Audi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Is there a way to mute the phone thru the NAV or MFSW when connected to the BT module? So that I could only listen if I call in a conference call from
the car.
Maybe I missed that function but it didn't seem obvious to me.
Do Ihave to do it thru the phone?

The reason I am asking is that I had my BT installed a couple of days ago and the cable from PROXUS did not have a female connector (http://www.nsxjr.com/partpix/000-979-133.jpg) for the TEL MUTE wire.
Since my car had the factory RNS-E harness/quad-connector it didn't have anything where the TEL-MUTE should be plugged in. So I couldn't connect that wire.
Proxus emailed me and said the TEL-MUTE is used to mute the radio when getting a call.
Since that wire is not connected, my radio shouldn't mute when getting a call but it DOES. And the volume is restored as soon as the call ends.
Which makes me wonder if the TEL-MUTE isn't for muting the phone.
That's why I would like to try to see if that function works. Currently my NAV unit is sticks out of the enclosure (about half an inch) awaiting for the final connection (TEL-MUTE).
If I dont need it I will be one step closer to finishing the BT install
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Proxus is right... strange that your unit automatically mutes the radio... I guess it has a smart sensing of the tel audio wires and mutes when it detects action there.

If you want to mute your microphone while on a call you have to do it with your phone (I dont remember seeing a function for that on the RNS-E menu).

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The TEL MUTE is also used for 3rd party phone interfaces. It could very well be that the OEM BT phone interface mutes the RNS-E via CAN. I guess nobody really explored this possibility so far but since everything else is CAN based these days, why not this as well...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Good point... I'm going to try this next time I have my RNS-E pulled.

I suppose it is also possible that this only works with the newer BT modules and not with the older telematics modules so that would be another good reason to include the TEL Mute pin on the RNS-E even if it will not be used with Audi's newer phone modules.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U can use the RNS-E to mute your phone

Lee,

I found out by mistake how to mute your phone using the RNS-E interface.

When you are connected, press Options (the bottom right button) and then you have the option to Mute on or off.

I thought I'd share this find

1 - 5 of 5 Posts