Audi Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bid on a nav plus unit on ebay, and it has been a whole host of problems. First off, shipping was a too expensive, but I ate it as the price on the unit was very low. The frst time the unit was shipped (from Ontario) it hit customs and was sent back because of paperwork problems. A week and a half later, the unit arrived. I took a look at the box and new there would be problems: it was trashed. I opened the box and there was a scratch on the LCD and a chunk missing from the faceplate! No good, at all.

I had insurance, so I am starting a claim to get refunded. Since I couldn't bear to see a nice nav unit sitting on my desk all weekend, I tried to install it tonight. Wiring matched up fine. BUT the security code I was provided did not work. So, it won't do anything but turn on.

Sliding the unit in, the face plate does not match at all. I have a 2001.5 S4 Avant, and the part number on the unit is 8D0 035 192 G.... the faceplate is more or less vertical on the sides, where as the sides of the Symphony stereo slope inward from top to bottom.... not a match.

What is the deal?

ugh.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The part number is correct for a B5 A4 but someone may have swapped the faceplate or modified it to fit another car. IIRC, somewhere on the RNS-D faceplate there is a label A4, A6, A8 or so. But if you see that the unit will not fit, it's most likely a B5 unit with another faceplate. I have seem a couple of those as RNS-E, since they are all electrically similar someone could swap faceplates to get one workign unit out of two broken units.

Regarding the code, if you are certain that the unit is not stolen you could wire it up (at least connect power and the k-wire and see your dealer. Somedealer will look up the code using the serial number that is printed on the case, some other will only connect with their VAS to look it up online. But since the faceplate may have been swapped, who knows if the main board didn't get swapped as well and will not match the serial number printed on the case.

In any case, good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.