Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i would like to install a rns-e unit in my a3 8L (2001), my first question, is which rns-e unit is compatible for me (even if i need to adjust the front side), i've heard something with gala information wich need to be separate from the bus can to be able to install it correctly on a a3 8l (but i don't know if ihave understood everything ;-)).
i would appreciate greatly your help !

thanks !!!

sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm french ;-)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you have a double DIN radio?

You will need a A4 RNS-E and use VAG.com to code it as an A6. You will need to trim it down a bit to get it to fit. You need to tap into the CAN behind the cluster but no worries with gala as it's in the harness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i have a concert 1 radio (1din) so i know i'll have to change the console.
but is it possible to get a rns-e from a6 directly (as i don't have a vag-com).
Do you have explanations (and pictures) to get the CAN behind the cluster ? and what do you mean by gala is in the harness ? (i read that one specification of rns-e for a4 is that the gala signal is in the CAN bus, true ?).
do i need a can emulator ??

thank you for your answer !

·
Registered
59 Posts
You will need VAG to code instruments #17 channel 62 to 5.

You can use an A6 unit but the gap is bigger. http://www.pbase.com/steve1975l/my_audi_s3

Gala is in your radio harness.

You don't need a CAN emulator
Lower steering wheel
Pull trim towards you
Undo 2 big philips screws and slide cluster towards you
Tap into Pin 5 high & Pin 6 low of the middle connector

I don't have any photo's as I didn't have my camera with me at the time of fitting. I am doing another install for a friend in the next couple of weeks so I can take some pics then.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
red59 said:
no i have a concert 1 radio (1din) so i know i'll have to change the console.
but is it possible to get a rns-e from a6 directly (as i don't have a vag-com).
Do you have explanations (and pictures) to get the CAN behind the cluster ? and what do you mean by gala is in the harness ? (i read that one specification of rns-e for a4 is that the gala signal is in the CAN bus, true ?).
do i need a can emulator ??

thank you for your answer !
The faceplate of the A6 versions of the RNS-E is a different size and shape so it will leave gaps. That's why the A4 version (trimmed down to fit) is better.

Since the 8L A3 CAN bus doesn't have the GALA (speed) signal in a form that the RNS-E can decode you need to code the RNS-E for an A6 which makes it use a separate GALA signal - which is already on a wire connected to your existing radio.

You won't need a CAN emulator because you have to connect the RNS-E to the actual CAN signals in your car - from behind the instruments. You will need this to make the RNS-E switch on/off with ignition (or key removal depending on if you are in the US or Europe), and to make the illumination of the buttons and display work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for your answers, but i've read that a4 units can't accept gala signal otherwise than with can, so it's not true, all a4 rns-e unit can be transformed to accept gala signa ?

richardi734, it will be great if you could send me the pictures when installing the rns-e (mainly for catching can signal from instruments)

·
Registered
59 Posts
red59 said:
thank you for your answers, but i've read that a4 units can't accept gala signal otherwise than with can, so it's not true, all a4 rns-e unit can be transformed to accept gala signa ?

richardi734, it will be great if you could send me the pictures when installing the rns-e (mainly for catching can signal from instruments)
Get a A4 unit and code it as an A6 to accept gala on pin.

Will do.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
red59 said:
even if my car is not equiped with onboard computer ? (i don't know if it's clear).
Yes, even if it's not equipped with an onboard computer - because you've still got a red display panel between the speedometer and the rev counter - right? (At least the 8L S3 I used to own did.)

That's where the nav instructions will appear.

Actually saying the value is 5 is not strictly correct - what you should do is convert the existing value to binary and if bit 2 (starting at zero) isn't set then add 4, if it is set then do nothing. In most cases that translates to "add 4 to the existing value".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for this information about the Gala !! :D

Do you have any picture in an A3 or S3 8L (the old one) with an A4 RNS-E Faceplate ?

Is there a gap on the top, botton, right or left and if yes what size ?

Thanks again !

Tom-S3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

2 more questions please :

#-o 1- There is 2 sort of A4 RNS-E : Before / After 2002, witch one must i buy for an S3 8L (the one with the best faceplate).

#-o 2- Can you please give me the size of an A4 RNS-E (height & width) <= I really need this !

Thanks !

Tom-S3

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is no RNS-E from before 2002, the RNS-E got first introduced in 2004.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I do not think it will matter, I'll be trying this upgrade hopefully next week and will post my results here.

Steve

Tom-S3 said:
Ok, you are right !

Si do i need to take a RNS-E A4 B6 or B7 ?

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
PetrolDave said:
red59 said:
Actually saying the value is 5 is not strictly correct - what you should do is convert the existing value to binary and if bit 2 (starting at zero) isn't set then add 4, if it is set then do nothing. In most cases that translates to "add 4 to the existing value".
The instruments #17 channel 62.
Setting what?
I can not find from the http://en.openobd.org/audi/a4_8e.htm#17.
Thx.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
audigogo said:
PetrolDave said:
red59 said:
The instruments #17 channel 62.
Setting what?
I can not find from the http://en.openobd.org/audi/a4_8e.htm#17.
Thx.
Setting the DIS to display the navigation instructions.

You need to look at the German version of the OpenOBD website - the English pages have very little information, look here.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts