Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
It seems as though the dvd I have for my RNS-E is no good. It was a back up DVD verbatim and the RNS-E cannot read it anymore. From what I hear, I will not be able to run the new 2007 DVD because my SW version is X---. What DVD can I run w/ the SW version that I have? IS there a simple way to upgrade my version to read the new 2007 DVDs? I bought my RNS-E last Spring from Proxus. Someone please help me out here. I don't mind running the 2006 DVD, just as long as it can be read by my RNS-E. Help...

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
i think, and someone correct me if im wrong, that if you have the old software installed, you can still read the 2007 dvd maps but just wont get the new features such as 3d map view... you should be ok with the torrent download... if you cant wait though, make a direct copy of the disc you have now (the computer should be able to read it better than the rns.. and make sure to follow the procedures such as setting the book type, etc...)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I emailed you link with update disks.
Burn those ISOs to CDs let me know if step 1 CD will update.

If not ....you will need VAG tool

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I just simply install the burned cd into the RNS-E and it will update itself? I don't have to find a menu within the rns-e under "set-up" or something? What kind of cd do I need to burn it on? Let me know. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do I need to be in NAV screen, where it says "cannot read disk" or do I just simply insert the cd into the slot w/ the radio screen on? Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I downloaded the version upgrade and copied it to a CD-R. When should I insert the cd to see if it will work w/ my rns-e? Should I activate the nav and wait for it to ask for the dvd, or do I just put the cd in and the rns-e will automatically read it? Let me know. One question for Proxus: if this cd works w/ my rns-e, is there another one that I'll have to burn and upload to the rns-e, or is this the only one? I hope this works because I don't know anyone w/ a VAG that will help me out. Thanks guys. Let me know...

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
or do I just put the cd in and the rns-e will automatically read it?
yes: that's the way, doesn't matter which screen you are, but best way is to be in the NAV screen, to see the info of what the DVD player is doing: reading disc Can take some while), and if it's ok: a progress bar with 'updating software'

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
mpingree said:
Well, I downloaded the version upgrade and copied it to a CD-R. When should I insert the cd to see if it will work w/ my rns-e? Should I activate the nav and wait for it to ask for the dvd, or do I just put the cd in and the rns-e will automatically read it? Let me know. One question for Proxus: if this cd works w/ my rns-e, is there another one that I'll have to burn and upload to the rns-e, or is this the only one? I hope this works because I don't know anyone w/ a VAG that will help me out. Thanks guys. Let me know...

Mike
if this doesn't work you will need to use VAG.
It is works you need to check which version will be shown when CAR putton is pressed.

I suspect that VAG will be necessary to allow software update.
Previous update was changing value of chanel 97 to 0 and you need to set 1

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point, [email protected] I'm CT but am willing to travel anywhere in the Northeast. Seeing you have dartmouth in your screen name, are you in MA? I'm willing to pay to have this done. Let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also had sw x---, I had the 2004 dvd, then I tried to burn the 2006 torrent, it did not read the maps, but it did read the update. So I had sw 460, and now it updated again to 550. I did not have to do anything with the vag.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah, have you tried the update, what is the result? after that it is gone... no vag-com (i have euro unit.... not an us one...)

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
updating an EU unit with X-- with a higher EU DVD for use in the EU with EU SW is indeed possible without VAG COM.

For an earlier converted EU -> US unit with X-- it's not for almost 99 out of 100 times: you will need to use VAG COM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.