Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a RNS-E 8E0 035 192 D in my B6 with Bose sound, i notice there is a low humming sound coming from the navi unit, you can cover it up with volume, but i want to know why's it doing that? wrong connection? I bought the unit on e-bay with all connector, radio removal tool, GPS antenna and antenna adopter, but the connector has 4 set of plugs and also the antenna adopter doesn't have a place for the diversity antenna to plug in. I understand i need VAG-COM to reconfigure the unit, what do i tell the dealership i need done? I know this is a bit long, i'm new to this forum. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Does the humming increase with vehicle rev speed? If so, it could a grounding issue.

In terms of the antenna adaptor, there is 2 types (one with diversity, one without). Are you saying your car has a diversity antenna but your adaptor doesn't?

In terms of the VAGCOM coding, aside from Bose what accessories do you have (ie CD changer, phone, satellite radio etc)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the humming doesn't increase speed, it's just low humming like with the hiss in standby mode, it stops with the emergency signal.

I don't have any accessories (ie CD changer, phone, satellite radio etc).
at least not yet, i plan on a glove box changer sometime in the future.

Yes, i have diversity antenna but the adaptor doesn't, however the radio works fine with great reception.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
So the humming is coming from the RNS-E itself, not from the speakers?

That sounds like the cooling fan on the back of the RNS-E. Is the temperature hot where you are?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
A4Dan said:
No, the humming doesn't increase speed, it's just low humming like with the hiss in standby mode, it stops with the emergency signal.

I don't have any accessories (ie CD changer, phone, satellite radio etc).
at least not yet, i plan on a glove box changer sometime in the future.

Yes, i have diversity antenna but the adaptor doesn't, however the radio works fine with great reception.

Thanks.
this sounds more like wiring problem. It could be ISO2 RNS-E adapter. Maybe some wire loose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool weather here

Not hot at all, at least not now, i'm in San Francisco near the coast.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Pop the RNS-E out using the radio removal keys, turn it on and look at the fan on the rear. Is it running? Is that the humming you hear?

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK, I just received my unit today, and decided to take it step by step, so just the basics - radio/satnav/mp3. Everything was plug & plug with the Kufatec adapters.

The adapter I selected was Bose/hands free/CD changer/small BNS navi=no/type of car=A48E/radio symphonyII.

Everything sprung into life with the radio playing, so I recoded control module 37 to 030111 (as I don't yet have BT or CD changer installed).

As soon as I hit the Nav button to set this up, I noticed the low hum. When I turn the ignition there is a crackling noise, and if I start the engine I also get a whining noise which increases with the engine revs.

The fan at the back of the unit is running but that's quieter then my laptop fan and wouldn't be noticeable once the unit is pushed into place. The noise is definitely coming from the speakers.

Any ideas please?

·
Registered
74 Posts
In anticipation of suggestions, although Kufatec seem to be a totally competent and reliable outfit, I am in the process of checking the wiring harness adapter supplied, just in case.

Whilst looking at the quadlock connector, a dumb question occured to me : should the blue plastic pieces, shown below, be removed before connecting?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
As soon as I hit the Nav button to set this up, I noticed the low hum. When I turn the ignition there is a crackling noise, and if I start the engine I also get a whining noise which increases with the engine revs.
Sounds like you've got a ground loop which is causing alternator whine. This usually only happens with OE radio and amps when a ground connection is missing.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Whilst looking at the quadlock connector, a dumb question occured to me : should the blue plastic pieces, shown below, be removed before connecting?

Nope, they prevent the terminals from being pulled out when you unplug the connector so they're a "must have".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Dave.

This usually only happens with OE radio and amps when a ground connection is missing.
The thing is the existing head unit (Symphony II) is as crisp as a bell, no hum, crackle, buzz, hiss, nothing. I would conclude from this that the fault must either lie in the wiring harness/adapter or the unit itself?

