Audi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've a RS6 and I just bought a RNS-E (not finished to install, f.... CAN) and recently a Tuner 4D0 919 146C (not yet received).
I red somewhere that it is possible to plug a DVD-player or a playstation directly on the tuner. Is there already a cinch on the tuner? Do I need any adapter?

Thank's for your support

Philippe

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
There is no cinch but if you search ebay, there are several sellers offering a small adapter that plugs in to the connector at the TV tuners and gives you audio/video in. You only need the passive adapter, no active converter or so. make sure you get one for the C/D tuner because IIRC the plug for the older tuner is different.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've also read in a couple of places that a few guys in here are looking for other ways to dd the DVD options to the RNS. I know some know how to program or unlock the video in motion in the RNS and will require you to send your unit in to them for this to be done. I'm researching this opion as well and hope to put together something real soon.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Ponch said:
I've also read in a couple of places that a few guys in here are looking for other ways to dd the DVD options to the RNS. I know some know how to program or unlock the video in motion in the RNS and will require you to send your unit in to them for this to be done. I'm researching this opion as well and hope to put together something real soon.
You need the VIM update done so your passengers(!) can watch the DVD while you are driving, but you still need an extra interface to connect an external DVD player.

So far no progress has been made enabling the DVD drive in the RNS-E to play DVD movies.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ah, so I would need the RNS (Have) then have it unlocked for VIM and purchase a DVD player of my choice. Once I have the DVD player, I still need an interface that will connect the RCA plugs from the DVD to the connection on the RNS. This is of course for my passengers entertainment. I read somewhere in here that someone backed out of his driveway and in to another car because he was watching a DVD ... I don't want to be THAT guy ;)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Ponch said:
Ah, so I would need the RNS (Have) then have it unlocked for VIM and purchase a DVD player of my choice. Once I have the DVD player, I still need an interface that will connect the RCA plugs from the DVD to the connection on the RNS.
Spot on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I noticed in your sig that you have teh S4 apear on your RNS. IS this something that can be done on other models or isit something that the S4 has by default?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Ponch said:
I noticed in your sig that you have teh S4 apear on your RNS. IS this something that can be done on other models or isit something that the S4 has by default?
RS4 actually.

It's related to the SW version on your RNS-E:

US SW 0110 or earlier - no choice, default startup screen only.
US SW 0150 - you only have the choice of default or TT startup screens only

EU SW 0460 or earlier - no choice, default startup screen only.
EU SW 0500 or later - choice of default, S3, S4, RS4 or TT startup screens.

RNS-E Adaptation Channel 18 values:

0 = default startup screen
1 = S3 startup screen
2 = S4 startup screen
3 = RS4 startup screen
4 = TT startup screen

·
Registered
189 Posts
'm looking at mine now and it reads:
sw 0110
HW h71
should i be looking elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Ponch said:
'm looking at mine now and it reads:
sw 0110
HW h71
should i be looking elsewhere?
Nope. I couldn't remember if the US SW versions went from 0100 to 0150 or 0110 to 0150, I'll edit my post.

Since you have US SW 0110 you only get the default startup screen - sorry.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok LOL. Is it hard and can it be updated?

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Ponch said:
Ok LOL. Is it hard and can it be updated?
If you get the latest US map DVD that will automatically update you to US SW 0150, but that will still only give you the choice of standard or TT startup screens.

There's several guys (here and on other forums) looking into how & where the startup screens are stored - keep watching...

·
Registered
189 Posts
So the software version gets updated with the maps DVD? Easy enough. Thanks for all the information!

·
Registered
4 Posts
rns-e dvd player

Has anyone figured out how to play movies on the rns-e dvd player or do you still need an external dvd player and the VIM hack. If not, does anyone have recommendations on tv tuners, dvd players, and media adapters (basically what is the minimum needed to play dvds on the rns-e). If this is posted in another forum could someone just post the link.

Thanks
Jacinth

·
Registered
167 Posts
PetrolDave said:
Ponch said:
RS4 actually.

It's related to the SW version on your RNS-E:

US SW 0110 or earlier - no choice, default startup screen only.
US SW 0150 - you only have the choice of default or TT startup screens only

EU SW 0460 or earlier - no choice, default startup screen only.
EU SW 0500 or later - choice of default, S3, S4, RS4 or TT startup screens.

RNS-E Adaptation Channel 18 values:

0 = default startup screen
1 = S3 startup screen
2 = S4 startup screen
3 = RS4 startup screen
4 = TT startup screen

This only works if you have the Unit coded for the correct car it might be worth nothing (AFAIK).

My B5 is coded for an A6 so I can't select a startup screen :(

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
reserves said:
This only works if you have the Unit coded for the correct car it might be worth nothing (AFAIK).
That's been posted on here several times already.

BTW it's also only true for EU software, NOT US software.

Coded for a Lamborghini - "special" startup screen automatically selected.

Coded for an A3 - only "special" startup screen S3.

Coded for an A4 - only "special" screens S4 and RS4.

Coded for an A6 - no "special" screens.

Coded for an R8 - only "special" screen R8.

Coded for a TT - only "special" screen TT.

·
Registered
167 Posts
PetrolDave said:
reserves said:
That's been posted on here several times already.

BTW it's also only true for EU software, NOT US software.

Coded for a Lamborghini - "special" startup screen automatically selected.

Coded for an A3 - only "special" startup screen S3.

Coded for an A4 - only "special" screens S4 and RS4.

Coded for an A6 - no "special" screens.

Coded for an R8 - only "special" screen R8.

Coded for a TT - only "special" screen TT.

I wasn't aware it was only EU software, darn. Oh well, I'll take TMC over a start up screen ;)

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
reserves said:
I wasn't aware it was only EU software, darn.
That's been posted many times on here before too!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts