1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i bought a calbe HEX-USB-CAN VAG-COM with firmware version 1.44

together with it i got VAGCOM 512.4 now i want to use the newest vagcom
version 6.07 (or what the latest is...)

my vagcom cable gives an interface mistake ?? is it possible by a firmware update or something to get my HEX-USB-CAN Cable to wrok with the newest version of vagcom.

i bought the set on the internet, if i remember a german Car Parts and Tunning Shop. for arround € 150,- together with the Vagcom CD 512.4

yes yes i have the USB model and used the USED type software. 512.4U

and also 6.07U but the last one is not working...

who can help me to solve this problem..

is it a simple firmware update from the adapter or a different USB driver?

help wanted..

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Does the cable say Ross-Tech? If not it might be a cheap copy that doesn't support the dongle feature to enable the VAG-COM software. Or it's simply broken. And the cable has to be plugged in to the car because it gets powered by the OBD port.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vagcom site...

this is what i found on the vagcom site...
----------------------------------------------------
Release Notes:

Works only with Intelligent Interfaces (HEX or KEY series, plus the upcoming micro-CAN).

Available only as a -UD build. People still using Windows 95 or NT4 will have to wait for a full release.

HEX Interfaces require firmware version 1.65. Update is automatic. New firmware is backwards compatible with older versions of VAG-COM.

Default installation location is C:\VAG-COM-Beta. Will not overwrite (and can co-exist with) a full Release version which normally installs in C:\Program Files\VAG-COM.

The Copyright Notice, Disclaimer, and Instructions posted on our main download page
apply to this version as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

HEX Interfaces require firmware version 1.65. Update is automatic

this is especially were i am intrested in... AUTOMATIC.....HOW?

i installed the new version allready but no update ??

did i do something wrong?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no

It says HEX-USB-CAN on the plug.. no rosstech really, cheap what is cheap 150 euro´s is that cheap yes i know some pay $600 for them.. but..

someone has the firmware update to version 1.65 ??

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah

ah.. in my windows i get: NEW HARDWARE FOUND:

"Rosstech USB-HEX" and then the driver??? which one do i use i assume not the 64 bit driver in the VAGCOM DIR.. and when do i the message update firmware?

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The driver is inside the VAG-COM folder, just point it there.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Make sure you are downloading the USB version from the Ross-Tech website, and follow their instructions carefully. Installing any USB drivers into Windows has to be done correctly.

Once the USB driver is installed into Windows the firmware update will happen automatically.

Having had lots of problems with USB drivers in Windows I took the easy way out and got a HEX-COM+CAN lead and a laptop with a serial port!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm using an original HEX-COM+CAN too cause in my garage I have a desktop with serial port and incredible but real with my little laptop a Sony VAIO without the serial port I'm using since last december a serial to USB interface with succes. Ross-Tech doesn't support those interface but in my case I never had any problem.
For charly_holland I suggest to contact Ross-Tech directly just to understand what cable he has and eventually to do an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
driver

hi i installed the driver correctly but NOT the driver from in the vagcom dir in hte new version is in that driver the firmware????
i asumme it is a replica VAGCOM cable.. is was € 150 incl software.
i know i have firmware version 1.44 and there is version 1.65

when i could update i nearly sure it will work.. but i found on the ross tech site it will update automaticly..?? automatic..?? automatic..??
how automatic.?? have to force it in a way not?? maybe i have to deinstall my current usb driver (for 512.4) and use the one described above.. and yes my work is ICT so installing the driver the right way isn t a problem.

i keep yopu informed..
and if anybody know hoe to update the cable firmware please let me know.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
With a genuine Ross-Tech cable and the right software from their website - it really is totally automatic.

Here's what happens:

download the software,
install it,
connect the cable,
plug it into your car,
turn the ignition on,
run VAG-COM,
click on "Test"

and the first thing you see is a dialog box saying that the firmware is being upgraded.

If you've got the USB driver loaded OK and that's not happening then maybe you don't have a genuine Ross-Tech cable?

My genuine cable has a label on the plug that says:

HEX+CAN
Dual-K & CAN <-> RS-232
Interface for VAG-COM
HC403100 Rev. A
www.Ross-Tech.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok

ah ok, then i think this is my problem i did exact the same steps... but never saw any update... tonight i try to mail my reseller . see what he says.. how expensive is your cable(+software) i payed arround € 150 for it but i heard prices from arround € 500-600 euro´s...

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
COM port v USB Port

If you have a choice, go with the 'old fashioned' serial COM port vesion. Not only do you avoid the USB driver install challenges as Dave says, but the Ross Tech Web site indicates that the timing protocols run more accurately. This is because there is no USB driver software to 'slow' things up.

I did not know about this and bought a USB. I find it best to start the VAG Com software application first and then plug in the lead to the computer. That way MS Windows does not proudly announce it has found new software each time.

ILEXA in the UK are Ross Tech approved distributors, but the labelling on the lead does not match what Ross Tech have on their Web site, however it is fully functional.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.