Audi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get any radio stations very clear in my car, and only about two that even come in.

It's not an RNS-E problem because it was the same with the Symphony II...but I was wondering if you guys know of some way to boost the signal? Anyone ran into this before and found a solution?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah ha! That's useful info. Radio reception should be very good with both RNS-E and Syphony. As it affects both, it is very unlikely the problem is in the RNS-E. However, that would not stop me looking at the anntena and diversity connectors on the RNS-E - just to be sure.

Assuming you live someqwhere where other radios get good reception then you don't need a booster, there must be a problem somewhere between the antenna input and diversity output on your Nav/Radio and the antenna system itself.

In descending order of probability, one of following things has happened:

Bad connection at a connector (Corrosin or not properly seated)
Broken co-axial cable (Pulled too tight or bent too much)
Loss of power feed or ground return on amplifier/divesrity box (These may well be fed down the co-ax cable - I'd have to look at the circuit)
Component failure in amplifier or diversity box.

Let's get rid of the obvious first - no dubt you've looked at these, but to stop me worrying about them - are the antenna tracks on the windows all intact? Do you have an external antenna that has not been damaged in a car wash?

Right, let's get a bit cleverer.

Is the problem on both FM and AM? Does it depend to any extent on which way the vehicle is facing? Is it different between nightime and daytime? (the signal strength can alter with the time of day).

If you have acces to VAG Com, that would be a good starting point - see what faults are being reported, if any. This is by far and away the best first step.

If you do not, then it's a process of elimination. You will need to check cable continuity and that all connectors are corrosion free and properly connected - it's a pain, because some will be behind the trim, but at least it's cheap in terms of parts. After that, it's a question of substituiting the amplifiers and diversity switch box. The chances are that well concealed connectors are ok, as they will not have been disturbed. I would start by looking in areas where work has been done.

You need to work carefully and logically when doing this. A step at a time. You need access to the wiring diagrams and the Audi fault finding info. If you do not already have it, I strongly suggest you invest in the Bentley manual for your car. VAG Com might appear expensive, but you can recoup the costs by avoiding just one visit to the dealeer.

Because of the manpower charge rates it is usually cheaper for you if the dealer simply replaces everything their test gear indicates might be faulty, rather than trying to track down the specific faulty component. If you are not having to pay for your own time you can usually track down these faults - it just takes time.

If you have an C5/A6 I can provide some more detail - if you have a different vehicle, I will not be of much more help as I do not have access to the non C5 circuit diagrams, fault finding info and component locations.

Bob

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the lenghtly reply.

Reception is bad for both FM and AM, but not everywhere, which is why I asked about some sort of signal booster. There are areas of town, especially the closer I get to the downtown area where all the broadcasting antennas are, the better it sounds...even perfect in some instances.

The problem is, in many places I get very poor reception. I would blame it on living too far from the center, but our VW Touareg gets perfect radio reception as did my girlfriend's Toyota Camry, both which have an antenna built into the rear window just like my A4.

·
Registered
22 Posts
pop down the back of your headliner(the last 4 or 5 inches)there is a black box mounted to the glass that has three antenna wires and one ground wire inspect this for any crack in the plastic(do not try to remove it unless it has the cracks it is easy to damage the antenna module) if it has cracks in it then you need a new one your local dealer should have it in stock

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm well known for lengthy articles! Looks like Jack knows about this problem.

On the C5/A6 there is a an "Antenna Selection Control Module" It has two co axial feeds to/from the from the Nav/Radio. One is the amplified and antenna selected radio signal going to the Nav/radio, the other carries a signal from the Nav/radio telling the selection module which anntenna amplifier to select.

There are four co-ax feeds coming into this selection module. Each one from an antenna amplifier.

Cucially only one amplifier processes the AM signal.

Since you have the problem on both AM and FM it would be a reasonable assumption to exclude the individual amps if I was tracing this fault on a C5. It may be on the A4 that the amp and selection functions are combined in one module.

I still do not think you need a buffer. There is something not working properly. My limited C5 knowledge is not itself a lot of help to you, but I am also trying to show how faults can be tracked down - which has a more general use.

