional notes" that outlines off of this stuff.

Talk to you soon.
-ted
:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ted - thanks. Apparently I rushed things a bit and made a mistake....will fix and have this thing working properly in no time!

Thanks for all the help guys!

KP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got the CAN-H & L wires into the correct loction in the grey connector behind the cluster. I had to get the fuel guage working again b/c those wires were in the blue connector. Now the fuel gauge seems to be working properly and I have all the functions in the DIS and the unit turns off with the car and illuminates with the headlights on. All seems well.

But..I had the CEL come on when the fuel guage was not wroking....so I went to my shop and had them connect the VAG and clear it out. The fuel code cleared out no problem....but now I have this:

01311 - Information Data Bus
Single Wire Operation

I read this previous post:
http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2051&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=01311

and that was the closest thing I could find to someone else having this code.

Is this a wiring problem? or is this becasue the VAG soft coding for the nav & radio is not correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Single wire operation indicates that one of the twi CAN wires is not connected properly. Most of the stuff will work but some time cirtical messages may not get through when the CAN bus is in single wire mode. Check both wires again and make sur ethat they are properly connected on both ends.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I checked the wires behind the cluster and they are firmly in the correct pin slots.

Is there a reason why this fault code would come up now when it did not come up before? That is, previously the Fuel Guage was not properly wired and it was giving me a Fuel Sensor code (that would not clear out b/c it was not grounded properly) but it was not giving me this Information Data Bus code. Now that the Fue Sensor code is gone I'm getting the Information Data Bus (single wire operation) code...

Would it make a difference if the CAN-H & L wires were reversed? (ie. in the wrong pin slots...6 and 5 instead of 5 and 6 respectively)

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
All I can say is that if both wires are disconnected it should say open or short to ground. If the CAN is in single wire mode, one of the two wires is connected and the other isn't.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
re-check the connections behind the headunit. If your cluster wires are correct, then the problem must be elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
valim32ro said:
who can help me connect a rns-e with a lear lak 00103 at audi pls help at audi ??
How is this related to this topic and what is a lear lak 00103?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.