I've now checked the wiring of the adapter and all connections follow NSXJR's Symphony II to RNS-E PNP Harness Wiring Chart (Downloads - NSX JR's Audi Electronics).

Does the unit take its grounding from the power connector III (pin 8 to D12)? This connection is sound and D12 is also spliced into 2 other wires (one to the Bose pin, B7, and one to connector I, pin 10).

Sounds like you've got a ground loop which is causing alternator whine.
The hum is there as soon as the unit is switched on, only crackles when the key is turned, and then the whine when the engine is started. I've had some 'pops' too, if that gives any clues.

Is there a way of testing for a ground loop? What exactly does that mean?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm going to have another go at this today.

Having re-read all the relevant posts on anything remotely similar, it seems that I need to recode to 0309111 as 9 is BOSE sound system - so I need to ignore 1 = Audi A4 (8E) and use 9 instead - is that correct? One of the posters said get the Bose coding right and all your nasty sounds will go away. On this point, do I also need to set adaptation channel 8 to 255? I seem to remember one of Dave's posts saying that there was a change in the GALA Bose system around MY2003 - my car is a 53 plate B6.

Although I've checked that the Kufatec harness is correctly wired (as above), is there any danger that I could do some damage, by plugging everything back in, if something actually is wrong?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought it from a relaible source - Kufatec.

So before I do that, I just want to check out the discrepancies that I found on a closer examination of the wiring harness. The "discrepancies" are the result of comparing the Kufatec harness with NSXJR's Symphony II to RNS-E PNP Harness Wiring Chart (link above), and are as follows :-

1. B7 (Bose Pin) should be connected to pin 1 of the Symphony III connector, whereas it is actually connected to D12 (Kl.31, main ground).

2. Pin 10 of the Symphony I connector (CD ground) should be connected to "ground in convenient location". It is actually also connected to D12.

3. D14 should be connected to Pin 2 of the Symphony III connector (DWA ground). There is no connection to either of these pins.

So I actually have 3 wires connected into D12 main ground - B7 (Bose pin), Symphony I connector pin 10 (CD ground), and Symphony III connector pin 8 (the only one which is actually documented that it should be).

Dave has suggested that it is a 'ground loop' issue, and sure enough every discrepancy that I've found relates to ground connections. Do I need to move some connections around, and if so which ones?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Problem solved!

Success!! :D

Having scratched my head for a bit longer, I reached the conclusion that it was either something to do with the "wiring discrepancies" outlined above or possibly a faulty unit. As I was examining it (exactly what I was looking for I have no idea!), I noticed that 2 pins were very slightly bent (B1 and B7).

After carefully straightening them (they can't have engaged with the connector before), plugged everything back in and BINGO! the humming, crackling, and whining have all gone. Happy days :)

The coding I used (0309111) seems to work fine. My only query is whether adaptation channel 8 should be set to 255? (I have Bose)

I'm also curious to learn why the Kufatec wiring should be at variance with NSXJR's Symphony II to RNS-E PNP Harness Wiring Chart, but on the basis that everything seems to be working now I don't suppose I should be overly concerned?

Coming soon - bluetooth and ipod IMA interface...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
BINGO! the humming, crackling, and whining have all gone.
I like happy endings :)

My only query is whether adaptation channel 8 should be set to 255? (I have Bose)
It should be set to 255 with Bose.

I'm also curious to learn why the Kufatec wiring should be at variance with NSXJR's Symphony II to RNS-E PNP Harness Wiring Chart, but on the basis that everything seems to be working now I don't suppose I should be overly concerned?
So long as the Bose pin is grounded that's all that matters.

Same with the CD ground.

Many suppliers don't bother to connect the DWA pin - the only effect is that if someone tries to steal your RNS-E the alarm won't detect the removal of it, but the door and/or interior sensors SHOULD have gone off anyway.

Coming soon - bluetooth and ipod IMA interface...
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts