Audi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any negative effect on power management if I have a higher capacity battery than the original specification?

The higher capacity battery I am referring to is a Bosch S5 920A/110Ah (I think the original battery is a Varta 520A/110Ah).

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It will not be fully charged if the battery is not one of the approved types. When you repace the battery the power management controller has to be coded with the type of the fitted battery in order to charge it corectly. Using a non approved battery will reduce its lifetime and it will never operate at the full specs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm experiencing starting problems (slow start from cold) and have a Bosch S5 920A/110Ah since the winter. I'm also experiencing very long crank times shortly after driving the car for a few miles. After long cranking the ABS light comes on the dash, and VCDS reports an error for the ABS of voltage - lowere limit exceeded.

The battery has been tested by three garages and it shows up as a good battery, but low on charge (80%).

The car starts perfectly every time I connect a jump start/battery pack, whether it's cold or after driving.

I'm wondering if the non OEM spec battery is causing these starting issues?

·
Registered
595 Posts
The energy manager simply does not know how to properly charge a battery other then the approved and pre programed ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Audi have now installed a new OEM battery for £340 (Varta 520A/110Ah). For the first few days starting seemed ok, but still took 3 to 4 seconds to fire. A week later and the start this morning from cold was slower than I would expect, and after driving a few miles, stopping for 5 minutes, then it would just crank continously.

I attached a jump starter, and it turned strongly and fired within 2 to 3 seconds.

I don't think Audi really know what to do now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.