Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I only have 4 most of the time when im driving around, and a lot of times it will drop to 3 or even 2. I was receiving up to 7 and 8 on another RNS-E i had installed last week. What could the problem be if there is a problem? I read that it needs 4 satellites to properly calculate positioning which is why im concerned for when it drops below.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
Sounds like your GPS antenna doesn't have a clear enough view of the sky.

In my B7 I usually get between 6 and 8 - with the GPS antenna stuck to the underside of the dash forward of the passenger airbag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats interesting, because thats basically exactly where mine is, except drivers side because our wheels are on different sides from eachother... I was getting upwards of 7 satellites with a different unit... could this unit be broken?

also, i forgot to add... I get 0 satellites for a few minutes after i start the car and the map is about a quarter mile off where I actually am until it starts pulling sats a while down the road...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i vagged it and this is what i got... this seems like a ridiculous amount of codes.. I didnt clear them, but I will try if you think it'll help.

VAG-COM Version: Release 512.4-UD
Supreme Power Parts
Control Module Part Number: 8E0 035 192 F
Component and/or Version: RNS-E US3 H70 0110
Software Coding: 0301634
Work Shop Code: WSC 22624
9 Faults Found:
00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
00856 - Radio Antenna
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
00852 - Loudspeaker(s); Front
011 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
00857 - CD Changer Unit (R41)
004 - No Signal/Communication
01303 - Telephone Transceiver (R36)
004 - No Signal/Communication
00467 - TV Tuner (R78)
004 - No Signal/Communication
02218 - Satellite Radio (R146)
004 - No Signal/Communication
01305 - Databus for Infotainment
004 - No Signal/Communication
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
Most of them seem to be left over from the initial install. You should clear them and check after a few power cycles what's coming back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
OverSpun said:
It seems like I only have 4 most of the time when im driving around, and a lot of times it will drop to 3 or even 2. I was receiving up to 7 and 8 on another RNS-E i had installed last week. What could the problem be if there is a problem? I read that it needs 4 satellites to properly calculate positioning which is why im concerned for when it drops below.
I have the same problem on my RNS-E did my troubleshooting.

1. bought another GPS Antenna mount it same place- same result.
2. Exchanged my RNS-E with another unit -same result
a. Unit gets 0 signal and sometimes jumps to 3 or 4 signals but most of times its 3 signal and like everyone says you need 4 signal or more to get the correct position.

3. I placed the GPS antenna outside of the car on the roof where the shark fin antenna goes I got solid 7 Signal and not even a drop of signal. I even placed it on the outside of trunk near the lip of the trunk by the back window and sure enough 7 solid signals.

I placed the Antenna inside my trunk away from speakers etc and the signal was 3-4 but sad to say that the signal changes all the time.

I think GPS Antenna should be placed outside of the car. It works the best over any place inside the car.

I'm trying to find longer GPS antenna and mount the antenna on the outside of trunk on the lip of the trunk by the back window glass.

Wish all Audi A4's 2002-2005 came with Shark Fin installed for future needs.

Is there anyone that sells longer GPS antenna cable like extensions email me please
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a shark fin on my 2005... can i use it for my GPS? I just have an a4 non-bose car, im not sure why i have the shark fin when my car didnt even come with XM radio... but i guess i can use it for my nav? how do i do it? i want to do it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,767 Posts
All MY 2004 and newer North American Audi are prewired for Sattelite radio and have the SAT/GPS/GSM antenna on the roof. Euro-Parts has extension cords with the right plugs and the Quick Links show at least one example of how to get to the shark fin in a B6 A4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
AudiA4B6US said:
All MY 2004 and newer North American Audi are prewired for Sattelite radio and have the SAT/GPS/GSM antenna on the roof. Euro-Parts has extension cords with the right plugs and the Quick Links show at least one example of how to get to the shark fin in a B6 A4.
But if my Audi doesn thave the Shark Fin it doesnt apply to me right? My car roof doesnt have the shark Fin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
msharifi said:
AudiA4B6US said:
All MY 2004 and newer North American Audi are prewired for Sattelite radio and have the SAT/GPS/GSM antenna on the roof. Euro-Parts has extension cords with the right plugs and the Quick Links show at least one example of how to get to the shark fin in a B6 A4.
But if my Audi doesn thave the Shark Fin it doesnt apply to me right? My car roof doesnt have the shark Fin.
correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Shark fin

A shark fin can be installed on any B6 vehicle. This should fix almost all reception issues. I hate to beat a dead horse, but the auto manufactures put the antenna on the roof for a reason. I never had a vehicle with the stock GPS antenna have any issues with satalite reception, but look at the large number of posts by people who have their antennas under the dash, and have reception issues. You start to see a pattern. If anyone is interested in a sharkfin update PM me. The added bonus is that it also gives you the SAT antenna for XM/Sirius.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, i ordered an extension cable to use my factory antenna... I hope that helps me. I'm assuming its a much bigger antenna in the roof and will get better reception that way. Or atleast I hope.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
It's not that the roof antenna is bigger - it's better because it has a clear view of the sky in all directions, which let's it receive the signal from the GPS satellites wherever they are. A GPS antenna inside the car will always be partially obstructed, so it won't be as good.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,350 Posts
OverSpun said:
Awesome, thanks for the information Dave. Can you post some pictures of your RS4? It sounds amazing by the look of your signature.
Since guys keep asking, I'll add them to my album here.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top