Bob

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On the B6/B7 sedan the amps and diversity box are all part of one unit that resides behind the rear headliner trim attached to the top of the glass. Much cleaner package than our C5 system!

·
Registered
74 Posts
HX_Guy said:
I don't get any radio stations very clear in my car, and only about two that even come in.
Do you have metallic tint on your car? That could be a problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I popped off the cover at the rear of the roof liner and sure enough, the diversity/booster module is cracked on one end.

I called Audi and they said it is covered under the CPO warranty so I'll finally have radio after owning the car for 3 years. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have a problem with radio reception in my A6 C5 2003. I recently retro fitted a RNS-E unit and I now have none or very little radio reception on AM or FM. My original setup was a single DIN Concert II with BOSE and radio reception was fine. Could it be a problem with the FAKRA connector? The FAKRA and harness were supplied by KUFATEC and the harness seems to be fine. I have recetly downloaded VAG-COM but haven't had a chance to investigate the faults thoroughly or setup the nav unit to complete the install, although a brief look identified an intermittent fault with the radio antenna!
My current setup is RNS-E with Bose(front speakers not yet working!), Nokia phone and Phatbox in the boot.

Thanx in advance for any help

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jack where exaclty should I look for this black box?

jack_2.0_b7 said:
pop down the back of your headliner(the last 4 or 5 inches)there is a black box mounted to the glass that has three antenna wires and one ground wire inspect this for any crack in the plastic(do not try to remove it unless it has the cracks it is easy to damage the antenna module) if it has cracks in it then you need a new one your local dealer should have it in stock

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know this one has been closed but I had originally a Symphony I in a C5/A6 and the AM radio worked decently and now I have the RNS-E in and the AM is zip... my rear window is tinted and Ive gotten used to having to copy my podcasts of Rush Limbaugh to my SD card but I figured Id see if there was anything I could do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It can also be your xenon lights, or a bad ground to your radio. I have the same problem now... But I recently installed the xenons...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Audi Service says it's normal..I got the same reception in..

the A3 Loaner. The radio sounds good when the signal is strong but it just has poor pickup strenght I guess.
If there are any hills around forget it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have the same problem... since some months i dont receive any radio stations.... i dont even receive TMC.... i have an A4 cabrio 2003. The diversity and normal antenna is plugged into the rns-e properly the problem must be the "blackbox" or how you would call it...

where can i find it in my a4 cabrio to check it? Or what would you suggest me to do? It makes me crazy to drive without radio.

many thanks.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
In the cabrio, both the radio and GPS antenne are in the trunk lid and the wires break easily. If you have a VAG-COM you should see some faults though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Loaner A3 had same crappy long range reception

I got an A3 durring my service and the radio worked exactly the same. Fine with clear line of site...throw in some hills and forget about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok so I think I figured this one out a year later. I took my C5 A6 to the dealer and they said for my series the antennas have separate amps and the AM amp was bad and they replaced it and BANG works like FM

·
Registered
58 Posts
All of a sudden things make a little sense..

I have upgraded my A4 2003 Cab with RNS-E and been having bad radio reception. It has slowly got worse over time...
Haaggie helped me switch unit for a few days to discover RNS-E is not the root of the problem (excellent service as always!).

So where to look? I recently had a fault on the switch for opening roof and first thought it might be more serious trouble in the trunk because I discovered water that came from the trunk lid. Garage says it probably entered through the brakelight... roof was simply repaired with a new switch..

And now I read a post by AudiA4B6US that the radio antenna is in the trunk lid... And I have water in there.. must be linked problems!

Today VAGCom was read and the following fault was found:

Address 37: Navigation Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
Part No SW: 8E0 035 192 Q HW: 8E0 035 192 Q
Component: RNS-E HIGH EU H74 0660
Revision: 04S Serial number: AUZBZ7G0048247
Coding: 0409717
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000

00856 - Radio Antenna
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 89
Reset counter: 193
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2008.02.10
Time: 14:20:56

Could this be related, water in trunk lid and bad or no radio reception?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts