Audi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I attempted to install my RNS-E and Parrot CK3000 Evolution BT kit in my '02 S6 Avant.

The install for both went pretty smoothly: I checked all the wires in my PnP harness before beginning, and I fixed some minor issues: the V-signal, reverse wire and alarm ground were all missing, so I added those to the harness.

I plugged everything in, reconnected the battery, turned the key to ACC and turned on the RNS-E. It prompted me for the security code, which I entered and it accepted, so far so good. It started up in radio mode, but I was getting no sound. I put in a CD, still no sound. No problem I thought, my car has BOSE and I have not yet recoded the RNS-E, so it's probably trying to output via the non-existent speaker harness. I turned off the ignition, but the RNS-E remained on. I was able to turn the RNS-E on and off several times with the key out over the next 10 mins.

I let the car sit for about an hour, then returned and drove it around the driveway a bit to see if there were any rattles after reassembly.

Here's where the problem starts: I cannot turn on the RNS-E; car running or not, it just won't power up.

Here are some possible issues I've thought of:

-The alarm ground pin I added did not fit well and might have come loose while jostling the RNS-E into the dash.
- RNS-E has not been soft coded
- BOSE pin from RNS-E is connected directly to ground, as opposed to the Sym II pin from the car
- I did not ground any pin related to CD chager, as I don't have one, and counldn't figure out if I was supposed to ground from the RNS-E or the car.

So could any of these issues cause the RNS-E to just up and quit? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If it won't power up at all at any time, I would check a fuse on the back of the unit, and fuse 37 in your fusebox, then check your main power and ground wires for good connection. None of the other wiring connections should prevent the RNS-E from at least powering up whether the ignition is on or off...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the fuses were definitely on my list to look at.

How do I know if I've seated the quadlock in the RNS-E properly? It was very hard to get mine to seat properly, and I'm still not sure that I did. There is a lever with some tabs, and I pressed the tabs to pull the lever out a bit, thinking that it would snap down into place like the cluster connectors, but it didn't see to do anything...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
To seat the quad-lock connector, you have to swing out the arm as far as it will go... only about 45 degrees. Then place the connector to the rear of the RNS-E and push in as far as you can, the arm will catch and begin to swing in by itself. Then simply continue to rotate the arm down all the way until it SNAPS CLOSED. Only by doing this can you ensure that it is fully seated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi guys (Hi Karl),

Karl bought this unit from me. I'm pretty sure the Bose Harness is in good shape. It's directly from Kufatec, so I can't really imagine there's something wrong with the pin or cable layout.

Karl, did you try to reset your unit (SETUP AND RADIO button the same time). The soft coding is not necessary for your RNS to operate. The device and Sound have to work also with wrong coding.

Did you change the pin layout of the adapter? Did you connect the V-signal the right way? maybe here's the problem..

The unit is okay.. I tested it; so it has to with something else. All together we have enough experience to solve the problem!

take care,
tony

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went out at lunch to check the fuses. The main fuse was OK, so I pulled the head unit out to check its fuse and lo and behold the quadlock had become dislodged from the RNS-E. :oops:

So I figured I'd pull the PnP adapter out and latch the quadlock into the RNS-E first then connect the car ends together. While pulling apart the molex connector I added for the speed and reverse signals, I pulled too hard and popped one of the wires out of my connector :roll:

Soooo, looks like all is well, I just need to re-crimp my molex connector and make sure the quadlock is really seated.

Tony, thanks for chiming in, I hope you're not offended I posted here first before contacting you. I posted originally from my parent's house where I didn't have access to my email address book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts