Audi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to Retrofit Auto head lights and coming home function with Auto anti dazzle mirror
I can not accept any liabilities for the following information, you do this at your own risk I am just supplying the information on how I have done this retro fit on my car, proceed at your own risk.
Before you decide to do this retro fit you will need to buy the following parts, assuming you don’t have an auto dimming internal rear view mirror.
The following parts are for my 2003 A4, so part numbers may vary with colour and model.
8E0 857 511 E59 (light platinum grey) Auto dimming mirror £143.37
8E0 857 593 E59 (light platinum grey) Cover £3.77
8E0 941 531 B Headlight switch with auto function (Soul black) £70.79
8E2 919 094 A (RHD specific) Headlight range and Coming home switch (Soul black) £23.50
8E0 857 535 G External Auto dimming mirror (Left) £154.53 (Optional)
8E0 857 536 G External Auto dimming mirror (Right) £154.53 (Optional)

When a pin number is mentioned the plug will have a series of numbers on them next to each hole the pin goes into that is what this guide refers to.
All pins should have the wires attached with at least 1mtr of cable on them before inserting them.

Headlight main switch
Firstly you need to remove your old light switch to do this push the switch in and turn right, then pull towards you. Then disconnect the wiring plug.
You will need to add 2 pins to the headlight main plug using Audi repair pins 000 979 225 Picture courtesy of http://www.nsxjr.com

You should insert 2 of these pins into holes numbers 7 and 16.
You should already have a wire in pin 1 and the wire colour should be black this should be cut and isolated as it will no longer be used, the end with the pin can be retained and extend the end of this wire.

Headlight range switch
Then remove the headlight range control switch, and disconnect it.
You will need 3 of the following repair pins 000 979 009 Picture courtesy of http://www.nsxjr.com

Connect the first pin into number 4 and the second into number 7, and the third into number 8.
Onboard power supply control unit

Next remove the lower dash trim below the steering wheel.
Behind this trim underneath is the onboard power supply control unit, it looks this, the green arrow points to the grey 32 pin plug, pull the purple arm down and then the plug can be released.

You then need to slide the purple flat retaining clip out to release the white pin block containing the wires of your car. Below is the plug broken down. Picture courtesy of http://www.nsxjr.com

You will then need to add 5 pins to the white block of the grey plug using the following repair pins 000 979 009 Picture courtesy of http://www.nsxjr.com

These pins should be inserted into pin numbers 18, 19,24,29 and 30.

Rearview auto antidazzle mirror
There is no plug that I or my Audi dealer can find for the end of this mirror connection, but this is not a problem as I went to my local maplins and used a USB motherboard plug which is the exact fit, but I am sure there are plenty of other plugs out there. Or you could cut the plug of the mirror if you want to, just make sure you leave enough wire on the end.
The following colour wires relate to the numbers on the plug
1 - White
2 - Black
3 – Grey
4 – Yellow
5 – Brown
6 – Green
Take wire number 6 on the mirror and connect it using the following repair pins 000 979 009 into number 1 on the interior overhead light wiring connection. As shown below.
Then on the Interior overhead light wiring connection insert a repair pin 000 979 009 into number 11 and run this wire down to the onboard power supply control unit plug and connect it using repair pin 000 979 009 to number 19

Then take the Black wire number 2 and crimp a female spade connector and attach it to the Interior overhead light spare male earth point as shown below.

Wire number 1 White needs to also run down to the Main Light switch and connects to number 1 on the Main light switch and also number 4 and 8 on the range control switch.
Wire number 3 also runs down to the onboard power supply control unit plug and connects to number 30.
That leaves 2 wires numbers 4 and 5 which are for the external auto dimming mirrors I will add to this when I finish fitting them. So for now just isolate them.

The remaining wire connections
Ok so you are now ready to connect the last of the wires together
On the Main Light switch take the wire into number 1 and join it to the wire in the Headlight range switch number 8. And also number 4.
Then on the Headlight range switch take the wire into number 7 and join it to number 24 on the onboard power supply control unit plug.
Then Headlight main switch take the wires into numbers 7 and 16 and join them together and then connect the end of the joined wires to the wire on the onboard power supply control plug number 29.

Coding
And to finish we need to code the car using Vag-Com go into select control module, then 09 Cent Elect, then select Coding – 07, and in the Software coding box type your code for your car, mine for the UK was showing before I coded it 00001 but to add the auto lights it changed to 01001. When you have put the code in press do it, then close controller.
0?xxx: Light Sensor
0 = Light Sensor not installed
1 = Light Sensor installed
0x?xx: Trailer Hitch
0 = Trailer Hitch not installed
1 = Trailer Hitch installed
0xx?x: Headlights
0 = Halogen Headlights
1 = Xenon Headlights
0xxx?: Country
1 = Rest of World
2 = Northern Countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark)
3 = USA
4 = Canada

If you have wired it up correctly you will be able to test (when its dark outside) make sure your new light switch is set to Auto, and the coming home function is set to 1 as shown below.

then unlock your car your front fog lights will light up and your tail lights will light up, then open your driver’s door, all the lights will then turn off, get in the car start her up and the headlights will come on, the mirror will have a green light on and the button will be red, when this button is red it means Auto anti dazzle is on to test the mirror flick you overhead light switch the mirror will darken.
After this test turn off the ignition the headlights will go off get out of the car lock it and the front fog lights and rear lights all come on, they stay on for around 45 seconds then turn off.

