Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Top man i never knew that, i will amend the how to thanks for that :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
PetrolDave said:
I had the auto-dimming exterior mirrors on my first (B6) S4, and I really miss them - they're great.
Think I'll probably go the whole hog and and fit them at the same time as the auto dimming rear view mirror and coming home lights.

livefour2day said:
I must be having a bad hair day sorry i went outside and pulled the switch out of my car it is 8E2 919 094 A. 100% or your money back if i am wrong i assumed it was 8E0 like most a4 parts sorry about that i have changed the how to guide...
Thanks for the update, I'll give 'em a call and order it tomorrow :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
very nice! I swapped the autodimming outside mirrors into my B6 1.8, aswell as the folding. but now I have a new project, coming home and auto lights, thanks man!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now i see why Petroldave rates the external auto dimming mirrors, one word excellent!!!
this took me a day and a half to fit considering it was only 2 wires from my auto dimming internal mirror, it was all down to routing the wires from inside the car to the outside mirrors. What a pig of a job, i can see why Audi is made so well, anyway it is all done and is well worth the effort. :D

by the way, nice job on the power folding mirrors Cyrix9445

·
Registered
56 Posts
livefour2day said:
Now i see why Petroldave rates the external auto dimming mirrors, one word excellent!!!
this took me a day and a half to fit considering it was only 2 wires from my auto dimming internal mirror, it was all down to routing the wires from inside the car to the outside mirrors. What a pig of a job, i can see why Audi is made so well, anyway it is all done and is well worth the effort. :D

by the way, nice job on the power folding mirrors Cyrix9445
Thanks man, and I agree running those two wires to each mirror is harder then it sounds.

I had a few questions, I read your post and tried to break it down to what wires go where and heres what I got, but I have a few questions.

Headlight Switch
7 joined with 16 to 29 on the Control Unit
1 cut, connect to 8 on the Range Switch and 4 on the Range Switch

Headlight Range Switch
7 to 24 on the Control Unit

Anti-dazzle Mirror
6 to 1 on the Overheadlight
2 to Earth (ground)
1 to 1 on Main Headlight Switch and connect to 4 & 8 on the Range Switch
3 to 30 on the Power control unit
4 exterior autodim
5 exterior autodim

Overheadlight
11 to 19 on the Power Control Unit

You mention that you have to add a pin on number 18 of the power control unit plug, but you never mention what to do with it. And
"Pin 1 on Mirror to Pin 1 on Main Headlight Switch and connect to 4 & 8 on the Range Switch" So, you loop from pin one on the headlight switch to pin 4 and 8 connected together on the range switch?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Headlight Switch
7 joined with 16 to 29 on the Control Unit CORRECT
1 cut, connect to 8 on the Range Switch and 4 on the Range Switch AND 18 ON CONTROL UNIT

Headlight Range Switch
7 to 24 on the Control Unit CORRECT

Anti-dazzle Mirror
6 to 1 on the Overheadlight CORRECT
2 to Earth (ground) CORRECT
1 to 1 on Main Headlight Switch and connect to 4 & 8 on the Range Switch CORRECT
3 to 30 on the Power control unit CORRECT
4 exterior autodim CORRECT
5 exterior autodim CORRECT

Overheadlight
11 to 19 on the Power Control Unit CORRECT

You mention that you have to add a pin on number 18 of the power control unit plug, but you never mention what to do with it. Connect to 1 on headlight switch and 4 and 8 on the range switch.

And
"Pin 1 on Mirror to Pin 1 on Main Headlight Switch and connect to 4 & 8 on the Range Switch" So, you loop from pin one on the headlight switch to pin 4 and 8 connected together on the range switch? CORRECT

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any idea if this is easier for B7 with bi-xenons? At the moment their function in my car is semi-automatic, If I don't touch the light switch, only to the low halogens next to the grille are lit. This is nice of course when in daylight, dont have to burn the xenons. NOTE: I can shut these low halogens off by the small knob next to the light switch (I guess, never done thou), can't remember the 3-letter acronym written into it. And then if I put lights on, the xenons are lit. If I don't turn the lights on, the dashboard lights are not lit also, so if I cant see the numbers in speedometer, it is dark enough to use the xenon, and then I lit them by turning the lights switch. Logical, yes.

But there is feature that automatically lits the xenons (expensive when bought as new), if it is dark enough. Any idea if I need more than the auto dimming inner mirror and some cabling and some VAG-COM coding? Do I get the rain sensor somehow easily with them?

Also would like to upgrade my xenons to "curve xenons", but I guess that need totally new lights, not just some levers with motors with heavy VAG-COM-coding..:) (link)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone else successfully managed to install this? I am trying at the moment, but my wiring seems different to that listed in the instructions. I have wires in pins that I need to put new pins into! Argh!!

Cheers

Chaz

·
Registered
77 Posts
chasdrury said:
Has anyone else successfully managed to install this? I am trying at the moment, but my wiring seems different to that listed in the instructions. I have wires in pins that I need to put new pins into! Argh!!

Cheers

Chaz
Not yet, but I am planning to do it. Hopefully it'll be sometime next month or maybe after Christmas.

I hope you do manage to get it sorted soon, let us know how you get on.

Rich

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great Topic!
Many Thanks... This will be one of my next mod's... :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm now collect all the stuff I need to this mod.... my first questions:

1) Where is the best place to find these Audi repair pins?

2) It's easy remove the original mirror??? I'm afraid when I try remove it break my front glass... :roll:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cyrix9445 said:
I got my pins from the dealer; The mirror is really easy to take off, you just twist it.
Ok... thanks for the tips! :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone managed to retro fit this feature on an A3 8P yet. I've managed to source an auto-dimming rear view mirror, wiring kit from Kufatec and a new dash swich with the necessary functions but its the wiring thats stumped me!

Would be pleased to receive some help from anyone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Folks,
Looks like I'm going to have a similar problem. I've just pulled the light switch out and I too have wires where I shouldn't. For example I don't have anything in pairs 3, 11,14 but Do have wires in pair 16
Looks like those of us that have a Lowline model may have some wiring issues, Not quite as simlpe as first seems
I did notice that beside each of the pin numbers was another set of numbers or letters which seem to relate to the actual light switch.It might be possible to follow the switch rather than the plug ??????

Mike :lol:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I suggest you get the correct wiring diagram for your car instead of believing the pin numbers are the same, every model and year have it's own difference in these parts.
Ask your dealer and they have to give you the diagram because you own the car

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Paul H said:
I suggest you get the correct wiring diagram for your car instead of believing the pin numbers are the same, every model and year have it's own difference in these parts.
Ask your dealer and they have to give you the diagram because you own the car
hit the nail on the head, you must check your year and model the wiring will be differant from mine, i used elsa win i am more than happy to look up your wiring for your car you will need to PM me your Vin number, year and model.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That would be more than appreciated definately above and beyond the call of duty....Thanks I will PM you.
Brief outline looks like I have a Lowline model from looking at the wiring at the lightswitch. The diagram I have seems only to apply to Highline models therefore I don't know if it is possible to install auto lights to the lowline model at all.
Thanks

Mike

21 - 40 of 160 Posts