Audi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RNS-E all installed, but it seems to flicker every now and then.

Coding: 0509133 and no fault codes

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Thats has been reported before on older B5 and C5. Can't rememeber if the CANGate or a newer cluster was the fix at that time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I believe it was a newer cluster, that fixed the problem. If I remember correctly, it was bfly that had the cluster replaced. He had the cluster replaced before we had a chance to look at it with CANGate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bjarne said:
I believe it was a newer cluster, that fixed the problem. If I remember correctly, it was bfly that had the cluster replaced. He had the cluster replaced before we had a chance to look at it with CANGate.
so is this a reason to build one CANGate :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes, that would be another reason :D

I have also received a few inquiries since I decided to put this aside for a while. So instead of the 3-4 month, that I have been quoting people, I will probably move it up to 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a B6 2006 A4 Cab with RNS-E from the factory. I have noticed the same thing. I have learned to live with it as my dealer is useless when it comes to the electronics in the car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
bjarne said:
I also had lines going out on the DIS. That coupled with the RNS-E flickering all the time giving me the disclaimer screen drove me nuts. The new cluster was worth every penny!

The clock problem would probably have driven me to distraction as well if it wasn't for Bjarne's CANGate.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've noticed that when the time on the cluster match the time on the rns, it resets every 5 to 10 minutes, but when the time is off, it resets about every minute. i don't know if it's a coincidence or consistant, but it's hard to pay attention to it all the time. fortunately, i don't have to deal with the warning screen i guess. the real annoyance is that the DIS goes to compass/navigation screen after the reset even if i have it on the info screen prior (and i dont want to turn off the compass setting)

anyways, thanks bjarne for starting production again. can't wait to get my hands on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CANGate fixes it

Took a 2 hour drive after I installed CANGate and didn't flicker even once.

·
Registered
517 Posts
WOW!!!

That is a surprise, but I was going to ask you to see if it got better or worse, or the same, before we started investigating further.

Timing of messages are a little different since they are relayed by CANGate, but I really did not expect it to fix it.

But let's see, only time will tell :D

Please let me know here, or by email, if it stays fixed or if it comes back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
500+ miles and not a single flicker.... prior to CANGate, during my normal work commute of ~30 miles/45 minutes, it would reset at least once.

now i just wish that the rns-e had some sort of internal clock so that the time doesn't freeze if the key isn't in the ignition.

·
Registered
235 Posts
maybe an update on the cangate software - if the key isn't in the ignition, get the time from the gps :)
BJ - we all seems to have tons of work for you! *laughs*

·
Registered
517 Posts
dchoe said:
500+ miles and not a single flicker.... prior to CANGate, during my normal work commute of ~30 miles/45 minutes, it would reset at least once.
That is good news, it looks like it fixed it :D
Of course, that also means I won't have a chance to really figure out, what the problem is :(

dchoe said:
now i just wish that the rns-e had some sort of internal clock so that the time doesn't freeze if the key isn't in the ignition.
When you remove the key, the RNSE turns off, so it sounds like you are turning it on manually. In that case it will run from it's internal timebase, continuing from the time it last got from the cluster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bjarne said:
That is good news, it looks like it fixed it :D
Of course, that also means I won't have a chance to really figure out, what the problem is :(
it seemed, but was never able to confirm, that the reset happened when the rns realized the clock jumped back in time.

bjarne said:
When you remove the key, the RNSE turns off, so it sounds like you are turning it on manually. In that case it will run from it's internal timebase, continuing from the time it last got from the cluster.
it just sticks to the last time the cluster was on. if i open the door, cluster turns on and updates the rns clock. otherwise, the clock freezes. the rns would turn off after like 20 or so minutes, so i would have to power it up again and the clock is still 'stuck'

i'm not used to looking at the rns for the correct time now, but i can see myself assuming whatever the rns shows will be the real time. oh well

·
Registered
517 Posts
I am trying to get this to happen in my A6, but I don't seem to find the right combination.

At lunch time I went out and turned the car on, then I turned the ignition off, turned the RSNE on via the power button. And I watched the time increment every second.

Tonight, after the car had been sitting for about six hours, I went out and unlocked the car, opened the passenger door, turned the RNSE on via the power button, and the time it showed was correct.

So how, exactly, do you get this to happen?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
take key out, turn the radio back on without leaving the car. i'm in my car for a good 20 or so minutes waiting to pick up the gf. (cangate didn't cause this, it would happen before i installed it)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.