I have had a few people asking me if the Low line spec A4s will work with this, and i have looked into this and it seems the Power supply is differant on the Low line and therefore you CANT use this guide on Low line models.

Enjoy :D :D
Livefour2day

·
Registered
578 Posts
anyone know if this is possible for a A6 2002?

i love this feature... :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
HI all,

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagrams for an Audi A3 8P i would love to retro fit this to my car and do a similar write up as this is one of the features i miss most on my new sportback.

Regards

Barry

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PM me your car details and i will look it up and send you the diag's

·
Registered
77 Posts
I suspect the answer to this will be no, but do you think that it's possible to add the coming home feature only? I suspect not as I'm guessing it uses the light sensor to check if they are needed or not. Although, I wouldn't mind even if they came on in the day for a short period of time.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
77 Posts
livefour2day said:
8E1 919 094 A Headlight range and Coming home switch (Soul black) £23.50
Sorry to be a pain mate, but would you mind double checking this part number please? As I just tried ordering one and they've told me that it's not a valid part number.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you are correct i put a 1 instead of 0 it should be 8E0 919 094 A i have changed it above :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
livefour2day said:
you are correct i put a 1 instead of 0 it should be 8E0 919 094 A i have changed it above :D
Cool, thanks for checking, I'll give them a call a little later and try ordering one :D

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
next up the auto dimming external mirrors not as easy as i thought anyone know how to remove the glass without cracking it :?: :?:

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
livefour2day said:
next up the auto dimming external mirrors not as easy as i thought anyone know how to remove the glass without cracking it :?: :?:
Angle the mirrors as far up as they will go to open up a gap underneath, get as large a thin flat piece of wood as will fit between the mirror and the housing, slide that between them, lever gently and ........ pray! Don't expect to remove both without breaking at least one ...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does the mirror have any kind of adhesive on it?

If so you can also use a hair dryer (being careful of course not to hold it over one place for too long) and basically warm the adhesive up as you are prying with the wood.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
Dadeepman said:
Does the mirror have any kind of adhesive on it?
No, the mirror is permanently attached to a backplate which clips onto the adjustment plate (which is attached to the adjustment motor).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
suspect the answer to this will be no, but do you think that it's possible to add the coming home feature only? I suspect not as I'm guessing it uses the light sensor to check if they are needed or not. Although, I wouldn't mind even if they came on in the day for a short period of time.
Yes the coming home function uses the light sensor

·
Registered
77 Posts
livefour2day said:
Yes the coming home function uses the light sensor
Thanks for replying mate, I thought it might. Oh well, the full works it is then I guess :)

I tried order the coming home and headlight switch part with the 8E0 number, but for some reason they couldn't find it, so I think I'll take a drive to the dealer and find it that way. Mind you, it was the same guy who has struggled finding a few parts for me in the past, so it's likely to be just him missing it.

Good luck with fitting the auto dimming exterior mirrors, I've never seen exterior dimming mirrors in use, but must say I do find the interior one makes quite a difference so it'll be good to fit it to mine also.

Cheers,

Rich

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
wallacr said:
Good luck with fitting the auto dimming exterior mirrors, I've never seen exterior dimming mirrors in use, but must say I do find the interior one makes quite a difference so it'll be good to fit it to mine also.
I had the auto-dimming exterior mirrors on my first (B6) S4, and I really miss them - they're great.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I must be having a bad hair day sorry i went outside and pulled the switch out of my car it is 8E2 919 094 A. 100% or your money back if i am wrong i assumed it was 8E0 like most a4 parts sorry about that i have changed the how to guide...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks petroldave for the tip i prayed and the drivers side is out i didnt mention that i made the mistake of putting the £200 dimming mirrors in to see if they fit ok and it was them i have to remove to fit the wires on, anyway one is out safely.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
livefour2day said:
I must be having a bad hair day sorry i went outside and pulled the switch out of my car it is 8E2 919 094 A deffinatly 100% money back if i am wrong i assumed it was 8E0 like most a4 parts sorry about that i have changed the how to guide...
8E2 is a RHD part, the equivalent LHD part will have suffix 8E1.

IIRC the prefix on a B6/B7 A4 work like this:

8E0 = universal
8E1 = LHD specific
8E2 = RHD specific
8E5 = saloon (sedan) specific
8E9 = Avant specific

1 - 20 of 160 Posts