Audi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my second RNS-E unit today from MarioA4.

The first was an A6 unit (wrong for my car) I got off e-bay. Finally got the new one but the PNP harness is wired incorectly I think. I have a Bose Symphony II in my car and there is a brown, black, and red connector attached to it.

The PNP harness I received (Just like the first w/ A6 unit) doesn't have the brown plug for conector A. In my B7 A4, there is no black 10-pin(male) connector in the B7 to plug into the PNP harness.

I've read numerous times in the forums that the RNS-E doesn't use the brown Bose connector (Connector A: Speaker Connector). Connector A carries the audio signal for the front speakers so how can it not be used?

I tried installing my first RNS-E A6 unit in my car without using brown connecor A and the front channels didn't work.
I have yet to install my new 8E0 135 192 J unit tomorrow, but I have a feeling my front speakers aren't going to work again since this new adapter looks the same.

Can someone please explain to me how this PNP harness is going to work with only the Red 20-Pin and black 8-Pin connected? What about the 3 wires that are in the 10-pin black connector? Is it ok that they aren't plugged into anything?

Is there a place (like radio shack) where I can get the wires and brown female connector A to add into my existing harness. What is the proper term to call it, so I can call some electronics stores for the part?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
The 8-pin connector carries speaker signals directly from the RNS-E to the front speakers - UNLESS you have Bose, when all the speakers are amplified and this connector is redundant.

The RNS-E does not have direct outputs for the rear speakers - they MUST be connected to an amplifier in all cases.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Second Dave's comments. The 8-pin brown connector is not used if you have the BOSE system. If your front speakers don't work when you plug it in, make sure of two things:

1. Your "BOSE" pin is properly connected. In your PNP harness, the RNS pin B7 should be connected to your 20-pin Symphony connector III, pin 1. Alternatively, the pin B7 may be connected directly to ground.

2. Your RNS-E unit will have to be VAG coded to the "BOSE" setting. It will then send out the front speaker audio to the BOSE amp and everything will sound right.

To answer your question, YES the RNS-E will work with only the 8-pin black connector and 20-pin connectors attached. You will never need the 8-pin brown connector (as discussed above), and the 10-pin connector is only needed if you have a TEL connection.

·
Super Moderator
11,350 Posts
NSX JR said:
and the 10-pin connector is only needed if you have a TEL connection.
Which is what the three wires you mention are for - telephone mute and telephone audio + and -.

If you don't have a phone hands free kit then leaving those three wires unconnected is OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts