Audi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting an A3 for a couple of months now. I had been looking for one with a nav and TDI but it seems nigh impossible to locate one for a decent price.

A couple of vehicle have caught my eye lately--they have Xenon, S-Line and Titanium, but they have higher miles. One of them has 153K miles, the other 90K and they're the 2.0 non-TDI models.

Would it be foolish of me to buy one with such high miles, or do these cars still go strong?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
On a TDI 150k miles is said by some to be barely run-in!

When you say non-TDI do you mean TFSI?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one is a 2008 A3 with an FSI Turbo. I called the dealer that serviced it and they said it was brought in regularly for oil changes and the last thing that happened was the timing belt broke and they had to replace the cylinder head. Rather than pay for repairs, the guy traded it in on a new car. He said it had 150k miles on it, but it was regularly maintained.

I googled TFSI and FSI and found a lot of conflicting info---is the engine in this 2008 the same as what they have in the 2010s?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
the last thing that happened was the timing belt broke and they had to replace the cylinder head.
Makes me doubt whether the "regularly maintained" comment is accurate or whether the dealer replaced the timing belt at the required mileage/age (whichever happens first).

I would walk away and find another car, others may think different...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of wondered that myself since the timing belt is usually done around 100k, right? I'd think the service guy would noticed if the belt was cracked--unless of course they did replace it and something went bad with the 2nd one.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I kind of wondered that myself since the timing belt is usually done around 100k, right?
The information I've seen says that it was originally due at 120k miles but Audi changed that to 60k miles or 5 years - whichever happens sooner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's quite a change!

I called the dealership again and the guy said it was the original belt. Might be shame on them for not checking it properly. *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I called the dealership again and the guy said it was the original belt.
Original belt at 150k miles! - the dealer didn't even follow the original 120k mile interval, let alone the revised 60k mile interval. Sounds like a dealer to avoid...

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
The original schedule for changing the timing belt was at 75K miles (IIRC). Audi later updated it to 110K miles/170K km.
That's not what the schedule is in Europe - which is as I posted earlier (originally 120k miles but dropped to 60k miles or 5 years).

So why such a big difference between the US and Europe? - is it because we in Europe use more high revs?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One other question--the 2010 and up 2.0 TFSI engines in the A3 have a timing chain and not a belt, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh really? So even 2008s have a chain? I'd called a couple of dealerships and spoken to service people who told me the timing belt would need changing and then a local indie shop here told me that it didn't because it was a timing chain. I couldn't believe the service guys in a dealership wouldn't know.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
I couldn't believe the service guys in a dealership wouldn't know.
Believe it...

All three of our cars have timing chains - my Audi RS4, my wife's Skoda Fabia and my Citroen C1. Yet we have had letters from the Audi, Skoda and Citroen dealers advising us that the timing belts need changing on each of our cars. Dealers' product knowledge seems to be heading toward zero...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have an RS4? Those cars are sweet!

Is there a definitive guide as to which model year cars have what?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts