Audi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum and I'm very impressed about the level of the members knowledge! This site is really the place to look for RNS-E stuff!

Though I've used the search function, I haven't found the solution to my "problem", so I hope someone can help me though me question is regarding a european RNS-E.

I have a RNS-E from februrary 2006 in my A3 and would (ofcourse) very much like the S3 splash screen. In Vagcom I don't have access to channel 18, mayby because my software is version 0450. The question is now if anyone could help with a SW update from 0450 to 0500? I have a 2006-1 Navi DVD and thougt it was the newest and that it would upgrade my unit to version 0500. Isn't this the way to do a SW update?

Kind regards

Per

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Inserting the newer DVD is the correct way to do a software upgrade.

However, SW 0500 has NEVER been released on a DVD - only as an upgrade CD. The 2006_1 DVD has SW 0460 on it.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you a zip file with the files you need to create an 0500 upgrade CD (note CD NOT DVD). Just unzip this, burn them onto a CD and insert the CD into your RNS-E - it will go through the SW upgrade process and then changing adaptation channel 18 will make the S3 startup screen appear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the new software, but it won't upgrade

Dave was kind to send me the new software, but the unit didn't upgrade. I tried to reset (RADIO + SETUP) with the CD in the unit without any luck.

I am wondering if I have to set modulel #37 or #56 channel 97 to 1 and then try again, but I would like to have confirmed that I can return to the old version (0450) if it goes wrong? It's an european unit (if this matters at all).

Happy new year to everyone!

Per

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
What are the SOFIDX (version) and NAVVER on your RNS-E (Engeineering Mode) and on the update CD (index.txt) you got? Channel 97 may help to get the update started and should always allow to load an older version.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
In a PM izzwiz has said that the upgrade CD cannot be read by the RNS-E, so I suspect that the CD is not in the correct format rather than a SOFIDX or NAVVER problem.

If you use something like Roxio Easy CD you need to create a Data CD on a CD-R.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
PetrolDave said:
In a PM izzwiz has said that the upgrade CD cannot be read by the RNS-E, so I suspect that the CD is not in the correct format rather than a SOFIDX or NAVVER problem.

If you use something like Roxio Easy CD you need to create a Data CD on a CD-R.
Makes sense. Another common issue it that if an ISO is used to create the CD, the CD must be created not by putting the ISO as file on a new CD but by using the "write image to CD" (or similar) option usingt a CD writer application. XP alone can't do this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there

I've entered engeineering mode and these are the data displayed:

System SW index: 0450
HW index: H50
Boot version: V220100D
Audio SW version: A2210134-280705

What exactly is the "SOFIDX" (youl'll have to forgive me beeing a total newbie to this!) ?

I am using Nero Burning ROM 7.0.0.0. to make a dato CD ROM (using ISO-mode) and just putting the files that I received from Dave in the root-directory of tge CD-ROM.

After I have set channel 97 to "1" and rebootet the device with the data CD-ROM in the DVD-drive I get the following messages:

"Navigation is beeing initialized"

After a while I get the message:

"Please insert navigation DVD"

If I keep the CD-ROM in the drive I get this final message:

"CD/DVD is unreadable Plase check the CD/DVD"

I have tried different CD's from different manufactors, but with the same result.

I am propably doing something wrong, but don't know what...

Any more ideas anyone??

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The SOFIDX is the System SW index shown above. It's also the version shown under CAR/Version. Based on what you write I would agree with Dave that you have a problem with your DVD drive or the way you create CDs. Is the navigation DVD read properly and did you ever try to play a music or MP3 CD in the internal DVD drive?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't got any problems reading the navi DVD. The unit also decodes MP3's on CD's (650 and 700 MB's) without any problems from the DVD-drive. I am also leaning towards problems with the way the CD is created. I have tried both CD-R and CD-RW's but still need to try 650MB CD's.

I'll report back when I have bought some 650MB CD's.

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm always using 700MB CD-R, that shouldn't be the problem. Did you try the XP way and just drag all files onto an empty CD, write the to the CD and then close the CD which prevents further write access? I don't think the RNS-E likes multi-session CDs for software updates.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
YES! XP is your friend! :p

I tried the proposed method and finally it started upgradring!

Thanx to both of you for your help.

Cheers

Per

1 - 12 of 12 Posts